bolts or studs for stock exhaust manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clintC

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
rebuilt motor/new manifolds...are studs w/ lock nuts a better/suitable choice instead of having to cut a 1/4" off the bolts I picked up yesterday....if so, do I still use anti-seize or blue loctite on the stud to head & does the lock nut throw off the torque reading

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Didn't describe the engine, assume a small block. Never used studs from the factory, use what GM used unless you have aftermarket aluminum heads, then use what they recommend.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
rebuilt motor/new manifolds...are studs w/ lock nuts a better/suitable choice instead of having to cut a 1/4" off the bolts I picked up yesterday....if so, do I still use anti-seize or blue loctite on the stud to head & does the lock nut throw off the torque

Get the correct bolts and washers and yes they are odd lengths. if you use anti seize you will have to reduce your torque readings. Do not use split lock washers,they just lose their tension with heat. Personally I'd just tighten them using common sense,after first heat cycle check them, in a week check them eventually they will quit moving.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
As stated, correct bolts. The best bolts IH used on their 345 engines. Years ago you could buy just the middle size for your GM. Copper coated steel, the IH set now five bolts, 3 sizes. Some sets are still available, way too much money.

You must be registered for see images attach

GM exhaust manifolds have 2 holes to locate the manifold. Studs will be trouble when you want to take the manifolds apart.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Many used a thick small OD flat washer.

Really all I ever used if anything was a drop of oil on the threads.

Don't overthink it.

clintC

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
wasn't able to find a bolt set locally (just header bolts) for the stock application (3/8 16 2 1/4), that's why I grabbed some grade 5 (I read anything stronger weakens w/heat) 2 1/2's and planned on cutting down if the stud idea wasn't practical

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
if I didn't overthink things.....what the heck would I do with all that unwasted time
LOL,

Reason I said that is sometimes people get into trouble trying to reinvent the wheel. Many times duplicating the factory is easier, less costly and more dependable.

GM knows GM products.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You may also need an exhaust manifold spreader if things don’t quite line up correctly. Cheap tool, but it can really help if holes in manifold don’t quite line up with the head. I got mine from NAPA.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You may also need an exhaust manifold spreader if things don’t quite line up correctly. Cheap tool, but it can really help if holes in manifold don’t quite line up with the head. I got mine from NAPA.

The OP did state new manifolds. Don't usually need the spreader unless they are old and a little warped.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
wasn't able to find a bolt set locally (just header bolts) for the stock application (3/8 16 2 1/4), that's why I grabbed some grade 5 (I read anything stronger weakens w/heat) 2 1/2's and planned on cutting down if the stud idea wasn't practical
O.E. bolts are bad enough about breaking after enough heat cycles. If you can't get the correct bolts,or arp bolts, I'd get grade 8s and grade 8 washers. I can just see 16 broken off grade 5 bolts next time you try take off the manifolds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef