Engine troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
^ true...those numbers indicate a measurement of length, ribs, and pulleys, etc.

Last edited:

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys!
I got it :)
It was a combination of wrong calibrated carb and gaspump! I fixed it and now the engines runs pretty nice.
Now i have an other problem with the trans. (TH350) I know that the old engines and trans can sweat a little bit but my trans drips!!
There is a puddle under the car. I will upload some pics. I hope you can see it. Is there a way to fix it without removing the whole trans?
There is a vent on the top of the transmission. Should i remove the cover?
And how can i identify which oilfilter is installed in the transmission? The square or the "round"?

And one other thing. Can some inform the admin or the endboss off the side that i´m not able to enter the homepage from germany. I get following error "Error 1020 Access Denied" from Cloudflare. There is a problem in the firewall... In the past it was working.

You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Its probably just the gasket on the pan that's leaking, so plan to replace it. Trans fluid is thin and seems to find every space to leak. As far as filters, I believe your '73 TH 350 probably had a square filter with simple screen However, I think you can also use the newer Dacron filter and its a better filter medium than the older square filter.

On the transmission, also look for the small metal vacuum line that runs from the engine, and the short piece of rubber hose that connects it to the transmission modulator. This hose can get soaked with leaking trans fluid and start to fall apart. You want the modulator working properly and connected to engine vacuum because this is what controls the shift points of the TH350.

Since you have been working on the carburetor you want to also check your transmission kickdown linkage at the engine. The kickdown cable is held in the bracket by a square plastic retainer. On the back of the retainer is a small plastic sliding piece that moves up and down. To adjust the cable you pull the sliding piece up (it might take a screwdriver or pliers to get it loose), move the carburetor throttle to full travel (max throttle), and slide the plastic piece back down. This will ensure the transmission kicks down a gear when you accelerate. This article has some good pictures of the kickdown cable adjustment (its the cable to the back, right in the first picture). http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=217076 In the 2nd picture you can just barely see how the retainer behind the metal bracket has two parts. The part immediately behind the bracket is what slides up.

Bruce

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey Bruce,

thanks for your fast answer. The gasket is a new one. If you check the second picture, there is a smaller screw on the left side of the pan. There are the drops... So my fear was/is that there is a leak between the transmission/engine. Do you have a picture of the vacuum line? can i reach it easily?
Kick-down is working pretty good! Also the shifts are good! There is only one weard thing.. I go into "R" and it takes 2-3seconds before i can drive reverse. Before it feels like i´m in "N".

Pascal

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
@uprising

Front of the transmission down the dust cover is usually input shaft seal.

Pull the transmission, then torque converter, replace seal. Pain to get to butt a simple replace.

Last edited:

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
holy... That sounds like pretty bad job. So i have to remove the whole transmission or is there a way to keep it inside?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Easier to remove the tranny.

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
oh man... ok! Got it! Does someone have a kind of "How to" for the removale? Which sizes does the screws have? I don´t have a lot of imperial tools. So i have to buy some for the remove. Which gaskets to i need? Is there is list or a kit with all needed parts?

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys,

has nobody any informations about the sizes of the screws? Any tipps and/or infos for the remove? Can you use the transmittion gasket kit or do i need another or something additional? Is there something special because of the 4x4?

And i have a weird handling:
If i switch into „D“ it takes 2-3s before the gear is „in“ and i can drive. Same to „R“! What is it????

And who is the responsible for the forum? The access denied error drives me crazy...
From netherland it is also working!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL