Cab Mounts...Worth the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I noticed my cab mounts look pretty ******:
You must be registered for see images attach

LMC wants something like $140 for a rubber kit, and $70 for polyurethane, but I found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/131180330178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. The board really seems to like Energy Suspension, so I'm leaning toward those. My question is, are they worth it? I think now would be the best time to change them, while they are easiest to get to. But I don't want to put the money and effort into something that's not going to make a big difference on ride quality, etc. So what's y'alls thoughts and expierences? Thanks y'all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow, no responses to a thread on GMSB??? I can only assume this is because noone has had any experience with the energy suspension body mounts. Nonetheless, that's no excuse. Of all the **** talkin and horseplay someone could have at least acknowledged the post.

Being you did go with these Myles, maybe you can also post up your after install pics, let us know how easy or hard the install was and how they ride and how you like them after you get the truck running. Looks like you're the Guniea Pig on this product so let the rest of us know.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya Im thinking of replacing mine this summer too. Those look a little different then the ones I was looking at through 4WD OFFROAD.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I replaced mine with the standard rubber ones. I have not driven the truck since replacing them so I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. I was repainting the frame so they had to come out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I never even saw this thread till now...

Here's my thoughts. GM designed the frames to flex. The rubber mounts let the frame flex without putting too much stress on the cab/fenders. With poly mounts, the cab/fenders are going to try and keep the frame from flexing, in turn they will have added stress put on them.

Whether or not any of this makes a difference in the real world is beyond me. I'm going to say that in most street driven trucks, poly will be just fine. But any truck that sees a lot of use off the pavement may end up with loose/misaligned panels. Aftermarket fenders tend to get stress cracks, particularly the '73-'80 fenders.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well I just saw this post too. I must have missed it. I have a k30 crew cab and it see's a lot of off road driving but I am not out there racing around. that gets expensive. plus I am older now and slower. I have the energy suspension poly mounts I have had them for years. I like them they did make the ride tighter, less roll but I like that. I also had them on my previous 4x4 k10 with 3/4ton axles. I would recommend them. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had new polys installed maybe a year ago. The old ones were completely shot. I think it rides better now. Certainly less flopping around of the cab than a set of tired rubber ones. All of my driving is street/highway, with some pretty primitive gravel roads thrown in for fun, but no off-road work.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
New here but this is my two cents...new is better than those old worn out ones. I have never used the poly alone so personally I would stick with the stock style rubber. Right now the '75 that I have owned for over ten years has a homemade poly 1" lift along with stock style rubber -I cut a 3" poly lift down as short as possible while allowing for clearance between the transfer case and cab with a two wd cab- I like the way it rides. For whatever that's worth.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I meant to comment on this, but it must've been lost in the shuffle... I have the Energy Suspension kit on mine and like them a lot. The truck will probably never be off-road, so no experiences there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great to see the different opinions. They all makes sense too. I too would like the tighter ride but does makes sense about the flex and off-road.

I was wanting to get new body bushings for the cap swap I intended on doing. Surprisinly enough, those body bushings on the 85 C20 that I pulled the cab off, those bushings are like new and really no need to change them at all so I'll be reusing them on the 85 K10 if 2wd and 4wd are the same.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
How are they noise wise on the road? I think the ones on mine should be replaced and I don't want any extra way of adding any road noise to a oversized steel drum.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine are quiet... They actually took out most of the squeaking I had with the factory originals that were worn out.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
I went and read some articles on the urethane bushings after seeing this. One article said they used the cab as a stressed member to hold the frame rigid (to keep the frame rails from moving fore and aft). I don't see that as a very good idea. This is what using the aluminum body pucks would do. However, I need to also mention that was going to be a dedicated pull truck. Even so, I can't see any good coming from stressing the cab mounts in that fashion. I would expect better control coming from triangulating with the cross braces just as the factory did only more.

For a streetable truck I don't see any need for that, the idea is comfort and as little stress on the trucks body as possible. I have seen and felt my old 78 flex the frame and cab to extremes. When the body lines are mismatched by 4-5 inches between the cab and box you know the frame is doing the job it's designed to do. That is why GM trucks are so capable. That is also why the factory used expensive rubber body mounts as opposed to anything else. But on the flip side, that is also why body panels are constantly going out of alignment on GM products.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I bought poly cuz I'm poor and can't afford rubber. But if I had the money I would have got rubber. The poly did tighten up the ride. But my ride is already rough enough being lifted and living on a dirt road. I bought my poly mounts through lmc and I should of bought a nicer brand because after a night of hard Wheeling I diclscovered 3 of my mounts were broken.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67