Brush Guard, watchu tink?

Leave the grate, or cut it out of the brush guard?

• Grate

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No grate

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
With that being said, I pretty much have to pick this one up for $50.

How come your brush guard sticks out so far on either side of your fenders? Is that just how it fits, or is it an illusion from the camera angle?

I do love the lights behind your brush guard. That would be my eventual goal. Are you running without a factory style grill in there?
A little bit camera angle. It's also a square tube instead of flat bar, and that's how it fits. Looking down the side of the body from behind you can barely see the whole tube.

Im running one of those "phantom" grilles, I think the lights would fit better with a factory grille. The lightbar is also a little long to fit nicely with the curve of the brush guard, it just barely touches one of the bars of the grille. A couple inch shorter lightbar and it would be perfectly fine, I just had this one from another truck.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Ture, can't beat the CUCV grill guard. They're just too cool.

Unfortunately they can't be had for $50, at least not that I've seen. The new CUCV guard repops from hillbillywizard.com are $485. That's not in the budget for my low budget squares. I offered a guy $40 for one on Craigslist years ago, similar to the Luverne, but never got a reply. It seems as though the stars have aligned now.

If I cut the grate out of this one, I think it'd be half way to a CUCV guard. If I added corner supports as @Camar068 suggested (I do have a welder) and painted it a solid color to fix the chrome plating that wouldn't match, I think it'd be 75% to a CUCV guard. Either way I'd have some light mounting options if the grate were removed. That appeals to me for setting up in the dark for goose hunting.

I'll report back after I see it in person.
I think that would look very good, I'd do that..

And I payed less than $50 for my entire CUCV truck, with grill Included, hehe.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
With that being said, I pretty much have to pick this one up for $50.

How come your brush guard sticks out so far on either side of your fenders? Is that just how it fits, or is it an illusion from the camera angle?

I do love the lights behind your brush guard. That would be my eventual goal. Are you running without a factory style grill in there?
different brand I'm sure. it's protection/deflection.....will it handle a cow....no.....but will hopefully help limit the damage from a D/A deer that gets in front of you.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
different brand I'm sure. it's protection/deflection.....will it handle a cow....no.....but will hopefully help limit the damage from a D/A deer that gets in front of you.
A ranch hand wouldn't even handle a cow. My grandpa smoked one back in the day, the truck got fixed, but it was bad.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I think that would look very good, I'd do that..

And I payed less than $50 for my entire CUCV truck, with grill Included, hehe.
How'd you manage that?

I paid $200 for my CUCV driveshaft last fall.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
How'd you manage that?

I paid $200 for my CUCV driveshaft last fall.
My dad was working for a nice old lady, and it wa sitting in her back yard. He asked about it, and she said "that old thing? You can have that, I dont want it" and home it went. It was free.
Was her husband's, but he died.

I've maybe put $1000 in it over time, between tires, and a few parts here and there.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I scored a nice 4' level and a skateboard from a junk pile tonight and thought I thought I was doing good. Lol.

That's awesome!
Haha, thanks. That's my first truck, been a long time project.
You must be registered for see images attach

Needs glass, haha. Hard to see threw plywood.

But nice finds of yours.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I did buy the $50 brush guard yesterday. I took this picture before I cleaned it up. It looks even better with the lichen and grime scrubbed off of it.

The driver's side bumper is a little beat up from pushing, but not too bad.

Other than that rubber bumper, it cleaned up real nice. Forgot the after pictures though :(

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350

Does anyone know where I can find some captive nuts/threaded clips to use with these square mounting spots?

The threaded clip behind there now spins and looks to be busted, which surely motivated the torch removal.

There's no way to get a carriage bolt behind it, even if the rubber bumper were removed from the front, and I think there has to be a better way than welding some nuts inside. Right?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Does anyone know where I can find some captive nuts/threaded clips to use with these square mounting spots?

The threaded clip behind there now spins and looks to be busted, which surely motivated the torch removal.

There's no way to get a carriage bolt behind it, even if the rubber bumper were removed from the front, and I think there has to be a better way than welding some nuts inside. Right?
What size is the cage nut? Auveco has all the automotive fasteners. This page shows up to 3/8". I know they have larger. You really need the paper catalogue, their online catalog is hard to use because they have so much stuff. Call them.

https://onlinecatalog.auveco.com/Car-Pak-Reference-Guide/103/

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

Can you use a Rivnut?...I think that's what they are called. It's like a pop rivet, but it has threads...

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Thanks @Turbo4whl. That's exactly what's in there, but with the metal cage arms rusted off.

I'll have to measure the square cut outs tomorrow to be sure of what I order.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg