Buying Exhaust Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
After replacing front half of my exhaust w/kats I found no good exhaust manifold. I have a manifold stud hole getting ready to break off where the exhaust pipe mounts to the manifold. I though about getting shorty headers since I just recently got the magnaflow 23453 but I had others tell me from other forums that there waste of money. Which should I do regular pair of exhaust manifolds or shorty headers?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
shortys, no question.

for what it costs to buy one manifold(most cases) you can buy the headers.

I think they are most likely talking on gaskets, warped flanges and such, those would be reason why someone avoids them, that and not being emissions compliant.

I got the stainless shorties on my 88 and wouldn't have it any other way.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
egr tube.

the vortec's had egr on the exhaust manifold or whatever and ran up to the intake and such.

I wouldn't watse my time on $200 black headers with a flange, unless you can't find some cheap ebay stainless for it, or the manifolds are $200 a piece new.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
trust me don't waste your time with headers i had a set on my truck and they were shot within a year i just put the damn manifolds back on it. and i was out about 150 bucks. find yourself a junk yard.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
trust me don't waste your time with headers i had a set on my truck and they were shot within a year i just put the damn manifolds back on it. and i was out about 150 bucks. find yourself a junk yard.

I'll have to see if the junkyards around can sell the manifolds. I know that they cant resell the pipe, mufflers, exhaust tips, etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
usually anybody resells manifolds but pipes is a no brainer usually since they are junk.

I'd go manifolds with it being that much.

If not I'd go with the gibsons, pretty sure they make em in stainless, chrome won't last, but stainless will.

As for headers lasting and falling apart, that's what the cheap black ones do. stainless lasts and so does ceramic, but not as long as stainless.

I'd keep looking for a cheaper set like the gibsons, no lower gasket, ball end, no cutting or welding, and in stainless if you can.

I wouldn't expect any huge gains in HP or TQ but for me headers look better, and look to me like they'd flow alot better, smooth bends, seperate tubes etc.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Get the Dorman manifolds from summit...free shipping. I have a set here for mine. Quality looks pretty good. going to install them tomorrow. They come with gaskets, donuts, and all new bolts and springs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Get the Dorman manifolds from summit...free shipping. I have a set here for mine. Quality looks pretty good. going to install them tomorrow. They come with gaskets, donuts, and all new bolts and springs.

Are they sold under the summit name? I didnt see any shorty's for a 97
K1500 in dorman.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
he said maniflds not shortys.

dorman doesn't make any shorties that I know of.

As for them making manifolds for a 97 hard to say, they may not make them yet.

I know for my 88 they wanted like a hundred a piece, which is why I went with headers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not a big fan of manifolds, or Dorman products these days.

As for headers lasting only a year, that's crazy. Somethings not right there. My '88 Burb and '84 C10 both got a new set of basic black headers about 7 years ago, and both have been daily drivers every winter. The Burbs were just recently replaced due to rust, and the C10's are just now starting to fail. Aftermarket manifolds will likely crack and split in just a few years.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen them fail after a few years, usually on those junky Ford 4.6's and 5.4's. Dorman products in general are going to hell in a hand basket, especially their window regulators and harmonic dampers.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've seen them fail after a few years, usually on those junky Ford 4.6's and 5.4's. Dorman products in general are going to hell in a hand basket, especially their window regulators and harmonic dampers.

I'll see how these hold up, then if I need to replace them, I will get the ATP ones, unless I can get by the smog referee and get my rig certified without AIR injection, then I can get a resonably priced set of headers from summit.
Either way, Ill bet they are all made in china now, but these look like they are just as beefy as the GM pieces.
Both brands may even come from the same foundry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS