Carb air cleaners, thermacs, and spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You should double check that with the vacuum diagram, because there is or should be a TVS for the EGR valve. Many trucks had two, this one should apply vacuum when it's cold and then turn off the vacuum when it warms up, which is the opposite way the switch works for the EGR valve. My truck has one in the manifold and another one in thermostat housing.
Well I don't have one of those on truck but I have a 1980 shop manual and a 1979 carb cleaner to double check lmao and the cleaner is from 78 but the function should be same.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the best example i could find trying to locate examples of the fresh air duct. This design was only made in one size, yes?
I have a 78 air cleaner going in a 1980 with the passenger duct. I dont think the wide snout or opening in core support is different or has changes, so i should be safe finding any new assemblies.

Anyone see any less than 50 bucks that are new or not crappy? Im only finding broken used ones or 80 dollar or so new ones..
And i will be looking for that riser tube for the manifolds as well but i think i can source the heat stove on my property and maybe the tube but maybe not. so tube name or part number?

I need that type of intake tube! Got one for sale?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I need that type of intake tube! Got one for sale?
no sadly im looking for one too. lmc has for 25 dollars but shipping who knows. i might make a trip of it, i havent bought anything yet from LMC and want to make a purchase worth the shop.
But there are 2 different diameters. assuming big one is diesel/big block/cucv, but maybe its a year thing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Overkill. I like it. Not going that route but i like it nonetheless

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
no sadly im looking for one too. lmc has for 25 dollars but shipping who knows. i might make a trip of it, i havent bought anything yet from LMC and want to make a purchase worth the shop.
But there are 2 different diameters. assuming big one is diesel/big block/cucv, but maybe its a year thing

The intake snorkel tubes from LMC are for small blocks. I think they charge about $8 minimum shipping. The difference between the tubes is the 81 & up are a little longer. The big block 81-86 version is still available from GM (#14024596).

With regards to your set up, I found these diagrams for an 1980 Camaro and 1980 1/2 ton. Both are 350 SBC engines, the second has California emissions. I would assume the first set up is more like yours. The EFE-TVS is mounted on the thermostat housing. It works after the engine is up to temp and the thermostat opens. The EGR-TVS mounts on the intake and starts operating as the engine is at temp and before the thermostat opens.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl Please go with the diagram Craig 85 posted, I forgot these trucks have the temp sensor on the air cleaner housing, what I told you previously about it being run off a TVS is incorrect, sorry about that.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
Stock GM air cleaner does not fit many Edelbrock carburetors because of the fuel fitting sticking up/out on the side. This is a common problem even with many of the Edelbrock air cleaners. That fact is hidden down in the documentation for the carburetor.

You need to use a short spacer between the carburetor and the air cleaner. Edelbrock sells plastic spacers, or you can try using a stock GM TBI metal spacer. The other option is to use a banjo fuel fitting, but I’ve never actually tried one. The Edelbrock banjo fitting is fairly expensive for something that small, but there are other brands that are supposed to fit.

Bruce
iv got an 86 gmc and the stock air filter fits it nice with 1406 600 eddy carb

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i should clarify, i have a 1406 and a aluminum performer intake, because i didnt have a 4 barrel intake and didnt realize i should have used an old cast iron spreadbore off a spare engine. i thought they were all 2 barrel but i was mislead because the spread bore design through the unknowing me off haha

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
No air cleaner would fit my 1406 either.Distributor interference.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I use all thread to make my own carb stud.Hell,will be able to make a few more with what was left

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay