Engine troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys,
i have some troubles with my engine. After a while ( engine temp is at 195) i‘m not able to get full throttle. It sounds like the engine is killed because of no gas. Also if i roll to a trafficlight and don‘t hold a little gas the engine is getting off. And then it is hard tonget the engine started again. The maximum speed is 30mph and if itry to increase the throttle the engine will try to getnoff again.
Ignitiom looks good! Maybe the switch off the gastanks? Or is the carb damaged? It is an original carb installed with one of these round chrome airfilters.

Btw. Which carb should in install to save some gas? Any experiences?

Best regs

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
A properly tuned carb should get you good MPG.
What carb does your truck have?
When was it last rebuilt?
Also, the vacuum advance for the distributor may be sticking. Replace it or try spraying it with PB Blaster or WD-40.
Don't forget to check for cracked or broken vacuum lines. Cheaper and less headache to just replace all of them.

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think it is an quadrajet. Is the original isn‘t it?!
I bought the car in Februar andndon‘t know when it was rebuild... Maybe i should do it right now :)
Also the coldstart isn‘t working correctly. The engine speed is not increased.

What do you think about Edelbrock 1406?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
That quadrajet is going to be your fuel efficient option. By design it will be more efficient when you can keep your foot out of it, yet will flow more fuel than similarly sized carbs when you can't keep your foot out of it.

Also, I believe you mean the engine is 'shutting off' and not 'getting off'.

Hi guys,
i have some troubles with my engine. After a while ( engine temp is at 195) i‘m not able to get full throttle. It sounds like the engine is killed because of no gas. Also if i roll to a trafficlight and don‘t hold a little gas the engine is getting off. And then it is hard tonget the engine started again. The maximum speed is 30mph and if itry to increase the throttle the engine will try to getnoff again.
Ignitiom looks good! Maybe the switch off the gastanks? Or is the carb damaged? It is an original carb installed with one of these round chrome airfilters.

Btw. Which carb should in install to save some gas? Any experiences?

Best regs

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think it is an quadrajet. Is the original isn‘t it?!
I bought the car in Februar andndon‘t know when it was rebuild... Maybe i should do it right now :)
Also the coldstart isn‘t working correctly. The engine speed is not increased.

What do you think about Edelbrock 1406?

I would stick with the quadrajet. They are great carburetors when set up right.

Get a rebuild kit and a choke thermostat.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Also, order a carburetor tool for adjusting the idle jets. When you have the carburetor off the vehicle, remove the idle jet screw plugs, if they are installed.

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, i mean „shutting off“ :) Sorry, my english is pretty bad

Can you send me an example for the tool? Really have no idea, what you mean. In the meantime i try to find a rebuild kit for the quadrajet. Is there a possibillity to get an electric choke for the carb?

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes, i mean „shutting off“ :) Sorry, my english is pretty bad

Can you send me an example for the tool? Really have no idea, what you mean. In the meantime i try to find a rebuild kit for the quadrajet. Is there a possibillity to get an electric choke for the carb?

Tool looks like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-55250-...t=&hvlocphy=9021583&hvtargid=pla-491266386131

I assume that you have a divorced choke. I've never done a conversion, but you could try this: https://quadrajetparts.com/electronic-choke-conversion-chevy-1971-p-399.html

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
It took me a while since mine was old and terribly adjusted to begin with, but once I got mine sorted out I LOVED my 1406

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok...
If i‘m not able to get the quadrajet running again i will search for a new carb. Any proposals? I choose Edelbrock because of easier adjusting?!

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Little bit to late but hope it was a nice 4th July

To be honest: not yet!
I thought the problem is the carb or ignition. With a cold engine it looks ok (only coldstart is terrible but i saw that enginespeed increase during coldstart isn‘t working anymore. Don‘t know the correct word in english ;) )
Or maybe a problem with the tank switch?!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Rebuilding the Quadrajet is one of the best solutions, but it takes time and skill, so its not a fast solution for most guys. The Quadrajet was used in many GM engines, and it could be configured and tuned for each combination. Someone could have tried to tune or fix your carburetor and they got it way off the right settings. If you can afford the time and money, I would get a rebuild estimate for your old carburetor from Cliffs Performance (http://cliffshighperformance.com/). He has a lot of experience with Quadrajets, and they will fully test it and set it up for your engine combination.

The Edelbrock 1406 is a good simple choice to get your truck up and running, but its a square bore carburetor and you probably have a stock GM spread bore manifold where the primary bores are smaller than the secondary. This means you need an adapter, which just adds to things that can go wrong.

Now back to some simple checks.
- Leave the tank switch on the primary tank, which should be your passenger side tank in '73.
- Find a cheap fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure and fuel flow out of the pump. There are many internet articles that explain how to do it.
- Remove the Quadrajet fuel filter and replace it with a new one. If someone has added an additional filter in the fuel line, also replace that filter.
- Check all the vacuum lines to make sure they are connected properly and not leaking. Use a vacuum gauge to verify that you are getting about 19-20" of vacuum at idle (if this engine is stock).
- Use a mirror to look down into the carburetor and verify that at full throttle the venturi plates are at 90 degrees. Also make sure they snap fully back at idle.

There are many additional checks, but most require you to remove the carburetor and take off the top. Its not a hard job, but you should get a rebuild kit first so that you at least have the gaskets to put it back together. The first check would be the float level and removal of any debris in the float bowl and needle. Cleaning is the best solution for many problems, so get a can of compressed air and blow through all the small passages to clean out any gunk.

Bruce

uprising

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi and sry for the late response...

The shipment to Cliff and the repair is more expensive than a new Edelbrock ;)
Do i need only an adapter for the carb or should i buy a new intake manifold for the carborator? Which problems can come up if i change the whole thing?

I will check your points within the next weeks. The truck is not in my garage (Problems with the steering gear).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20