Dual Exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Things like Jose's problem is why I mostly let exhaust shops handle my exhaust needs.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hammer clearance trick? Sorry I'm not that motor savy :bawl:

Yup. If you need more clearance, hit it with a hammer. Flatten out the area that you need more clearance at. Just for the record, I don't like this approach.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
You got the wrong headers, looks like you got them for the later body style. Also, I think the pass side is supposed to go below the transfer case, not over.

the listing for the headers stated 87 or earlier....but i guess thats ebay for ya.
Also I've never seen the exhaust pipes go under the xcase....

Yup. If you need more clearance, hit it with a hammer. Flatten out the area that you need more clearance at. Just for the record, I don't like this approach.

Haha yeah I haven't tried this yet, I was gonna grind a bit off the frame but after hearing that it might be my motor mounts, i'm gonna be looking into that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
the listing for the headers stated 87 or earlier....but i guess thats ebay for ya.
Also I've never seen the exhaust pipes go under the xcase....

Haha yeah I haven't tried this yet, I was gonna grind a bit off the frame but after hearing that it might be my motor mounts, i'm gonna be looking into that.

why not just have an exhaust shop take a look at it for you. They could fix your issue correctly and with very little expense.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
why not just have an exhaust shop take a look at it for you. They could fix your issue correctly and with very little expense.

And not grind on your frame. Not worthy at all IMO. :nono:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
No doubt!!! I use a grinder for a lot of things but that ain't one of them :lol:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I think that pass side motor mount needs to be checked before any distruction of the truck takes place...would suck to weaken the frame just to find that all you needed was a mount.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I dont mean to bring a dead thread back to life but I just installed the same exhaust system including headers onto my new 84 chevy k10 and everything fits.

Nothing was wrong with the headers at all. They clear the frame pretty well. Turns out the passenger side of the exhaust was intended to go bellow the transfer case. I took my truck to the exhaust shop and they welded everything good and rerouted the passenger side. They even installed an H-Pipe.

The flowmaster 44's didn't sound as good as I hoped, if I could do it again I would of tried magnaflows. My truck doesn't sound deep or loud at all IMO

But hey you and live and you learn. Just wanted to give some info on all this, the headers turned out fine, the exhaust system turned out good. The mufflers could of been better.........

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
Eek! Personally, I wouldn't cut the frame. Any little bit you remove, removes strength from the frame. Not something I am willing to give up, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It seems the headers are a major generic type that never really got tested on this type of vehicle. Either that or you need new motor mounts. I was afraid of this type of fitment situation with them being so cheap. Looks like things don't fit like you hoped. I am going to a exhaust shop to have it run from the headers back when I have to redo mine. Hope you can get it sorted out to your liking.
ALL U HV TO DO IS MARK THE SPOT ON THE HEADER AND PUT A LIL DIMPLE IN THE HEADER, it has been done for years its not going to affect performance my .02c

lol lol

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
I dont mean to bring a dead thread back to life but I just installed the same exhaust system including headers onto my new 84 chevy k10 and everything fits.

Nothing was wrong with the headers at all. They clear the frame pretty well. Turns out the passenger side of the exhaust was intended to go bellow the transfer case. I took my truck to the exhaust shop and they welded everything good and rerouted the passenger side. They even installed an H-Pipe.

The flowmaster 44's didn't sound as good as I hoped, if I could do it again I would of tried magnaflows. My truck doesn't sound deep or loud at all IMO

But hey you and live and you learn. Just wanted to give some info on all this, the headers turned out fine, the exhaust system turned out good. The mufflers could of been better.........
good for u

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Reviving old thread, wouldn't the exhaust running under the tcase crossmember be a bad thing. Maybe not for street queens but for those that actually use their 4x4. that seems like a great place to pancake the pipe/tube.

On a side note: anyone ever had problems with the tcase from the heat or problems with brake and fuel lines ?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my truck has true dual exhaust. the passenger side goes between the transfer case and the frame above the crossmember. it goes right by my selector valve and the fuel hoses. I haven't seen any problems with heat or anything.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I got mine set up 2.5" each side, passenger side I made 2 small bends. Doesn't touch anything going through and has a lil dip under the speedo. Ends about where the gas tank ends (length wise) with turn downs. No mufflers just true dual cats (2.5" thunderbolts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade