Cam setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Yep, let's not forget there is a difference in High Volume and High Pressure pumps. Hi Pressure pumps I don't care to use. I will use a High Volume with an oil restrictor to the top end. It's not a bad idea for 6500-8000 rpm small blocks, but if you're not turning that rpm, then no need for it. The oil restrictor to the top end will allow enough oil to the top end but yet won't empty your pan of oil.
Many people will get a deeper pan thinking more oil they won't run out. Well, that's great for helping keep your oil cool and letting any debris fall further from the pick up , but if you don't use an extended pick up tube, the deep pan does not help with that issue.

I do like extra quart pans with windage trays, and a magnetic drain plug in the bottom of the pan to collect any metal particles and not recirculate them into my oil pump and back thru the bearings. But I won't go with a deeper pan if it makes me lose to much ground clearance. It really sucks ripping an oil pan off the bottom of your motor and losing your oil, or knocking the pick up off your pump and you not know it unless your OP gauge alerts you.

I don't run the deeper pan. I run a wider pan. Why would anyone want to use any pan with the improper pickup in it. That would just be stupid. No offense meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
You can run it and get away with it MOST of the time. If you have a long pull at high rpm you can run it dry and pop one. I've seen it more than once. Daily driver it's okay. I don't like oil restriction for a street engine.

I have oil galley limiters on my top end, and a windage tray and crank scrapper on the lower end, I keep as much oil in the pan as possible, and this engine has been in 3 vehicles now with this configuration, 1 was a 73 Monte, a 72 lemans, and my truck.

And you cant always run a wider pan, theres times where headers wont clear for it.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Cool. Glad it works for your purpose. Generally it's not recommended

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also would not run an HV pump with a stock pan, I've personally seen what can happen.

Getting back to the original question, if big tires and street efficiency are the goal, keep the cam MILD MILD MILD. You NEED to have low end grunt and a top of the page cam will be what you need. A good investment would be a 383 crank kit. It's easier to make mild power with more cubes.

And as for the gearing, a 700r4 will not like 38's no matter what you do. I'd be looking at something more along the lines of 4:88 or 5:13, because anything taller (numerically lower) than that, you won't be moving the shifter into od very often (if at all). And be sure to run a good sized cooler and a trans temp gauge.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Thanks guys for all the input. Its a 700r4 for now its getting switched to a sm465 when I can get the cash.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks guys for all the input. Its a 700r4 for now its getting switched to a sm465 when I can get the cash.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

While looking for an SM465 set up, be sure to get the right one and you might have less headache with driveshafts. Have someone here help us out with dates, but there is a difference in the spline counts and Tcase outputs. If you get the right one or the later one, you very well might be able to use the same driveshafts if your're currently running a 700r4/Np208.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lift of 6 inches or more will require longer shafts anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones