Double Dingo's 1965 3/4 Ton "Crusty Biscuit"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Have checked the casting and stamped numbers and it is a 1966 engine. The last two nights I took some purple power to it. I still need to remove brackets, coil, distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds so I can clean more of it, but it's cleaned up nicely thus far. The head has lots of curves to it where the sparks plugs go, so the head will be more time consuming. I am going to pour some MMO or ATF in the cylinders and maybe on top of the valves a day before doing the compression check.

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but I did find an HEI distributor for it off craigslist, will be making that payment on Friday. Tomorrow or Friday I'll be getting a compression gauge.

Here's the latest pics of the engine...

You must be registered for see images attach

From what I've read, Alpine Green/Detroit Diesel Green is the color of the engine, so I need to get some cans of that so I can get things painted up after it's all been cleaned real good.

My one bit of advice: take that Fram filter and throw it in the trash. Those things are a problem waiting to happen. I'm enjoying this thread. Very cool to see a 292!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
True story:
I started changing oil at Jiffy Lube in HIGH SCHOOL. We would run 70+ cars A DAY. Continued work as a full service auto tech for the next thirteen years straight. I've changed the oil in THOUSANDS of cars and trucks. (ten of thousands?) I spent an entire year in a Valvoline... I've changed lots of filters and like changing oil okay?

In all of that time I have seen ONLY three vehicle engines die because of a bad oil filter. A Nissan 3.0, a Dodge 2.2, and a Chevrolet 5.7

ALL had orange Fram filters to blame.

Make of that what you will...I don't use nor recommend them for that reason. Don't run the Ph-8. Buy a 1218. ;)

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My one bit of advice: take that Fram filter and throw it in the trash. Those things are a problem waiting to happen. I'm enjoying this thread. Very cool to see a 292!

True story:
I started changing oil at Jiffy Lube in HIGH SCHOOL. We would run 70+ cars A DAY. Continued work as a full service auto tech for the next thirteen years straight. I've changed the oil in THOUSANDS of cars and trucks. (ten of thousands?) I spent an entire year in a Valvoline... I've changed lots of filters and like changing oil okay?

In all of that time I have seen ONLY three vehicle engines die because of a bad oil filter. A Nissan 3.0, a Dodge 2.2, and a Chevrolet 5.7

ALL had orange Fram filters to blame.

Make of that what you will...I don't use nor recommend them for that reason. Don't run the Ph-8. Buy a 1218. ;)

I don't use Fram, I use Purolator, that filter was on there when I bought the 292. Thanks for the tips and directing me away from Fram, though. I've heard Fram is not good, just no personal experience with them.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Roughly 27 hours of polishing the paint, plus waxing, and this is the final product. Had entered a car show that was scheduled to happen on Saturday the 22nd, but they called on Friday to postpone it due to poor air quality. With all the fires there is lots of smoke in the air, and even worse in the mountain town where the car show is located. So I took advantage of doing as much polishing and waxing as I could now to make it easier for the car show in October. That Nu Finish is a nice product, easy to apply.

Still need to finish inside the cab, but no rush right now. All that said, here's the pics.....

That rear bumper needs to be removed, and painted, it looks out of place now. And the inside of the bed needs some attention too.

I didn't get any squirrels in the shots, but you can see the puppy girls in a couple of them.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here are some other pics...

Amazing how badly the paint is oxidized, or was...lol...

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ever since I bought this truck, heck I noticed it while test driving it but still bought it. But it has made this loud popping sound. It can happen in succession, or not at all, no rhyme or reason as to when or what causes it. As soon as I got it I replaced the motor mounts, bell housing mounts, rebuilt the transmission, replaced the driveshafts, then later on replaced the front suspension and installed front disc brakes. And replaced the cab mounts and core support mounts. I cannot pinpoint what it is or what is causing it.

The other day I thought GoPro! Looked them up, holy cow they are expensive! But, I checked Ebay, $40 for a refurbished one with a warranty. The seller made it clear they want the buyer to be satisfied, so if anything is wrong with it or goes wrong with it, they will make it right. Cool!

My plan is to strap that sucker to the frame and drive around and hope to see the culprit when it happens. First spot will be behind the rear axle, so if the trailing arms are doing it I'll be able to see it. If not there, then I'll mount it further towards the front each time until I do catch the culprit on film. Right now USPS is showing it hasn't made it into their system. I could have driven down and picked it up quicker than they can deliver it to me...lol... But I wait...

Does it make the sound when the pickup is going over a bump or turning a corner and you get some articulation or body lean/flex? The coil springs in my '68 C10 will make some noise sometimes in those situations.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Roughly 27 hours of polishing the paint, plus waxing, and this is the final product. Had entered a car show that was scheduled to happen on Saturday the 22nd, but they called on Friday to postpone it due to poor air quality. With all the fires there is lots of smoke in the air, and even worse in the mountain town where the car show is located. So I took advantage of doing as much polishing and waxing as I could now to make it easier for the car show in October. That Nu Finish is a nice product, easy to apply.

Still need to finish inside the cab, but no rush right now. All that said, here's the pics.....

That rear bumper needs to be removed, and painted, it looks out of place now. And the inside of the bed needs some attention too.

I didn't get any squirrels in the shots, but you can see the puppy girls in a couple of them.
Wow, that turned out NICE!! What a proud Chevy.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does it make the sound when the pickup is going over a bump or turning a corner and you get some articulation or body lean/flex? The coil springs in my '68 C10 will make some noise sometimes in those situations.

Usually from a stop, sometimes while turning, always under 15 mph. I just got a good mount for the gopro, this week I plan to get some video of it happening. It is loud when it happens, and it cannot be readily replicated. Frustrating

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size

I have had this sound before, if it's the sound you're referring to, kind of a grinding sound? The only way I could remedy it was to separate the lower control arm and clock the spring until it better matched the shape in the top of the spring perch. I even got that sound when I replaced the front end for the disc brake conversion. I used the indent in the lower control arm to situate the spring, but that didn't match the shape in the top of the spring to the upper spring perch and it made that grinding sound. I took it apart, rotated the spring to match to top and disregarded the bottom, and no more noise.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, cleaned up nice!
That’s my other favorite style...along with squares, 67-72s, 47-54s and ....actually I want 1 of each!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, cleaned up nice!
That’s my other favorite style...along with squares, 67-72s, 47-54s and ....actually I want 1 of each!
Me too, and 55-57s.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wow, cleaned up nice!

Me too, and 55-57s.

Me too. One of my all time favorite looks on a truck is the 67-72 short bed fleetside, lowered with wide wheels and tires. The rounded wheel wells and the wide tires just appeal to my eye. I have never owned one, but I do admire them when I see one. And I have always liked the '56 Chevy trucks, something about the front end that I like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128