Double Dingo's 1965 3/4 Ton "Crusty Biscuit"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yes I am and you are to, if I had an old rig like that again I'd definitely put seat belts in!

Besides angels riding with me keeping the hub assembly for my jeep from from taking me out, along with various other items that could've pierced me inside the cab, seatbelts kept me planted in my seat. I'm a strong believer in angels and seatbelts

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Got the turn signals and brake lights working again. Had to replace the left front bulb socket with one from a different hood, and also the left rear pigtail with an old dirty OEM one. The boots on the new pigtails split, and the old ones are still plyable. Eventually I will replace the right rear pigtail too. But for now, everything is working again. I didn't get progress pictures of the wiring being cleaned up under the dash, but got things retucked that was added after rewiring the truck. Also added a 10 gauge master ground wire.

I need to check my antenna grounding and connections to hopefully get the radio to pick up some stations.

Back together, ready to test the circuits.

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Finally got it...

Got some porting and gasket matching, and then bigger valves.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
By chance did you see that turbo build they did on Truck Tech. Pretty impressive numbers.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
By chance did you see that turbo build they did on Truck Tech. Pretty impressive numbers.

I did. That 292 sounded mean, very impressive numbers too. The thought of a turbo crossed my mind, but I think the upgrades I have in store should be sufficient for this engine to breathe better. The more I hear these engines on videos the more excited I get to do the swap. Now that I have this head I can do the swap and not have the truck down for an extended amount of time. That has been part of my hang-up on doing it. One thing that is helping push me to the swap, is within the last couple weeks the 350 is starting to use oil, something it never did before. I suspect it is the valve seals, as it'll smoke upon startup after being turned off and started up a short while later. Long sits it doesn't seem to puff smoke out as badly. Having a smoky truck is not something I care for, so it is time for the 292 to go in.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ever since I bought this truck, heck I noticed it while test driving it but still bought it. But it has made this loud popping sound. It can happen in succession, or not at all, no rhyme or reason as to when or what causes it. As soon as I got it I replaced the motor mounts, bell housing mounts, rebuilt the transmission, replaced the driveshafts, then later on replaced the front suspension and installed front disc brakes. And replaced the cab mounts and core support mounts. I cannot pinpoint what it is or what is causing it.

The other day I thought GoPro! Looked them up, holy cow they are expensive! But, I checked Ebay, $40 for a refurbished one with a warranty. The seller made it clear they want the buyer to be satisfied, so if anything is wrong with it or goes wrong with it, they will make it right. Cool!

My plan is to strap that sucker to the frame and drive around and hope to see the culprit when it happens. First spot will be behind the rear axle, so if the trailing arms are doing it I'll be able to see it. If not there, then I'll mount it further towards the front each time until I do catch the culprit on film. Right now USPS is showing it hasn't made it into their system. I could have driven down and picked it up quicker than they can deliver it to me...lol... But I wait...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I bet its in the spring pocket.

I do think it's suspension related, as well. No spring pockets, it's got rear coils, but, could be the big bolts that attach the trailing arms to the crossmember. I bought new trailing arms years ago from LMC for Mean Green. Of course they only have stuff for c10 trucks mainly. I had scheduled an appointment to have them put on, had new u-bolts made, and LMC trailing arms won't work. The c10's had narrower u-bolt hole spacing, so my beefy HO52 corporate axle is bigger than the Dana.

I have a feeling I won't like what I see when the popping occurs.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, no video(s) yet. I am new to these contraptions, and didn't realize they have a boat-load of ways to mount them. Needless to say the one I bought, being a Hero 1, didn't come with anything but a charging cord. No mounts whatsoever. So I bought a couple mounts, a handle bar mount, I can actually use this one as-is, just nowhere on the truck frame. The second mount is a gopro brand clamp with optional extension, but it uses the j-hook mount. And of course the factory mounts are not easy to find. I was successful today in finding some original mounts on ebay, so I ordered those and some extra pieces that may get lost easily. The seller has a bunch of items I could possibly use if need be. Should have this stuff by Monday the 27th, maybe sooner if USPS actually moves them through and doesn't sit on the damn things. This is another case of items ordered being shipped from a couple hours away, so we'll see how quickly they get here.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is what I was up to the last few days.

Partly polished...

Polished....

Still have to polish the back and top of the cab, but the rest is polished and waxed. Will get more photos this weekend. It shined up good for a turd...lol...

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I am taking JaCOB's @Old77 nudge to start a new thread about my newly acquired truck. This is the first pic I took after getting it. I will post more after I start investigating the ins and out of this truck.

That is Purty!! Good thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL