Bed mounting hardware question (specific to '85-'86-ish 1/2-ton Fleetside long bed models)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
I just received a bed/frame mount hardware kit from LMC (P/N 30-0120). I added a diagram from LMC's site, and also photo that looks similar to what I received (photo courtesy of Brothers Trucks). My question is regarding the two (2) longer bolts, which are 10 1/2" long. I'm installing a Fleetside bed on an '86 1/2-ton C10 chassis.

On the 1-ton M1008/M1028/K30 frames, which have four (4) of these longer bolts, those bolts go through a heavy steel sleeve that mounts between the frame rails, and keeps the frame rails from crushing together when tightened. Based on the not-to-scale LMC diagram, I didn't realize these longer bolts would be so long, and expected them to mount only though the top flange of the frame. Instead, they'll drop all the way through the frame, with the washers/nut getting installed against the lower frame flange.

Did the mid-'80s 1/2-ton frames originally use some sort of crush sleeve similar to what I mentioned above with the 1-ton frame? I bought mine as a rolling chassis (no body), so I wasn't sure. I obviously don't want to over-squeeze the flanges of the C-channel frame.

Thanks,
Craig

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod