from 4wd to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I'm pretty sick of my truck. I've never been a big 4x4 guy and I bought this truck in a panic after I totaled my red C20. The four wheel drive doesn't even work, there's no front drive shaft and the front gears are 273 whereas I put 4-10s in the rear. It has like A 4 inch lift on it and rides like dammit. With the 35s the pavement is loud, even with sound deadener all over the cab and carpet. I just never even want to drive it anymore. Even though I have it lined out pretty well, I could drive it anywhere 90 miles an hour the whole way. I get tons of looks and thumbs up because everyone loves the four-wheel-drive look.

I bought a short bed 2 wheel drive truck for two hundred bucks. No motor no trans and the rear axle has issues. But I was thinking I could take the front crossmember out of it and put it on my truck, and swap leaf springs in the rear or whatever I had to do, get rid of the transfer case, get rid of the 35s and basically have a stock 2 wheel drive truck.

With my engine in a lighter 2wd truck it would be nasty. Plus ride wayyyy better.

So a few questions. Once I take out the transfer case I'll have to do something to the 700r4. Is there a tail shaft I can add? Then have the driveshaft fitted.

Are the holes for the 2wd front crosssmember already in the 4wd frame? I have not had a chance to look.

Is there any way to easily convert my rear 12 bolt axle which I like to 5 lug from 6? I hate to have to start all over on a new axle when I just put 4.10s and the Eaton lsd in it.

Anything else I'm missing?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1479089606865.jpg
    FB_IMG_1479089606865.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1105160828a.jpg
    1105160828a.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 108

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
:'-(

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
there is not a single hole on the front that will line up. I just done the opposite.

the rear spring hangers are taller on a 4x4 so they will need changed

your 12 bolt is easy just put 2 wheel drive 5 lug axle shafts in it from a 12 bolt

look in the under construction forum for my 84 crew cab build should not be buried yet. you will need to do the opposite of that

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Thoughts on getting it back to stock 4wd with few upgrades in the front suspension? It is not going to be as smooth as 2wd, but should be a lot better than what you currently have. And fix 4wd while you are at it.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention, the transfer case is presumably cratered as well. It makes a grinding sound when I turn the front yoke by hand and leaks a metal colored oily grime all over the pavement from the front seal. I changed the seal but the yoke slip is worn.

So to make the 4wd work I'd have to remove and rebuild the transfer case, New front yoke, that's a couple hundred bucks to do that, then I'd have to either buy a new driveshaft from lmc or have my driveshaft guy build one, either one is $400 bucks, and then I'd have to swap ring and pinion in the front to match the rear. Another couple hundred bucks. So I'm looking at a grand or more to do that.

I could bring the truck back to stock lift but when my brohter welded the perched on the axle he welded them wrong angle so I took the lift blocks and cut them at an angle to correct the pinion angle. So take away the blocks and I've got **** pinion angle again. I'd have to fix that either way of I wanted to use the axle in any other other form.

Looks like it may be better to frshen up the frame on the donor truck and just swap the drivetrain and body into it to use the 2wd frame

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I love the frame swap idea!! I, too, like a 2wd over 4x4. I just never need 4wd and 2wd is so much smoother :)

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I just never need 4wd and 2wd is so much smoother

Well there's your problem!

Gonna have quite the time transferring the 2wd front suspension onto the 4wd frame. Very little, if anything, is going to line up in that regard.

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
:mad: watch it bub! :gathering:

Don't mind me, just looks as though you're missing a few lug nuts. :shrug:.

Might wanna get that looked at:cheers:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Lol :nutkick:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Don't mind me, just looks as though you're missing your nuts. :shrug:.

Might wanna get that looked at:cheers:

I TOLD Cob not to piss off the misses. See Cob??? You end up with NO NUTS :whymewhyme:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
700r4 will need a different output shaft for 2wd. If other frame is clean and you have time, transmission work should be the only expense.

For me, it is easier and faster to return the truck back to stock 4wd instead of swaping everything to a 2wd frame. Less downtime and less weight to handle. It alsmost srems it might be better to find a nice 2wd truck and sell the current one.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
700r4 will need a different output shaft for 2wd. If other frame is clean and you have time, transmission work should be the only expense.

For me, it is easier and faster to return the truck back to stock 4wd instead of swaping everything to a 2wd frame. Less downtime and less weight to handle. It alsmost srems it might be better to find a nice 2wd truck and sell the current one.

I second this. You are talking about a big headache to try to get the 2wd front suspension on a 4wd frame. Dimensions will be slightly different where the motor mounts and engine crossmember are. Nothing is going to line up identically from 2wd to 4wd frame. There will be a lot of figuring, measuring, drilling, etc. to make it work right. You're better off keeping it 4wd and getting a better set of springs, rebuilding the transfer case, re-gearing your front axle, and getting a set of road tires. OOOORRRRR, just sell it and get a 2wd.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well converting the 4wd frame to 2wd is already out the window. I'm sure even stock height 4wd solid axle rides like **** so I'd rather no spend a grand plus to get it stock and working and still ride like crap.

Selling is out of the question as well. I've put too much in this truck to start all over again. All the interior is new, down to the door seals and felt, window gears, all the hoses and belts and clamps are new, electric fans, big block radiator, my engine I built with my dad 10 years ago who is now deceased, etc. I love the truck as far as body and interior and drivetrain I just hate the ride and noise. I could strip it and keep all my good stuff but then the truck would be a shell and I wouldn't get **** for it.

I have a company vehicle so downtime isn't an issue.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What is going on in this thread here?

Wtf was @kleedus doing here?

Is this even real right now?

Its a joke right? I get it bro, that truck is white - but why don't you paint it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl