Favorite Jack Stands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1979k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those may be good for me. But most of these guys drive stock, or lowered trucks. Dont think a minimum of 28" is low enough.
The question was "favorite jack stands?" I answered the question:shrug:

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would like to put 24000 lbs on a 12 ton jack stand and watch what happens. I could be wrong, steel is strong ****.

And I was kidding about cinder blocks and fire wood.

Just as an FYI jack stands are usually rated in pairs. So its 12 tons per pair evenly distributed. 6 tons per stand.

Also, I bought the harbor freight 6 tons when I was installing a lift in my 66 bronco. Wish I had bought the 12 tons for the extra height and the stability. I probably will buy them when the moeny tree starts blooming again

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I use the Craftsman not the shortest ones but next level up for cars, they arent much good under the lifted 4x4 i had.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My truck fell backwards off the HF 6 tons. User error, or at least my driveway has a slope to it. They tipped right over and dropped ole Daryl back onto his tires.

I'm sure all 6 tons have about the same size base though, so there's not much I can do there.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Just as an FYI jack stands are usually rated in pairs. So its 12 tons per pair evenly distributed. 6 tons per stand.

Also, I bought the harbor freight 6 tons when I was installing a lift in my 66 bronco. Wish I had bought the 12 tons for the extra height and the stability. I probably will buy them when the moeny tree starts blooming again
I had no idea, thanks for that.
I still want to crush one in a big press!

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I had no idea, thanks for that.
I still want to crush one in a big press!
I would love to see something like that. I'm curious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Other than the Ex-Cell jacks, I don't really believe any of these jacks will hold the weight they claim.
Of course we will hardly ever load them to the point they advertise. Some day, with a big enough press I will destroy a few to learn for sure. Remember One ton is 2000 lbs. I would like to put 24000 lbs on a 12 ton jack stand and watch what happens. I could be wrong, steel is strong ****.

And I was kidding about cinder blocks and fire wood.
So I'm gonna revive this thread because I was able to return my 6 tons. I noticed something. They have a nice set of aluminum 3 ton stands that seem to have a no gap between the jack part and the teeth, so they feel rock solid and don't wiggle. Mine had a bit of a gap as well as the regular 3 tons I looked at. I don't know what it is about them but they seem pretty good. I think I' either gonna buy those or get the AC Delco ones. I am gonna see if I can look at the ACDelco ones to compare that gap. I don't know how else to describe it. But on the aluminum ones there is almost no room for the teeth part to wiggle. Anyone know why this is?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...nBQmA5w7ImSQzLwhrV1uKNcDTIZGFvvBoCxrgQAvD_BwE

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So I'm gonna revive this thread because I was able to return my 6 tons. I noticed something. They have a nice set of aluminum 3 ton stands that seem to have a no gap between the jack part and the teeth, so they feel rock solid and don't wiggle. Mine had a bit of a gap as well as the regular 3 tons I looked at. I don't know what it is about them but they seem pretty good. I think I' either gonna buy those or get the AC Delco ones. I am gonna see if I can look at the ACDelco ones to compare that gap. I don't know how else to describe it. But on the aluminum ones there is almost no room for the teeth part to wiggle. Anyone know why this is?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-jack-stands-91760.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+All+Products+-+Higher+Sales+Items|New+Products+-+(3)+Price+$30-50|91760&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=smntxkiYL|pcrid|296324984313|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|91760|&pgrid=60674595798&ptaid=pla-296061308802&pcid=1458484684&intent=Higher+Sale&gclid=CjwKCAjw-7LrBRB6EiwAhh1yX3Q0WvLiwTU7h3vZpDLZmenBQmA5w7ImSQzLwhrV1uKNcDTIZGFvvBoCxrgQAvD_BwE

Those are sweet!
I think they are just forged more accurately, and they should be.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Since the picture links in my earlier post are now bad, and I can't edit the post (for whatever bizarre reason) let's try this.

These 12 ton double-locking jack stands are awesome. Mine are Torin Big Red, but they are sold under various names. Shown next to some old HF 6-ton stands which are wobbly above the height shown.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Since the picture links in my earlier post are now bad, and I can't edit the post (for whatever bizarre reason) let's try this.

These 12 ton double-locking jack stands are awesome. Mine are Torin Big Red, but they are sold under various names. Shown next to some old HF 6-ton stands which are wobbly above the height shown.

You must be registered for see images
I have some like that with the pin, and despite my first post in this thread, I do feel better underneath when I see that pin in place.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have some like that with the pin, and despite my first post in this thread, I do feel better underneath when I see that pin in place.
See I notice in that picture the little part on the left has a bigger gap on the HF than the Torins. I also like the idea of the pin. I suppose I will look into those torins as well. Right now I really like the ACDelco, the aluminum HF's and those torins.

Also are the aluminum ones from HF welded? Or are they just one piece? If so does that mean it's a bit more durable?

I also am curious If I need the anti sink base. Because I'll be working in my garage. Do jack stands without that anti sink actual put cracks/holes in garage floor? Thanks.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
See I notice in that picture the little part on the left has a bigger gap on the HF than the Torins. I also like the idea of the pin. I suppose I will look into those torins as well. Right now I really like the ACDelco, the aluminum HF's and those torins.

Also are the aluminum ones from HF welded? Or are they just one piece? If so does that mean it's a bit more durable?

I also am curious If I need the anti sink base. Because I'll be working in my garage. Do jack stands without that anti sink actual put cracks/holes in garage floor? Thanks.

These are the small differences which determine quality. Lot's of that cheap **** looks the same... some of it is! SOME of it is...

I can't determine from the pics how the aluminum stand is made. To be honest it looks like steel with the ratchet jack part being alum.
Or perhaps the stand is also forged/pressed into shape. Once the tooling for something like this made, look out! Wham bam make a million in a week. Sell them cheap all over the free world and make millions$$$ on a cheap piece p of **** jack stand! Boys... we're in the wrong bizness!!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

The anti-sink base is just in case you still want to give your money away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes