Damn mice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I've been called a TOOL , not visual tho

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I've seen them eat the Irish spring, make a nest with the dryer sheets and poop on the sonic noise thing (probably as a protest).

I've had the best success with the good old fashioned snap traps (placed strategically so they have to get through a small area to get at them, or placed in pairs so that they get hit with one while they are distracted by the other). Lately I have even been getting them without bait by placing the snap trap in high traffic areas. And the bucket, since it can get multiple victims without resetting.

K

Represent! I hate f-in' mice, they give me the creeps. The following isn't specifically about mice in trucks, just about mice in general:

Never even saw a mouse till we moved up to the Wht Mts. Like K, I tried everything to keep them away but they just didn't care. So I figured I would just kill them all. I know you can't really get them all, but it feels good to kill a lot of them. Here's the best trap I have ever used. You wind it up, bait it with some peanut butter and it does the rest:

You must be registered for see images attach

It is made by Eaton and sells for about $20. While marketed as a humane/catch & release device, it really isn't. It will trap up to 15 and flip them into the holding cell. I don't know if you've ever seen what happens when two or more mice get trapped in a confined space, but it is brutal. Within a few minutes they resort to cannibalism. So if you don't empty them out immediately, one will start to devour the other. If you come and check it two days later, the holding cell will contain just one live mouse and the bones/guts of all the others.

Don't clean it out too good. An exterminator friend of mine says to leave it as "mousy smelling" as you can.

Epilogue:

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. Between my wife's blood curdling shrieks and the scratching sounds in the walls at night, it was too much. So this summer I paid a guy $850 to get rid of the flying squirrels (oh yeah, we had them too) and mouse-proof the house. Money well spent. Haven't seen a single critter since - fingers crossed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
An old post:

I had the same problem - the truck was a lumber yard truck that never left the lot. For 21 years the mice made it their home.

I bought it (thought it was stale cigarette smoke), and by the time I figured out what the smell was - it was too late. The interior smelled so fr**kin gross - it'd make you almost gag.

No amount of vacuuming, wiping down, deodorizer, etc. would get rid of it.

Long story short:

I completely stripped out the interior. Headliner & trim, pillar moldings, seat, the complete floor coverings, dash board. Next, I vacuumed every thing up -the void spaces above the cab corners were packed (solid packed a foot deep) with ... I don't even know .. dead mice, mice crap - I didn't inspect what came out that closely.

Pulled the plugs on the floor (under the seat had it been there), disconnected the battery and hooked a garden hose up to my water heater. I hydro-blasted that truck interior till you could eat off of the floor. Reassembled everything and thought I was good to go - NOPE!

They had also packed the entire outside air ventilation system. The passages leading from under the windshield cowling all the way down to the vents were packed with more mice stuff. Getting that out took for-fr**kin" -ever.

Good luck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you guys are like me, you'll spend 87 hours watching every video on this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter

Shawn is the real MVP. I’ve been watching him since pretty early on. This is also a pretty satisfying video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As someone who thinks cats are useless and gross, you know what animal is surprisingly good at mousing, at least to me? Chickens, particularly hens. They can somehow swallow a mouse whole, and they’re extremely fast and nimble. Their only hangup is that if you have a lot of mice and they’re not paying attention to them, they’ll chase the hen that caught the first one, but I’ve found that their peripherals work well enough to counteract this impulse.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Represent! I hate f-in' mice, they give me the creeps. The following isn't specifically about mice in trucks, just about mice in general:

Never even saw a mouse till we moved up to the Wht Mts. Like K, I tried everything to keep them away but they just didn't care. So I figured I would just kill them all. I know you can't really get them all, but it feels good to kill a lot of them. Here's the best trap I have ever used. You wind it up, bait it with some peanut butter and it does the rest:

It is made by Eaton and sells for about $20. While marketed as a humane/catch & release device, it really isn't. It will trap up to 15 and flip them into the holding cell. I don't know if you've ever seen what happens when two or more mice get trapped in a confined space, but it is brutal. Within a few minutes they resort to cannibalism. So if you don't empty them out immediately, one will start to devour the other. If you come and check it two days later, the holding cell will contain just one live mouse and the bones/guts of all the others.

Don't clean it out too good. An exterminator friend of mine says to leave it as "mousy smelling" as you can.

Epilogue:

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. Between my wife's blood curdling shrieks and the scratching sounds in the walls at night, it was too much. So this summer I paid a guy $850 to get rid of the flying squirrels (oh yeah, we had them too) and mouse-proof the house. Money well spent. Haven't seen a single critter since - fingers crossed.

Dude .

@chengny .

I think this post belongs in the internet Hall of Fame !

:king:

That is one of the greatest things I have ever read...:winner_first_h4h::winner_second_h4h::winner_third_h4h:

:rocking:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yet, some people keep rats and mice as pets. Go figure.

Not too many things in nature bother me. I guess poisonous snakes and large predators make me want to reach for a gun. And some of the critters that live at the bottom of the ocean look like the stuff of nightmares.

OTOH, when they start getting into my stuff then it's a different story. Then, if they can't take a hint I'm fine with laying waste to a population.

Triv

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 Silverado
Engine Size
When I bought my K10 the HVAC system didn't work. Blower worked but no air. I pulled out an amazing amount nest fixings and mouse crap. Huge pain in the ass. Consider yourself lucky it was in your glove box.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
i absolutely detest mice and any rodents :mad: I would be pissed if any got into my trucks and even more so if they got in my house. I have Orkin come out every few months to do their routine checks and stuff to make sure my property is free of them. If I lived in a more rural area I'm sure the fight would be much harder. Would drive me bananas.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

We've used this for years. IDK, there may be better stuff out now, but this still works for us. The only drawback? They're gonna stink up where ever they decide to croak (like inside your wall....), until they decompose. Lol

An old post:

I had the same problem - the truck was a lumber yard truck that never left the lot. For 21 years the mice made it their home.

I bought it (thought it was stale cigarette smoke), and by the time I figured out what the smell was - it was too late. The interior smelled so fr**kin gross - it'd make you almost gag.

No amount of vacuuming, wiping down, deodorizer, etc. would get rid of it.

Long story short:

I completely stripped out the interior. Headliner & trim, pillar moldings, seat, the complete floor coverings, dash board. Next, I vacuumed every thing up -the void spaces above the cab corners were packed (solid packed a foot deep) with ... I don't even know .. dead mice, mice crap - I didn't inspect what came out that closely.

Pulled the plugs on the floor (under the seat had it been there), disconnected the battery and hooked a garden hose up to my water heater. I hydro-blasted that truck interior till you could eat off of the floor. Reassembled everything and thought I was good to go - NOPE!

They had also packed the entire outside air ventilation system. The passages leading from under the windshield cowling all the way down to the vents were packed with more mice stuff. Getting that out took for-fr**kin" -ever.

Good luck.

This was a pretty damn funny post! Next time, just light a small fire inside the cab (like in a small bbq grill). Years ago, my daily driver had an electricial fire under the dash. I fixed it so I could get to work the next day, but for the next 6 months, I'd walk in smelling like I just got back from camping. BAD! I probably went through a couple cases of Ozium. It helped. For like 10 minutes a shot..... Lol.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Being an electrician, here is my vote...

Or the early "not safe for idiots" model...

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small