Cam setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
My 87 V10 will be my first engine rebuild from pan up. I want to put a better cam in it for better performance. It will be a daily driven truck and off road mud rig. I was thumbing through the summit racing catalog today and I'm don't know what would be the better cam range. I have no idea where the TBI 350 redlines nor do I know much about cams other then they open & close the valves. What do you guys run and what would you suggest? I want to lift it 6 or 8 inches and run 38s if that changes anything.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In all honesty, if the lift and tire size is the reason you think you need to go with a bigger cam, then you're money, time and energy are going to be much better spent doing a differential gear swap. Running 38's and a 700r4 trans, I'd consider 4.56 or 4.10 gear ratio. I noticed you had mentioned in the other thread, you're wanting to eventually get to a SM465 which does not have OD, so I might settle for 4.10's because you might be able to find some used axles for cheap in 4.10's much easier than you'd find 4.56's.

Keep in mind, it doesn't do alot of good to swap cams unless you intend to upgrade your TBI system, exhaust system and things like that to make the motor breathe better to take advantage of the bigger cam. With the right gear ratio, the OEM TBI 350 will push the 38's just fine so long as you're aren't drag racing and expecting to jump off the line.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Its getting exhaust and intake swaps and everything. Its pretty much going to be a project make it fast and go anywhere type truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK.

And I'd still consider doing the gear swap with 38's. You'll find that 190hp with 4.10's or 4.56's pushing 38's will work better than 250hp pushing 38's with 3.08's.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Yea I planned a regear. Is the rpm range they give the power band?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea I planned a regear. Is the rpm range they give the power band?

For the cam specs? yes. Of course that varies, but a good rule of thumb. If you build around that range, you should be OK.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Alright thanks. You and 89sub have probably helped me the most on here and I appreciate it

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
What other engine upgrades are you planning on? It's usually a package deal. Can't just add a cam without other better parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Intake exhaust. Want to make it a 383 stroker so quite a bit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you said yet what the Cam specs were and what the power band range was? Don't forget stall conveter for the transmission if it's an Auto. Of course, you don't need as much stall as suggested if you're not intending on drag racing. That will save you some mpg and heat on the trans.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
No I haven't set a power band I was wondering on what some people ran in their dailys. On a bottom end rebuild beefing a few things up but not all forged what would a 383 redline at? Also standard and high volume oil pump same pressure or high volume has higher pressure? Some don't specify.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
You don't want a high volume pump unless you go to a larger volume oil pan. I use 7 qt. most standard valve spring won't get you comfortably to 6 grand. Your oil pressure is going to be more related to the clearances in your engine.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Run standard pressure high volume.

High pressure is going to tend to blow out your seals more.
you can run a high volume with a stock pan, I can think of 20 cars off the top of my head that way. My truck also is one of them

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, let's not forget there is a difference in High Volume and High Pressure pumps. Hi Pressure pumps I don't care to use. I will use a High Volume with an oil restrictor to the top end. It's not a bad idea for 6500-8000 rpm small blocks, but if you're not turning that rpm, then no need for it. The oil restrictor to the top end will allow enough oil to the top end but yet won't empty your pan of oil.
Many people will get a deeper pan thinking more oil they won't run out. Well, that's great for helping keep your oil cool and letting any debris fall further from the pick up , but if you don't use an extended pick up tube, the deep pan does not help with that issue.

I do like extra quart pans with windage trays, and a magnetic drain plug in the bottom of the pan to collect any metal particles and not recirculate them into my oil pump and back thru the bearings. But I won't go with a deeper pan if it makes me lose to much ground clearance. It really sucks ripping an oil pan off the bottom of your motor and losing your oil, or knocking the pick up off your pump and you not know it unless your OP gauge alerts you.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Run standard pressure high volume.

High pressure is going to tend to blow out your seals more.
you can run a high volume with a stock pan, I can think of 20 cars off the top of my head that way. My truck also is one of them

You can run it and get away with it MOST of the time. If you have a long pull at high rpm you can run it dry and pop one. I've seen it more than once. Daily driver it's okay. I don't like oil restriction for a street engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1