Favorite Project Truck Sales Pitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
The people that say it runs and drives well then immediately follow it up with mentioning it needs a major component replaced.

“Runs and drives great just needs a transmission/turbo/transfer case/rear diffs
/etc”

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Car is all original and straight. (It was as ripply as water on a windy day)
No rust anywhere! (that you can see. Entire car behind A pillar was covered with mounds of bondo and a cheap paint job. It had new fenders and hood up front) Oh, headlights were in upside down..

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
"Only selling because I have too many projects...will consider trades." I think what they are trying to say is....they want a project car just not this one....

or "Should be easy money for a quick flip....I'd do it myself I just don't have the time."

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Drove 4 hours to look at a 69 C10. Was told "engine runs strong". As I drove up, I could see the starter hanging just off the ground by the main wire. Popped the hood and the heads and intake were missing. I said "runs strong"? He says "well, it will once you put it together".

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What cracks me up is "Body rusty, have all patch panels... just need installed."

Yeah, because buying the panels is the hardest part, lol.

I still don't understand why "Ran/drove when parked" bugs so many people. As long as they are truthful, it's a good sign that it will run/drive again without too much effort.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
What cracks me up is "Body rusty, have all patch panels... just need installed."

Yeah, because buying the panels is the hardest part, lol.

I still don't understand why "Ran/drove when parked" bugs so many people. As long as they are truthful, it's a good sign that it will run/drive again without too much effort.
That is true. Ran when parked just means it was mechanically functional when parked and the ot thing wrong with it is age. Better than being towed to where it was parked, or smokey/steamy and barely running when parked, because then who knows.

My boss often uses the line has rust but I have all the patch panels. He was the type to buy the panels as soon as he thought he needed them and then never had the time install them. That's actually a good thing though, because with those, he bought them 20 years ago when they were cheap, so he has less money in them then than you would now to buy them new.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Soundmound ..I'll buy it NOW,that is a he!! of a sales pitch, have never heard better!!!!

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Soundmound ..I'll buy it NOW,that is a he!! of a sales pitch, have never heard better!!!!
Yeah I have to agree. I started the thread looking for laughs about BS sales pitches that you knew we’re gonna cost you money but have probably had the most fun with this one and with the “bottled hell” listing.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My boss often uses the line has rust but I have all the patch panels. He was the type to buy the panels as soon as he thought he needed them and then never had the time install them. That's actually a good thing though, because with those, he bought them 20 years ago when they were cheap, so he has less money in them then than you would now to buy them new.
^Thats not actually a business plan…lol!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the topic of frustrating sales pitches….
Shopping for a new or newish work truck currently.
In the last 10 years or so around here, “private party” sales on CL and FB have become increasingly not private party but Russian / Eastern Europe gippo car flippers and now the Habibis are getting into it as well.
Used to be mostly older junk. Now it seems 9 out of 10 “private party” used vehicles are these jackwads.
After looking for a while one is able to mostly discern what adds and pics are staged by these guys vs actual private owners.
But now it’s just out of hand.
One truck I was really interested in, seemed legit as in legitimately a private party, no phone number in add (not uncommon but just rude, imo), guy takes 3 days to get back to me. Then tells me he’s out of town won’t be back for a week…wtf? Then has been blowing up my phone and e-mail to “schedule a test drive.” Fokkers even replied with 2 different names by email and text. Won’t answer questions straight.
Example, “Are you the original owner?” Answer, “Yes it was new in 2019…”
“Original tires?” Answer, “Tires are in great conditions.” (I can clearly see a curb rash whitewall on the RF tire, and they’re the OE tire still, and clearly never rotated since only 1 tire is shredded from scrubbing curbs)

Man…FOCK those guys….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1