Water or Water alcohol injection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
As I get closer to building the future power plant for the K20, one of the dilemmas is what compression ratio to run, and still be able to afford the fuel. Wa St has the highest fuel cost in the nation, around $5.00 gal. As a frugal farmer, I get my gas from the Indians, cause it is cheaper, but it is 87 octane. So how to get better performance with cheap gas, (relatively.) Enter Water injection. In theory, I could have a high compression engine, 12-14:1, high boost, and still run 87 octane, on an aggressive tune (40 degrees advance, maybe,) AND use less fuel. This is achieved because the mixture is cooled, and secondly steam pressure. Cooler fuel is denser, so I could lean out the mixture, advance the timing, and make more power. This could be run on two engines formats: an LQ4 turbo motor, or a BB 496 or 525 depending on the stroke. As a final note here, the K20 is an everyday driver, I work the snit out of it. However, My plan is an over winter project will make it better then factory, complete body redo, drive train would be as is, except a built 4l80e, to give me acceptable rpm on the freeway. Feel free to comment, be nice. Oh yeah, looking for min of 600 hp, need it.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
600hp is reasonable amd honestly that's pretty mild for a big block of that size 10.5 :1 and good ported heads/ intake she will make that without boost

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
As I get closer to building the future power plant for the K20, one of the dilemmas is what compression ratio to run, and still be able to afford the fuel. Wa St has the highest fuel cost in the nation, around $5.00 gal. As a frugal farmer, I get my gas from the Indians, cause it is cheaper, but it is 87 octane. So how to get better performance with cheap gas, (relatively.) Enter Water injection. In theory, I could have a high compression engine, 12-14:1, high boost, and still run 87 octane, on an aggressive tune (40 degrees advance, maybe,) AND use less fuel. This is achieved because the mixture is cooled, and secondly steam pressure. Cooler fuel is denser, so I could lean out the mixture, advance the timing, and make more power. This could be run on two engines formats: an LQ4 turbo motor, or a BB 496 or 525 depending on the stroke. As a final note here, the K20 is an everyday driver, I work the snit out of it. However, My plan is an over winter project will make it better then factory, complete body redo, drive train would be as is, except a built 4l80e, to give me acceptable rpm on the freeway. Feel free to comment, be nice. Oh yeah, looking for min of 600 hp, need it.
Honestly Sir, the more radical you make it the less dependable it becomes.

That being said I like radical, however you said you want a daily driver with big power which undoubtedly will be accompanied with big cost yet are too frugal to buy premium unleaded.

Water (methanol) injection does all of the things you claim but is another system to fail. If you don’t recognize that failure early you’ll be vaporizing pistons.

Do they sell e85 at the pump there? (Legitimate e85, not the winter blend we get in the mountains) Fuel Mileage would decrease but boy howdy boosted applications love that stuff. It’s got the benefit of methanol injection but already mixed in the fuel.

I gave up my desire to make big turbo power after my SXS ended up so radical that its dependability tanked. I ended up working on it and throwing money at it more than driving it.

Here’s what a $600 pair of Carillo CP forged 9:1 turbo pistons looks like when you get a little lean.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35