350 Vortec Sluggish...Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
i have a 1998 GMC serria that has had a new motor put in before i bought the truck and its rather sluggish, i know what kinda power those motors have when they are running right and this one is far from that i have no check engine lights on anymore, fixed the MAP sensor, and removed the stopped up cats, and had the timing reset. still very sluggish and its getting 9-10mpg!!!! what the heck is up???

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 148

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've heard bad injectors can make them run bad and use a lot of gas. And they are expensive to replace!

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
I've heard bad injectors can make them run bad and use a lot of gas. And they are expensive to replace!

Damn thats what i was afraid of i know they are very expensive to replace the price per injector is crazy!!! its got 184k miles on it so injectors are prolly bad, anything i can check or try before dumping all that money and labor into doing that

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Fuel injection isnt really my strong point, may let this thread ride till the evening guys show up. :cheers:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Fuel injection isnt really my strong point, may let this thread ride till the evening guys show up. :cheers:

alrighty ill do it if thats what it is but i really hope it isnt cuz im not so sure id have enough confidence to change them myself never messed with 350 Vortec's before so without someone to help me that knows what they are doing ill let someone else change them out and thats really gonna hit my in my ass pocket for sure

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You will not replace each injector on that motor. You will replace the spider assembly of injectors unless you convert to Marine intake and injectors.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
You will not replace each injector on that motor. You will replace the spider assembly of injectors unless you convert to Marine intake and injectors.

like ive said ive never messed with 350 vortecs ive worked alot TBI 350s but not any vortecs, ive been on LMCtruck looking at there part diagrams and that crap looks like it can be a major headache to replace :/

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Tommy,
There was a recall on the original spider injectors. If the recall was not done, all 8 of your injectors are clustered together under the large electrcal plug behind the throttle body, and under the fuel lines in the upper ABS manifold plenum.
The injectors inject fuel through plastic lines, to pintle valves at the intake port. Those pintles leak, causing a ****** running engine.
The New spyder assembly that replaces it, have the injectors down at the intake ports where they are supposed to be. Its a direct drop in replacement. Plan about an hour for the whole job.
Try running your VIN on GM's website, that will tell you if the recall has been done on your truck or not.
You want to replace it with AC Delco P/N 2173029, $385 at Rockauto.
You should be getting at least 15 mpg under normal driving conditions.
And as far as the job being a pain...if you have done all that stuff on your square yourself, this is a walk on the park for you.

Last edited:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Tommy,
There was a recall on the original spider injectors. If the recall was not done, all 8 of your injectors are clustered together under the large electrcal plug behind the throttle body, and under the fuel lines in the upper ABS manifold plenum.
The injectors inject fuel through plastic lines, to pintle valves at the intake port. Those pintles leak, causing a ****** running engine.
The New spyder assembly that replaces it, have the injectors down at the intake ports where they are supposed to be. Its a direct drop in replacement. Plan about an hour for the whole job.
Try running your VIN on GM's website, that will tell you if the recall has been done on your truck or not.
You want to replace it with AC Delco P/N 2173029, $385 at Rockauto.
You should be getting at least 15 mpg under normal driving conditions.
And as far as the job being a pain...if you have done all that stuff on your square yourself, this is a walk on the park for you.

well that doesnt sound so bad now, good deal ill go check the vin and see what i can find out. thanks Jim

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
ok ran the vin and it has never had the recall done so i talk to my local dealership and buddy of mine works in the parts department up there and he has me everything i need on order should have it by wednesday and get'er in the shop and do it to it!!!! :grd:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
ok ran the vin and it has never had the recall done so i talk to my local dealership and buddy of mine works in the parts department up there and he has me everything i need on order should have it by wednesday and get'er in the shop and do it to it!!!! :grd:

That's awesome, so it is a free repair then?? :High 5:

Any recalls anybody know about on '89 Suburbans??? :roflbow:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

Dude you must have way to much frickin money!!!! You order a spider assembly from a dealership in HOPES that it will cure your sluggishness. What is so wrong with doing a little diagnostics? Didnt your profile say you was a "mechanic". Or was it supposed to read "parts changer":shitsweak:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
That's awesome, so it is a free repair then?? :High 5:

Any recalls anybody know about on '89 Suburbans??? :roflbow:

no it will NOT be a free repair. The recall only lasts for 10 years. After the first 10 years it is up to the owner to fix it.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Dude you must have way to much frickin money!!!! You order a spider assembly from a dealership in HOPES that it will cure your sluggishness. What is so wrong with doing a little diagnostics? Didnt your profile say you was a "mechanic". Or was it supposed to read "parts changer":shitsweak:

haha the dealership ran diagnostics on it for me and said that it was injectors and comment on my cat removal haha!!! so i said id replace them myself and they have the parts ordered. and i hate messing with newer vehicles but if i know whats wrong ill do the work just depends on what its, and yes i have a shop here at the house and i work on mainly old school cars and trucks. and make really good money, and the extra money i have since you say i have too much money me and my dad inherited 1500 acres of land and 5 oil wells and 2 natual gas sites but me having money is irrelevant i spend it well my friend hahaha

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
haha the dealership ran diagnostics on it for me and said that it was injectors and comment on my cat removal haha!!! so i said id replace them myself and they have the parts ordered. and i hate messing with newer vehicles but if i know whats wrong ill do the work just depends on what its, and yes i have a shop here at the house and i work on mainly old school cars and trucks. and make really good money, and the extra money i have since you say i have too much money me and my dad inherited 1500 acres of land and 5 oil wells and 2 natual gas sites but me having money is irrelevant i spend it well my friend hahaha

atleast you had it diagnosed.

lucky ****** :flipthebird:
:Moon:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher