Fiberglass hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I have never felt tingly about one of those years of Chevelles before.
Hot damn that looks good.

Every special part on there is either 70-72 Chevelle, Corvette, or 1/2 ton square body.

I didn't really mean to become the flagship racer for that body style vehicle. I was just racing it because that's what I had.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Great lookin A body! Y U No S3 Laguna nose?

Dad ordered that car for my mom to drive. He had to get the base Malibu so that he could get the police package.

It came with the LS4 454, Turbo 400 trans, 3.42 posi and Goodyear "Blue Dot" pursuit tires on 15x8 Corvette rally wheels.

K

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
One other thought: I don't think you are going to want to lift off that hood every time you work on the motor. It's like carrying a horizontal piece of drywall around by yourself.

Read this over and over... so true.
I made a mold for a square hood along with an Corvette L88 scoop on it. No hinged just pins.
I could lift it off by grabbing on to the dip in the L88 scoop and pressing my chest into the front of the hood. Any heavier and I wouldn't have been able to do this alone. Then you need to set it down without damaging the pointy ends of the hood where it meets the cowl.

It was a lot of work making the mold. First I had to make the plug... used my steel hood with the L88 scoop riveted on. Did the bodywork and spayed some old paint on it. The with the help of the mold maker we hit it with a release spray and started spraying resin with a chop gun. After that, a wooden frame gets built around the mold and reinforced from the underside. Everything gets buried with the chop gun. Lots of details. If I wanted hinges, a plywood block would get glassed in place for fat wood screws to sink into.

It's easy to make a fiberglass part too heavy, and it's just as easy to make it too thin and flexy.

Whenever you buy a glass body part, be prepared to sink several hours in to fitting it. The manufactures can't do this for you, the price would give strong men heart attacks.

I never worked in the industry, I worked at a glass factory building a giant vacuum form machine and repaired an assembly line and made steel molds for converting a little glass shed into a **** house. But I made a good connection and drank some with the mold maker. He was an old guy totally toxic from working his whole life in a very toxic industry. This factory for most part made tubs and showers.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:jawdrop: !! holy...

Man that's cool! :cool:

Y'all remember the "what is your mobile tool kit" thread while back? I made comment then about dragging around 80 pounds worth of ******** AND that was AFTER I hit 4820 on the scizzales. I haven't stopped thinking about it...I got another one week before I can get the wheels.

I gotta get em quick too because I dont want em to go away or i'd buy a $245 bolt on fiberglass hood tomorrow. Gonna put the tires on lawaway - sell these 31s on craigslist.

Shootin for the 21st. :waytogo:

Last edited:

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Try this you will be the only one with this costly but I think it worth it https://autofab.com/i-18131106-1973-1980-chevy-truck-blazer-fiberglass-drop-center-hood.html it bad ass
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

These pic are the 73 to 80 they don't have pic of the 81 to 87 this hood was originally made by Hickey Enterprises
1981 - 1987 Chevy Truck to 1991 Blazer/Suburban Fiberglass Drop Center Hood
(0) Reviews: Write first review
SKU: CH104
Nice looking drop center hood for the 1981 to 1987 Chevy Trucks. Will also fit up to 1991 Blazer/Suburbans. As priced race mounting intended for 4 hood pin mounting. Hinge panel available for $100 extra. Make sure to check that box when ordering.
Shipping: Made to order, allow truck freight for shipping
Pricing: $600.00
Customize Your Item
This is the optional extra hinge panel for using stock hinges

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They don't look right at all on old Chevys.

Reactions: WFO

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I saw one of those while I was looking - about $600 it seems. I think it looks cool in those application pics - but what's the point?
What does it do? I don't get it. Holds hot air in sand resrricts flow through the radiator?At least a cowl induction hood helps move air in and out of the engine bay....they are too much cheaper than even a simple FLAT/STOCK replacement fiberglass hood...cowl induction hoods..they must sell more.
To the tune of $250 vs. $400. I havent looked in a minute but thats about right I think. There is a finite number of sources...I'm more than happy to run a 1 inch cowl hood to save $150 and who knows how much weight? A LOT I bet. :waytogo:
Think that drop center forces air out the bottom of the bay? I dunno. Different fer sure but i'm WAY cheaper than that!
Add visibility? :rolleyes: i'm good. Might be interested if it made go faster but I don't see that. Looks like it would hold heat to me..I bet it raises underhood temps lookin at it.

Thanks for your input. :) welcome new guy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm