Building a A-Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I need to build a A-Frame to put my truck cab on the frame this spring/summer. I thought about heavy steel pipe like they used on the old metal swing sets and grade bolts so can come apart when not using it. But still figure out construct a safe joint when joining the pipe together.

I have no help for this and sunbelt rentals doesnt have a frame rentals. I have no trees either.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why not use a cherry picker didn't you buy oine?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like a chain fall to me, I dont see no high-dollar hoist.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Or you could do it the easy way and build it out of wood, glue and screw 3 2x6;s or 2x8's togather to make a beam. Then use 4 4X4 posts to build the A.

Place the Beam on top of the 4X4's then cut out 2 triangular rafter plates to atach the beam to the posts.

Add your cross bracing in between the legs on each side and your done. You should be able to pick and set any cab, bed, engine, ect.

EDIT: DAMN Dave thanks alot that is gonna have to be something in my near future plans.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Or you could do it the easy way and build it out of wood, glue and screw 3 2x6;s or 2x8's togather to make a beam. Then use 4 4X4 posts to build the A.

Place the Beam on top of the 4X4's then cut out 2 triangular rafter plates to atach the beam to the posts.

Add your cross bracing in between the legs on each side and your done. You should be able to pick and set any cab, bed, engine, ect.

I thought about using 4x4's but didnt think they would to the weight of 67 truck cab.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I thought about using 4x4's but didnt think they would to the weight of 67 truck cab.

They will hold just fine, Decks have been made with 4X4's for years. But if your skeptical of the 4X4 step them up to 5X5's or even 4X6 posts.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
They will hold just fine, Decks have been made with 4X4's for years. But if your skeptical of the 4X4 step them up to 5X5's or even 4X6 posts.

I guess I should gone in detail on why I thought 4x4 wouldnt hold up. I was gonna use 4x4 instead a beam across the top.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I guess I should gone in detail on why I thought 4x4 wouldnt hold up. I was gonna use 4x4 instead a beam across the top.

That may be a little stretching it, will defintly be best to build the beam, Just think of it like a header above a door or window..

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I meant I dont need one with rollers that goes on a steel ibeam.

Ok Thank you. Now to find a steel ibeam.

WTF Dave make up your mind. For what you are doing you can make your Own beam out of wood for less then 25% of the cost of a steel I beam.

Hell you make the beam out of 2X8's and it would be strong enough to pick the whole front of the truck up with.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A truck cab really isn't that heavy. You could probably find somebody wanting a wooden swing set hauled out of their yard and use that. Take it apart, haul it away, reassemble, then add some extra bracing.

Where are you doing this? Level ground I hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB