Deleting emissions,read this article.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elcamman50

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
And the EPA does actually do random on road sniffer tests. Had a club member 20 odd years ago get pulled over in nowhere San Diego county in his 72 blazer. Was handed a fist full of violations and spent the next 30 days collecting parts to put all the smog stuff back on so they wouldn't impound his truck.

Now if they'd only start charging the cat theives under the federal tampering rules.
Now, in California, if the vehicle is older than 1976, it is smog check exempt. I keep all mine tuned up and compliant and have never failed a test. I do wish they would institute a rolling cutoff time period. Say, 25 or 30 years. My 79, Big 10, Short bed, 350 still has to be smog checked every two years. Has never failed. It is what it is. It's the law, so I obey it.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Now, in California, if the vehicle is older than 1976, it is smog check exempt. I keep all mine tuned up and compliant and have never failed a test. I do wish they would institute a rolling cutoff time period. Say, 25 or 30 years. My 79, Big 10, Short bed, 350 still has to be smog checked every two years. Has never failed. It is what it is. It's the law, so I obey it.
Biannual test exempt. Not smog exempt. That's the difference. There are still limits in place and they can pull you off the road to verify smog equipment is still in place on any vehicle since it is federal. Even though I had a CARB official openly admit that old cars add an insignificant amount to the smog problem in the greater LA basin and its all political, they still try to screw us when they can.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Rules for compliance also differ for each state. My ‘75 GMC is 8400 lbs GVW, so it’s original HD emissions equipment was minimal , and it never had cats. It now has antique plates, but I considered getting full inspections and regular plates like I used to have. The guy at the inspecting (gas) station, who deals with almost all late model vehicles, took one look and said “I have to make a visual inspection and it doesn’t look like all the original emissions equipment is there”.

The irony is that I believe the only emissions item missing is the hot air tube from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, since the choke stove on the exhaust manifold has come off. He said nothing about the Edelbrock intake, aluminum heads and 1980 Quadrajet (on a ‘75) because he doesn’t know enough about an SBC. But he can fail my vehicle inspection because he doesn’t “think” I have all the emissions equipment.

And I wonder how he planned to inspect the rear brakes on a 14 bolt FF, since he is supposed to inspect one side for each axle.

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
So, when you go to parts suppliers, do they have the parts to keep our emission equipment working like new. If not, what do you do? Air pumps, catalytic converters, Induction valves are not available anymore. Because no one buys them, or?
You don't go to the "part suppliers" in many cases. For exhaust needs, there are muffler shops, usually the independent shops are best and they will install universal cats if the OEM is not available. Sensors etc. are usually available on line such as rockauto.com or the real auto parts stores that are run by experienced counter people, usually the old school stores or mom and pop type. Evap canisters and systems tend to be more difficult however, they are still available through the different sources out there. There will never be the day where you will enter an O'Reilly or Auto Zone and get what you want or if you do, you have to take a chance on the part they sell you due to aftermarket brands. Not all are worth having, especially sensors or anything having to do with EFI. Carbureted engines are easy to use almost any part manuf as they are not "digital" and can tolerate change. As an alternative, there are salvage yards. Most of the issues are those who will do the work...you need to know what you are doing or have an experienced old school mechanic available. Then, for those who are interested in altering a pre EFI vehicle, there are the Holley Sniper EFI kits that will make an older rig run way better.

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Biannual test exempt. Not smog exempt. That's the difference. There are still limits in place and they can pull you off the road to verify smog equipment is still in place on any vehicle since it is federal. Even though I had a CARB official openly admit that old cars add an insignificant amount to the smog problem in the greater LA basin and its all political, they still try to screw us when they can.
Yes and what is really lame is not all counties in CA require the every 2 year smog inspection/test. They really need to do away with them, few states really do them because they think logic, the cost and amount of vehicles that pass is huge. Only a few will not and as said above, don't add much to overall emission that matter.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
It’s funny that threads like this are the ones the enforcement agencies monitor. you are 100% correct the dummies putting it all over social media whether it’s YouTube or right here they are the problem. Dont believe it? Ask a detective where they find out the most about the criminals they are hunting….

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
We have an 87, Cali we were gonna remove the smog and keep egr, cats etc. I can order the borg tubing (<$200) to replace the pieces that go into replacement exhaust manifolds. But would have to remove and reuse injection pieces that are inside manifolds. I don't think it wouldn't pass if we don't install. Plus live in Texas and are state exempt.
I do plan in holding onto smog removed.
I believe ban is on new car sales...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
We have an 87, Cali we were gonna remove the smog and keep egr, cats etc. I can order the borg tubing (<$200) to replace the pieces that go into replacement exhaust manifolds. But would have to remove and reuse injection pieces that are inside manifolds. I don't think it wouldn't pass if we don't install. Plus live in Texas and are state exempt.
I do plan in holding onto smog removed.
I believe ban is on new car sales...
Emissions laws apply to all vehicles that came with emissions,do some research.Check it,it's federal law not state law, if it was there it has to be there.Its like State and Federal taxes. Just because your state is exempt,only means it exempts some vehicles from periodic testing is all. It's still illegal,just keep that in mind. They don't inspect your guns either but you'd be a fool to go on the internet and say,they don't inspect my guns in Texas so I made them all full auto.

Last edited:

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
It's human nature for people to tell on themselves.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They are trying to eliminate ICEs not just diesels the general public perceives old vehicles as a pollution problem. Soccer moms and for that matter most grown men don't know the difference between a 5.3 and a duramax.
Unfortunately, Washington is one of those get rid of ICE states and I live in it. They will ultimately have to delay it. Even though we have hydro it has a finite limit. At the same time tree huggers want to rip out dams and have been successful doing so to some extent. Due to whatever you want to blame it on rainfall totals have been lower than normal.

Wait until battery cars get some years on them. At 10 years batteries will start needing replacement. Especially if fast charging is used frequently. Car will become basically worthless. Battery replacement will exceed what car is worth. Last week there was an article on the Ford truck battery replacement cost. It was about 35K.

Sure, depending on the vehicle could say the same about engine replacement exceeding vehicle value however you're not paying a premium from the beginning.

Another issue is all the new population. Every one of them contributes to pollution in some manner. If gov was really concerned about it, that would halt.

Here's the rub, if gov wants to expand battery vehicles, no natural gas or coal, many new nuclear power plants will have to be built. If one was proposed today would take 20 years before permit was granted. Until that happens it's just smoke and mirrors.

We are being played. Hope the general public wakes up before it is too late.

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Unfortunately, Washington is one of those get rid of ICE states and I live in it. They will ultimately have to delay it.

Another issue is all the new population. Every one of them contributes to pollution in some manner. If gov was really concerned about it, that would halt.

We are being played. Hope the general public wakes up before it is too late.
This^

I'm in the Wenatchee Valley and we're planning to leave Washington when the lease is up spring of '25, probably back to Tennessee. Mostly because of how mismanaged this state is and how we as a state all have to bow to King County's voting base.

The war on cars, high taxes, erosion of second amendment rights, et al are all making the decision easy. It's being further exacerbated by the influx of Califukians leaving their doomed state... It's the misguided being lead by the corrupt for the good of the few.

I doubt the general population will wake up at all, but if they do it will be post-facto and by then good luck getting back to any thing that makes sense.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
its communist california an u can add washington state an oregon to that list as well as new york and other like states.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod