Changing from 80 square headlight back to 74-78 round headlight question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 1980 square headlight and would like to change it to the 73-78 round headlight.
I understand I need the bezels, round headlight buckets and all the other small screws adjusters etc, but was unsure if they would work on my existing rad support.
I thought I read a post somewhere that the round headlight buckets would bolt up to the 1980 square headlight model rad support.
If this was the case why would they produce a round headlight and a square headlight rad support for the 1980 model?

I am guessing I misunderstood the post (can't seem to find it again) and if I want to convert I need another rad support as well. Any one on here do the same change and confirm if this is needed or not? The cost of another rad support will probably make me rethink the change unless I can come across one for cheap.

Thanks for any help.
John

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 1980 square headlight and would like to change it to the 73-78 round headlight.
I understand I need the bezels, round headlight buckets and all the other small screws adjusters etc, but was unsure if they would work on my existing rad support.
I thought I read a post somewhere that the round headlight buckets would bolt up to the 1980 square headlight model rad support.
If this was the case why would they produce a round headlight and a square headlight rad support for the 1980 model?

I am guessing I misunderstood the post (can't seem to find it again) and if I want to convert I need another rad support as well. Any one on here do the same change and confirm if this is needed or not? The cost of another rad support will probably make me rethink the change unless I can come across one for cheap.

Thanks for any help.
John
1979 and 1980 also have circle headlight. But the trim goes around the turn signal. 78 and older it doesnt. if you have the circle 1980 core support, youre good. if you do not, you will need that. YOu also need the valence piece below the grille.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Thanks for any help.
John
You must be registered for see images attach

1980 stock circle. higher trims got the rectangle.

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't like the 79/80 round with the bezel that surrounds the turn signal.
If I am going to change mine I want to go back to the 73-78 style.

I guess I will need to keep an eye out for a round headlight rad support.
Thanks

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If the old bezels and such are still serviceable, you could sell them to recoup the cost of converting to original pre 79 design.

Don't throw it away. Some of us like that trim.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Thanks
if you have the circle headlights now you just need the bezels, the valence (runs along the bottom) and a grille (asnd the grilles brackets) as well as the trim for the turn signals bezels
I cant remember if there is a screw hole spot for the bezels on the core support for the turns but if not maybe you can add them

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If the old bezels and such are still serviceable, you could sell them to recoup the cost of converting to original pre 79 design.

Don't throw it away. Some of us like that trim.
they are very valuable, @Bextreme04 i think said they arent available in metal anymore so $$$$$$

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yes, the '80 square headlight trucks have a different radiator support than the '80-down round headlight trucks. I have seen people claim online that they made the swap without changing the core support but do not know what's involved, I'm sure there was a bit of "rigging".

For the '73/74 grille swap, you will need a different hood latch and grille support brackets at a minimum. But I would definitely suggest getting the correct core support so the swap is done well. We sell everything you'd need at AMD, just FYI

'80 Square:

'75-80 Round:

'73/74:

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Yes, the '80 square headlight trucks have a different radiator support than the '80-down round headlight trucks. I have seen people claim online that they made the swap without changing the core support but do not know what's involved, I'm sure there was a bit of "rigging".

For the '73/74 grille swap, you will need a different hood latch and grille support brackets at a minimum. But I would definitely suggest getting the correct core support so the swap is done well. We sell everything you'd need at AMD, just FYI

'80 Square:

'75-80 Round:

'73/74:
Wow, that's a big difference that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the visual aid! So if dude is going to change it out, be sure the core support goes with the rest of the parts.

Ichy62

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Thanks for any help.
John
The rect headlight bucket is spot welded on from the factory but the mounting plane is the same. I converted a 74 to 80 back when, just used the chrome headlight door to locate, definitely no core support replacement necessary, just swap the bucket

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240129_074517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240129_074517_Gallery.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a round rad support and valance and other parts would like to trade if close enough I am in northern Calif.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches

Thanks
Sell the old bezels if you don't want them. Do not throw them in the garbage, as they are no longer being made, only plastic ones made in some foreign country.

J.B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef