Buying Exhaust Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
:waytogo: Not really convincing but thank you for linking it up. Let us know what you think of them once they're installed.

Well can you or somebody else post a link to a site that tells the pros and cons on short and long tube headers since that wasnt convincing enough.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well can you or somebody else post a link to a site that tells the pros and cons on short and long tube headers since that wasnt convincing enough.

Put em on, and if YOU like them, thats all that matters.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Put em on, and if YOU like them, thats all that matters.

x2

and IMO you'll love them, they look alot better and IMO I'd think they flow better, plus no rust.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Will do. I'll even post video on how sound if I dont forget. I'll be putting them on April 30th, Monday. Thats when where back in the shop again. My teacher told me to soak the manifold bolts thats on there so they are less likely to break when removing them.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
anytime rust or heat is involved you should soak them repeatedly, it helps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ordered these today from Jegs. Jegs matched the amazon price.

Woo Hoo !!! There went half the wife's disabiltiy check this month !!! :grd:

I hope they work out for you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Only benefit I see is they are stainless. They are only 1.5 inch primaries and the design of the collector looks like a pretty good bottleneck. They may have a slight improvement in low end torque but that's it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Next is the cold air intake to improve gas mileage. Only getting 16 on the highway/interstate.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Next is the cold air intake to improve gas mileage. Only getting 16 on the highway/interstate.

You're full of **** too. Well maybe. Even K&N air filter WILL TAKE AWAY MPG, not add in many cases. Many mods claim to do certain things. Yes, they can, but keep in mind, these mods are done in a lab with R & D engineers. R&D if you don't know is Research and Design. If you do all these mods, intake, exhuast etc etc, THEN do a chip power tune, you are likely to see some improvement. Just to go out and spend a bunch of money and bolt **** on and expect great improvements, you're smokin a pole.

I've proved it to my son in law over and over, he always does the flowmaster and K&N ****, then always has his **** in the shop for bad mpg and low performance and the dealers won't touch it cuz of the mods. Then he'll never buy another Jeep, Dodge, Ford, Chevy etc etc again in his life. All because the idiot won't listen to me. His Jeep went from 26mpg hwy to 14. I told him 100x trash that fuggin K&N once in for all. My daughter rode his ass, take it off it's costing us to much in fuel to go to OKC (from Abilene, TX). He told my daughter he did take it off and no change. One day, at his moms house here in town, cleaning his moms garage, my daughter found the box to the K&N. She says, here, put that K&N in the box, and you'll get more money for it on ebay. She opens it up, WTF is This??? He says, its the OEM air filter and pipe. She was pissed. You lied to me and told me you put it on 2 months ago. He says, I told you that, to shut you up, I didn't know where the OEM was, I'll put it on right now. He called me up after the got back home to Abilene, TX that weekend. And says, holly ****. You're right. We got 26mpg on the way home by putting the OEM back on. The K&N cost them 12mpg for over 6 months. WHY??? Cuz the motor never learned it, and the PROM wasn't tuned for it, so the feedback from the computer was fuggin up the AF mixture, Timing and all that BS. If you feel the need to mod a computer controlled vehicle and expect changes and improvement, you MUST tell the computer about the mods and how to treat the mods or you lose bad, not gain.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You're full of **** too. Well maybe. Even K&N air filter WILL TAKE AWAY MPG, not add in many cases. Many mods claim to do certain things. Yes, they can, but keep in mind, these mods are done in a lab with R & D engineers. R&D if you don't know is Research and Design. If you do all these mods, intake, exhuast etc etc, THEN do a chip power tune, you are likely to see some improvement. Just to go out and spend a bunch of money and bolt **** on and expect great improvements, you're smokin a pole.

I've proved it to my son in law over and over, he always does the flowmaster and K&N ****, then always has his **** in the shop for bad mpg and low performance and the dealers won't touch it cuz of the mods. Then he'll never buy another Jeep, Dodge, Ford, Chevy etc etc again in his life. All because the idiot won't listen to me. His Jeep went from 26mpg hwy to 14. I told him 100x trash that fuggin K&N once in for all. My daughter rode his ass, take it off it's costing us to much in fuel to go to OKC (from Abilene, TX). He told my daughter he did take it off and no change. One day, at his moms house here in town, cleaning his moms garage, my daughter found the box to the K&N. She says, here, put that K&N in the box, and you'll get more money for it on ebay. She opens it up, WTF is This??? He says, its the OEM air filter and pipe. She was pissed. You lied to me and told me you put it on 2 months ago. He says, I told you that, to shut you up, I didn't know where the OEM was, I'll put it on right now. He called me up after the got back home to Abilene, TX that weekend. And says, holly ****. You're right. We got 26mpg on the way home by putting the OEM back on. The K&N cost them 12mpg for over 6 months. WHY??? Cuz the motor never learned it, and the PROM wasn't tuned for it, so the feedback from the computer was fuggin up the AF mixture, Timing and all that BS. If you feel the need to mod a computer controlled vehicle and expect changes and improvement, you MUST tell the computer about the mods and how to treat the mods or you lose bad, not gain.

I'm sure there's more to it than that. It had to have been improperly installed, causing poor MAF readings or something. A higher flowing filter or intake tube is nothing that the ECM needs tuned for, and I've never heard of it costing MPG unless the filter is dirty (which most ARE dirty, because people think they don't need cleaned often).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm sure there's more to it than that. It had to have been improperly installed, causing poor MAF readings or something. A higher flowing filter or intake tube is nothing that the ECM needs tuned for, and I've never heard of it costing MPG unless the filter is dirty (which most ARE dirty, because people think they don't need cleaned often).

We went thru all that. I told him of to much oil etc, we even cleaned the MAF thinking maybe that was it. do keep in mind, this is the 4cyl new world motor. POS. Then he added a fuggin fart can to it. STUPID. The flowmaster fart can was OK. Didn't hurt a thing, but the K&N messed things up.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
0wow 16 I think my tbi 88 gets better then that and I got 3.42's with 39 inch tires, or did have. Plus th350 no OD.

I'd look more into some plugs wires, full tune up etc.

I think cold air is a waste these trucks already have cold air factory.

oh yea on top of my mileage I got open element sucking in nothing but hot air.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
0wow 16 I think my tbi 88 gets better then that and I got 3.42's with 39 inch tires, or did have. Plus th350 no OD.

I'd look more into some plugs wires, full tune up etc.

I think cold air is a waste these trucks already have cold air factory.

oh yea on top of my mileage I got open element sucking in nothing but hot air.

At the time, we're talking about a NEW Jeep with about 4,000 miles, as in FOUR Thousand miles. And it was a 4cylinder. He got pissed cuz Jeep wouldn't do anything with it after the 3rd time in testing everything and they told him get rid of the K&N that is your problem and its aftermarket so we can't touch it. This isn't the first time I've seen K&N have bad results. It's not all vehicles, but many computer controlled vehicles can have problems with them. Sometimes the problems are minor, like just a check engine code, etc.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've used K&N filters but just the drop in kind. I don't waste my money on the full on "cold air induction" kit as it's DEFINITELY a waste of money. The only reason I buy the drop in filter is because it saves me money in the long run (as long as I keep it clean) and I don't have to replace a filter every few thousand miles.

With that said, I've noticed NO change in MPG. I'd definitely never tell someone to get one and expect it to improve gas mileage one bit. If I remember right I tried a CAI kit ONE TIME and it through codes (for the exact reasons HRPC stated) and the computer couldn't compensate for it so I returned the kit and went back to just a drop in filter. :)

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My burb got 18 mpg on the last long trip. That was with TPI, stock 86 manifolds, 2 1/4 primaries/cats and then the 2 magnaflows.
If you go with headers in a truck, you dont want them much bigger than 1.5 to keep the torque dowm low, unless you are doing a gear change to bring the R's up.
One important thing a lot of people with EFI forget about is fuel pressure. as far as fuel economy goes, Just a 1/2 pound increase after exhaust and in take mods can make a world of a difference. And its a good idea to do some kind of de carbonizing at least once a year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt