Dual Exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can also buy header reducers with an O2 fitting already welded in.

I'd imagine that would be more accurate for the computer too. :waytogo:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

If they are long tubes, you will want to upgrade to the heated o2 sensor.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
OP, I didn't see it in the description, what size are the primaries? Will you measure them when you get them? Thanks! That is a good price for ceramic coated headers, kinda makes me wonder about the quality. Will take some good pics of them and post them for us? I am interested if they coated inside too. I might pick some up too.

About the muffler debate, any muffler sounds better than straight pipes to me. Look into Thrush Welded mufflers. Same style as Flowmaster, but way cheaper. Guy I work with put them behind a SBC with headers, they sounded VERY nice! Thinking about them for my truck when I redo the exhaust.

I sure will measure and post pics for sure. I hope to tackle the whole project next weekend. I'm gonna try going muffler less first, see how I like it then decide whether to go with a muffler or a glass-pack.

And I hope these headers are legit, I couldn't find any others for less that about $300

My next choice would of been these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Flowtec...es&hash=item20c442fb3c&vxp=mtr#ht_7192wt_1397

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks man! I have been looking at the Flowtechs also, for both the truck and my 85 Monte SS. Quite a few guys have them on their SS's and really like them. For the price guys say they are a great deal.

I will be watching this thread!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool, so is it just that headers are illegal, or that you need provisions for the O2 sensor? You can get headers with O2 sensor too, or just drill a hole and have someone weld in a nut with the proper threads. Then Y into a Cat and back out, or even go true duals and run smaller mono cats, 1 on each pipe with a balance tube and should sniff legal just fine so long as it passes visual.

You can also buy header reducers with an O2 fitting already welded in.

If they are long tubes, you will want to upgrade to the heated o2 sensor.

Yap, yap, yap , yap. Headers are legal if it passes emissions and I have dual cats. Cost is keeping me from doing it. I might even try those fake cats. As long as it looks legal, they will find a way around the sniffer, they got tricks. Yap, assuming the O2 sensor should be reading 4 cylinders instead of one, like it does right now. So would have to go with the collector mounted one and i guess splice and lengthen the harness to it, that shouldn't affect it's readings right? This is all a pipe dream anyway....

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yap, yap, yap , yap. Headers are legal if it passes emissions and I have dual cats. Cost is keeping me from doing it. I might even try those fake cats. As long as it looks legal, they will find a way around the sniffer, they got tricks. Yap, assuming the O2 sensor should be reading 4 cylinders instead of one, like it does right now. So would have to go with the collector mounted one and i guess splice and lengthen the harness to it, that shouldn't affect it's readings right? This is all a pipe dream anyway....

You can get an 02 sensor from a 94-95, and the pigtail on it would be long enough to reach...they are the ones where the sensor is down at th Y.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Any opinions on the flowmaster super 44 series?

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok so I got the headers and the exhaust pipes on there...with clamps for now.

Straight pipes is way too loud for my taste. I'll be adding mufflers. For now I have a few concerns.

one thing is on one side where the exhaust goes over the transfer-case, the pipes are touching both the xcase and the cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also the pipes are about an inch or two away from the drive shaft

The last thing is the headers are practically touching the frame. I plan on cutting the frame just for a bit of clearance.

Tell me what yall think!

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah that exhaust aint fitting too good, can you loosen the clamps and try to twist the pieces to get more clearance where you need it? What about the exhaust hangers, can you adjust it down some with them or relocate them? Never seen headers that close to the frame like that before.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Eek! Personally, I wouldn't cut the frame. Any little bit you remove, removes strength from the frame. Not something I am willing to give up, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It seems the headers are a major generic type that never really got tested on this type of vehicle. Either that or you need new motor mounts. I was afraid of this type of fitment situation with them being so cheap. Looks like things don't fit like you hoped. I am going to a exhaust shop to have it run from the headers back when I have to redo mine. Hope you can get it sorted out to your liking.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Yeah that exhaust aint fitting too good, can you loosen the clamps and try to twist the pieces to get more clearance where you need it? What about the exhaust hangers, can you adjust it down some with them or relocate them? Never seen headers that close to the frame like that before.

Well the pipe that goes around the xcase needs more clearance on the top. It seems like the header should be lower so the pipe can shift down. And to be honest the hanger isn't holding much, the pipe that connects to the header and goes around xcase was so stiff, it was such a tight fit that the pipe holds itself.

Eek! Personally, I wouldn't cut the frame. Any little bit you remove, removes strength from the frame. Not something I am willing to give up, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It seems the headers are a major generic type that never really got tested on this type of vehicle. Either that or you need new motor mounts. I was afraid of this type of fitment situation with them being so cheap. Looks like things don't fit like you hoped. I am going to a exhaust shop to have it run from the headers back when I have to redo mine. Hope you can get it sorted out to your liking.

Well you get what you pay for. The driver side has enough clearance, the passenger side is whats touching the frame. Could it really be worn motor mounts?
I'm also thinking of taking the truck to the exhaust shop and have them rearrange everything better plus weld the pipes and eliminate the clamps.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It could possibly be worn motor mounts. I see it quite a bit on the Monte SS board I am on. Did you already do the hammer clearance trick? Or is that just a reflection I am seeing? Don't take my word as gospel on the motor mounts, I would like to have at least one other person confirm it "could" be those.

Any idea on what mufflers you want to run? Might I suggest a non-name brand muffler that whatever shop you go to carries? I had a Volt muffler put on my 05 Sierra, and had a lot of guys at work say they liked it better than the Flowmaster 44 another guy had on his 04 Silverado. I always give this advice because he paid $100+ for his aluminized Flowmaster, and my polished stainless Volt was only $43.76, according to my bill of materials.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I will try to get a measurement on my engine cradle to balancer clearance when it stops raining, I did new motor mounts recently and you can measure yours and figure out if you need them or not. I have a 7" balancer though so you will have to add 1/2" to your measurement if you have the 8".

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
It could possibly be worn motor mounts. I see it quite a bit on the Monte SS board I am on. Did you already do the hammer clearance trick? Or is that just a reflection I am seeing? Don't take my word as gospel on the motor mounts, I would like to have at least one other person confirm it "could" be those.

Any idea on what mufflers you want to run? Might I suggest a non-name brand muffler that whatever shop you go to carries? I had a Volt muffler put on my 05 Sierra, and had a lot of guys at work say they liked it better than the Flowmaster 44 another guy had on his 04 Silverado. I always give this advice because he paid $100+ for his aluminized Flowmaster, and my polished stainless Volt was only $43.76, according to my bill of materials.

Hammer clearance trick? Sorry I'm not that motor savy :bawl:
I already ordered some flowmaster super 44 series muflers based on youtube videos ($65 ea), even though it does depend on the quality of the videos. Hope I don't regret it.

I will try to get a measurement on my engine cradle to balancer clearance when it stops raining, I did new motor mounts recently and you can measure yours and figure out if you need them or not. I have a 7" balancer though so you will have to add 1/2" to your measurement if you have the 8".

I appreciate it. I'll take a look at it some time this weekend.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You got the wrong headers, looks like you got them for the later body style. Also, I think the pass side is supposed to go below the transfer case, not over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade