Engine troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Edelbrock makes a dual plane intake (Performer) that has a mounting pad designed to work with either squarebore or spreadbore carbs. They also sell the Performer EPS that is squarebore only. They are available new from many sources, and also appear frequently on eBay. I don't have any experience with using a squarebore to spreadbore adapter, but it might be worth trying on your stock intake if you switch to squarebore.

Replacing the intake manifold is not hard, but does require some time and mechanical skill. Its a very common mod to improve performance of a Chevy SBC, so there are lots of how-to articles out there. I assume your engine is stock 1955-1986 design, but you need to check. The heads and intake manifold bolt pattern changed for 87 and later.

I have used the Edelbrock 1406, and its a reliable carburetor with relatively easy tuning adjustments. I also think the QuickFuel Slayer carburetor may be a good budget choice, but I've never used one myself. I like Quadrajets and I have one on my truck, but repairing and tuning a Quadrajet with unknown problems is not a simple task. You never know what has been changed on your carburetor.

A few simple checks for the Quadrajet
- Start out with a new fuel filter in the fuel inlet, setting correct float level, and a good cleanup of the junk inside the float bowl. Measure fuel pressure and verify good fuel flow. Also check the float to make sure it does still float (some develop holes).
- Verify that the accelerator pump works (you can look down the venturi and see it squirt fuel when you move the throttle linkage.
- Check all the vacuum lines and make sure they are in good condition. I recommend connecting the distributor to unported vacuum (always has vacuum) to give more advance at idle.
- Also check the larger hose to the PCV valve and the hose to the brake booster to make sure they are in good shape and properly connected. You may also have a hose running to an evaporative fuel canister mounted up near the firewall. If these hoses deteriorate they can cause a very significant vacuum leak, which will really screw up your idle mixture.
- Turn the mixture screws about 2 turns out, and then gradually turn them out further (about 1/4 turn at a time) until you get best idle vacuum. These screws are a PIA to reach, so be patient. As you make it richer and the idle goes up you may need to adjust the throttle stop screw to set the idle back down. You want to check everything at about 700-800 RPM in Park, but ensure you still get 650-700 rpm when you put it in Drive.
- With the engine warm, make sure the choke plate goes fully 90 degrees after warm-up.
- Now disconnect and plug the vacuum advance hose to the distributor, and check base timing. Usually about 8 degrees BTDC at idle is a good starting point if you use 87 octane fuel, but up to 12 should still work fine. Then keep the timing light pointed at the balancer and rev up the engine to make sure you see it advance as engine RPM goes up. Then reconnect the vacuum advance line to the distributor and verify that at idle it advances when vacuum is applied.

It just occured to me that if you have an original '73 distributor you may have a points ignition system that requires maintenance and setting the points gap. Or maybe someone has already installed an HEI distributor (GM started using them in '75).

Bruce

Last edited:

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
my bet is on the fuel filter.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What? Why bother to verify the two dollar fix prior to planning a purchase?

Dude. The 1406 is junk.

If you use one your truck will be junk too.

I'll make sure to wave on my way by so you aren't lonely...don't worry! I'm not trying to start **** with ol Bruce up there but our opinion varies about Edelbrock carbs.
I have one for sale, I can save you money if you insist. $100 + ship with electric choke.

Ran fine when swapped for a Holley.
*coff coff*

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh oh... Did i start a generell discussion or open old wounds? :)
@Rusty Nail:
You are rigth. Normally i would start rebuilding the carb but the last carb i disassamble was from an 84 Vespa (2stroke Vespa :) )
So, i‘m a little bit scared to make it worse as it is. I know how to handle a screwdriver but a 4barrel carb seems to be a new big challange.

First what i do is to go through Bruce‘s list. Hopefully somewhere is the solution! Btw @75gmck25 thx a lot for your detailed posts!!!

If i have to change to the edelbrock i will buy a new intake. In germany i can get a set with intake and carb for 710€. Is a 500cfm for a stoke engine enough?

Badest thing is, that i don‘t get the filter for the quadrajet in germany...Have to order in the US, maybe i will order the rebuild as well.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude the filters cost two bucks maybe. PM me your address and I'll mail you one. No cost, don't worry about it..let's get it fixed first.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
What? Why bother to verify the two dollar fix prior to planning a purchase?

Dude. The 1406 is junk.

If you use one your truck will be junk too.

I'll make sure to wave on my way by so you aren't lonely...don't worry! I'm not trying to start **** with ol Bruce up there but our opinion varies about Edelbrock carbs.
I have one for sale, I can save you money if you insist. $100 + ship with electric choke.

Ran fine when swapped for a Holley.
*coff coff*

Hate to say it but I had a Qjet rebuilt and it ran worse than the 1405 that was on it. 1406 on the way. Next step target practice.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Line em up!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You'll quit screwin around one day and buy a Holley...right?

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thx Rusty for your offer! Sounds like a plan;) But i will pay for it! But first, lets wait for my truck. Hope i will get him back pretty soon... Maybe you can add the carb to your package. If i don‘t get it run i maybe gona take it. Details about the carb can be discussed after that?!

Sounds like the question about carbs is like the question about politics. Only hate or love. Nothing between:D

Sadly i don‘t live in the US! In germany it is not very easy to get mechanics who knows what they do with US cars and the guys who knows are freakn expansive.
I have to move to the US... not only because of your nice cars

I read that holley‘s need more experinces for the correct setup. This is, why i prefer the edelbrocks. Maybe for a dude with only a little practice in carbs the better choice.

Short info (not relevant but maybe funny)
In german there is a nickname for Edelbrock.
It is called „Edelschrott“ :)
Edel = noble
Schrott = junk

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Omg LMAOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:dancingpoop:

I'm gonna get a lot of miles out of that one-liner. Thanks man!

In german there is a nickname for Edelbrock.
It is called „Edelschrott“ :)
Edel = noble
Schrott = junk

That's really funny but based on what your saying , it is likely a better choice for you. :imo: it will effectively put a ceiling on your truck's potential but that may not be a bad thing FOR YOUR application..Edelbrock carbs are more street friendly and tolerant of dirt. And they make less power.

I've been to the Atlantic Ocean before and it is really,really big.:bs:

Last edited:

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
:dogpile:

My honor to give you a nice start in the day ;)

If i had my truck i would upload some pics... But:bawl:

I heard and read that there are some possibillities to get more power with the edelbrocks?
First i would like to get a nice running engine. After that, maybe i would like to spend some money to get more power. But this is far far away.

Atlantic ocean?? What the heck :D

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good morning guys!
I got some new infos about my truck. Carb looks ok. Coldstart mechanic is working but reaction is slow-> don‘t care :)
Semi throttle is fine but at full throttle the engine is swallowing! First i would like to change the fuel pump and also the sparkling plugs!
Do i need a fuel pump with two or three connecters? I expect the version with three because off two tanks. Am i right?
Which sparklings for a standard 350?

One other question:
Which transoil should i use? I have this oil..

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It says Dextron III , i'd use it as compatible trans fluid, sure.
I use AC Delco #R45TS sparkling plugs in 350.

Hope this helps!

*edit

Oh! And the fuel pump? Look at the one you have, silly. ->Note they are not interchangeable. You must run a new like the old. 2 or 3 connects.

Last edited:

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys!
Short update: it seems that the fuel pump has some troubles. I ordered an new one and hope i will work! Ignition and carb looks good.

One other question: i need new belts! I have a pic with some numbers but i can‘t find anything in germany. The original belts are at the mechanics garage and he is not available at the moment. Hope you can help me out?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC