frame question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockabillyc10

Reaction score
hello,thought i post my question here why I,m waiting on my membership to 67-72chevytrucks.I was woundering if there was any differnce in a 78 frame and a 84 the reason is I have 84 longbed and 78 longbed that the body is in rust heaven but the frame is good and I was thanking of cleaning it up and droping it show i can still us the 84 why I do this. then if the frames are the same put the 84 body on it when I was done and one more thing does anybody know where I can get a sunvisor that goes down with the windsheild not the kind that look like baseball cap bill. thanks:):)

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
IIRC, the only difference between the two frames would be at the front on the frame horns where the front bumper mounts. I believe the 73-80 trucks with the flat nose were different from the 81-87 trucks. I'm sure that somebody will chime in and say if I'm wrong or not because I'm just not 100% sure.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The frames are very similar. I believe most of the body mounts match, but, the bumper horns will not match.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I believe the 73-80 trucks with the flat nose were different from the 81-87 trucks. I'm sure that somebody will chime in and say if I'm wrong or not because I'm just not 100% sure.

The sheet metal LOOKS similar, but, they're not easily swapped.

In addition to the extra little lip at the front of the hood and fenders, the hoods mount differently.

On the 81 & up, the hinge is part of the cab, cut into the firewall The spring portion of the hinge mounts to the fender.

On the older trucks, the hinge and spring are part of the same assembly and everything mounts to the fender. It was changed because when the springs stiffen up, it was common for the hoods to bend where the brace for the hinge ends.

rockabillyc10

Reaction score
thank for the replies I guess I will see what I will do when I get the 78 home this week it was free was thing of using the 78 grill and bumper some how and yes they are diffent but was thank of some way to mould it in

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I knew about the sheet metal being different from 73-80 and 81-87, but I was saying that I wasn't 100% sure about the frames being different. I've actually thought about swapping a 73 or 74 front clip onto my 88 Sub, but like you said, it's not easily swapped and I have much more I want to do on "Fillmore" so it can wait.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
thank for the replies I guess I will see what I will do when I get the 78 home this week it was free was thing of using the 78 grill and bumper some how and yes they are diffent but was thank of some way to mould it in

Anything is possible with the right amount of fabrication skills. The question is, SHOULD it be done?

booger69

Reaction score
i did a swap just like this an 82 body on to a 76 frame the only thing i had to do was trim the frame horns some its not much and you have to use the body mounts from which frame you are using

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the older frames are heavier and such but as far as I know everything bolts over between the 2 other then the bumper issues. I think alot of ppl said just use the body mounts that match the body year.

LOL 67-72chevytrucks.com

I'm banned from their til tomorrow night. IMo you're better off here or on capt's site 73-87chevytrucks.com

rockabillyc10

Reaction score
will it's ago my plains are to box the rear of the frame in and move the leafspring to the in side at the same time fliping it.Was thank of runing dull tires like pro street style but with wide white wall on the out side you could say hillbilly pro street.was allshow woundering if any body had any pic of grills for 81-87 that are diffent than stock are tube one and thanks for post. going to join 73-87 chevytruck.com tommor still waiting on e-mail from 67-72 chevytruck ?

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
jaymez, i guess this is why you invited me here... :D

for starters, the frames will interchange. you will need to use the cab mount and core support mount rubbers that match the frame.

to get the front bumper from an 81+ truck onto a pre-80 frame, you'll need to cut the frame at a 45* angle, where it wraps around the front, in order to take in the center 4 bumper bolts on the 73-80 bumper. this is for clearance for the new inner mounts. the outers should line up.

if you're swapping an entire body, you won't need to modify any of the sheet metal at all... it came apart, it will bolt right back together.

edit: if you guys are refering to "capt", meaning CaptKaos (Chris Lucas) ask him about pics for the trimming for the front bumper. he had pics from one of his trucks on just where to cut it.

Last edited:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
now for swapping front sheet metal, you're going to need alot of things...

(73-80 front on 81+ cab and chassis)
radiator support
front fenders
inner fenders
hood
hood hinges
front light harness
all associated trim and mouldings, exterior latch for the hood
wiper mechanism from a 73-80 truck, including windshield washer nozzles and hoses
filler metal (and a welder) to cover the slits in the cowl where the factory hinges recess in.

(81+ clip on 73-80 truck)
you'll need all of the above except:
wiper mech from an 81+ truck
something to cut the cowl for the hinges to recess into
you will also need an 81+ wiper cowl panel (between the hood and the windshield)

i'm actually planning on doing this swap on my 80 at some point, though funds are very low right now, and there isn't a whole lot wrong with the front sheet metal right now, other than a kinked and rusted hood. i don't know how long it will be before i get to it.

rockabillyc10

Reaction score
:gmfs:thanks greasedog been out of town I was woundering how to make the bumper of the 84 to fit still need to get the 78 home. as for the front in leaving the 84 on was looking at making custome grill set up using dual round light like the one on I thank 87s over under my son a photoshop wize hop to post pic soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda