Brush Guard, watchu tink?

Leave the grate, or cut it out of the brush guard?

• Grate

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No grate

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I got the brush guard mounted over the winter, and finally got the truck outside for a picture. It was certainly worth the modest investment.

You must be registered for see images attach
it does help intimidate those slow Ohians/Michiginians to get the arse out of the fast lane :D

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I should post a little more info for anyone still following along, or maybe someone in the future. Some lessons learned, if you will...

First, the outer front bumper brackets will not mount to the frame with the bumper installed. My truck was missing the outer brackets when I bought it, but I sourced some used ones last year and installed them in combination with the brush guard. The front bumper must come off to get those outer brackets on to the frame. This was the simple/obvious lesson.

Second, I should've rotated the cage nuts 90 degrees in the brush guard to prevent them from getting knocked out of position. While jimmying the brush guard up and down to find the threads with the mounting bolt, one of the steel tabs that retain the cage nut in the brush guard got unclipped. This happened because I initially had the steel tabs on the cage nuts above and below the square opening in the brush guard. If the steel retaining tabs were on the left and right sides of the opening, my cage nuts would've stayed put through the assembly process. I did have to rotate them all so the retainer clips were oriented vertically.

It wasn't as straight forward as I anticipated; a lot of messing around and hand bending those cage nut retainer clips. The challenges were multiplied by the lack of clearance behind the upper cage nuts in the brush guard. I can't recall the correct length mounting bolts, but it required a second trip to the hardware store because an extra 1/2" (or maybe 1/4") of threads was too much and caused the bolt to bottom out before it was tight.

Hopefully this educates somebody.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
it does help intimidate those slow Ohians/Michiginians to get the arse out of the fast lane :D
Usually my old Chevys do pretty good clearing traffic. It'll be interesting to see if the brush guard on the K20 helps even more.

It's a real shame riding/driving with my wife in her Civic. That poor car gets no respect in the fast lane.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
People generally always respect my area when I'm in my lifted burb. I get cut off wayyyyy less lolol. the truck douches get less offended too haha. Try driving a modded mini truck in a lifted 4wd town and see how many truck douches get "angry" at you lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8