Anyone ever seen a dash like this in a 73?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hard to tell here but heres a pic of my dads 73 c10. His dash dont look like that to me...

You must be registered for see images attach

Right, but that is not the original dash, or the gauge bezel has been changed. The dash pad has AC vents, the gauge bezel does not and it does not have an AC control for the heater.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Right, but that is not the original dash, or the gauge bezel has been changed. The dash pad has AC vents, the gauge bezel does not and it does not have an AC control for the heater.
Agreed, this truck was a parts machine. It was a get whatever will work to fix it. Not get whats 100% correct.Its an auto but look close and see a clutch pedal. This also got me thinkin im gunna hafta go hunt the spid and see how she was originally born! May hafta hit the gm heritage center with the vin too.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Did you notice the "External Tool and Storage Compartment" with the locking door that the Cheyenne Fleetside's had, it appeared to be on the drivers side bed fender? I want that on my truck!!! I've been looking for something like that for a jack and tools and whatnot to put in, for many years. I wonder how I would find one of those tool cabinets. That part of my bed fender has nothing behind it, it's wide open in a large area there. It would have a second gas tank there so the space is large. It says it's 28 x 17 x 7. I've got a big truck scissor jack, and tire tools that would fit right in there, plus whatever else I could put in there, maybe a spare hand gun for emergencies.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Did you notice the "External Tool and Storage Compartment" with the locking door that the Cheyenne Fleetside's had, it appeared to be on the drivers side bed fender? I want that on my truck!!! I've been looking for something like that for a jack and tools and whatnot to put in, for many years. I wonder how I would find one of those tool cabinets. That part of my bed fender has nothing behind it, it's wide open in a large area there. It would have a second gas tank there so the space is large. It says it's 28 x 17 x 7. I've got a big truck scissor jack, and tire tools that would fit right in there, plus whatever else I could put in there, maybe a spare hand gun for emergencies.

I have seen that in pictures for squares but dont recall seeing one in real life.

From looking at those brochures that appears to be an option that was dropped by 77 or so, so not common.

Our 75 Ford F250 Supercab had one - our '75 GMC half ton long bed did not.

The PO had put a toolbox and a headache rack with lights in the back, so problem solved.

:)

Maybe that's the answer right there - toolboxes were relatively cheap and offered more storage, so GM dropped it as an option.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Yeah, idn't ( slang for "isn't" )that the truth. "Oh, don't offer the consumer anything as cool as that it might catch on."
I guess the only way I'd ever get something like that is to build it myself. Yeah, it seems to me that I've seen all different kinds of tool boxes on the sides of pickups. Some come factory some are a custom job. The only thing is I would have to build the box out of sheet metal. I couldn't ever make something like that out of plastic. I've thought about it for years though. I would make it so the box, drawer, would slide out like a desk drawer on bearings in those sliding arms for drawers. I've seen them at Lowe's. You open the door on some kind of spring thing, or a small pressurized lift like on back hatches on SUV's only a tiny one and I've seen them that small, then slide the box out. Good idea?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Yeah, idn't ( slang for "isn't" )that the truth. "Oh, don't offer the consumer anything as cool as that it might catch on."
I guess the only way I'd ever get something like that is to build it myself. Yeah, it seems to me that I've seen all different kinds of tool boxes on the sides of pickups. Some come factory some are a custom job. The only thing is I would have to build the box out of sheet metal. I couldn't ever make something like that out of plastic. I've thought about it for years though. I would make it so the box, drawer, would slide out like a desk drawer on bearings in those sliding arms for drawers. I've seen them at Lowe's. You open the door on some kind of spring thing, or a small pressurized lift like on back hatches on SUV's only a tiny one and I've seen them that small, then slide the box out. Good idea?

The only issue I see with any of those is rust. If that rusts a hole thru you risk losing your good stuff.

Less likely with an in bed toolbox.

Having said that, I do not recall any issues with that '75 Ford Supercab my Dad owned, so maybe they took extra precautions from the factory.

Ironic that Dodge really expanded on the idea with the Ram Boxes, which have drain holes.

Cool idea.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128