350 small block with m12 crank bolt?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And Ace is closed on Saturdays.

I did my best to clean out hole in the crank and managed to get the new bolt in but not far enough. I can get the old bolt in until I think it bottoms outs. I have to double check, but I think now the problem is that the new bolt is too long. I'm going to clean out the hole a few more times to be sure, but I should be able to sort this out.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Bruce,
I just checked a couple of cranks I have here and the stock bolt threads in just about 3/4" into both of them. Do you have the big washer that goes on the bolt ? It is almost 1/4" thick.

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have the big washer and I put the whole assembly together and the new bolt's base sticks out about 1/2 an inch (this is not torqued down, dry without antisieze). I'll do the math later and try to figure out how much of the new bolts threads are captured, but it is at least 1/2".

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe someone stripped the crank threads trying to suck up the balancer with the bolt, then tapped it for 12 mm.

Yes, that's the only thing I can think of.

It would strange, but using a new 12mm bolt may be the way to go. I don't know what else can be done other than replacing (or possibly repairing) the crank.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bruce Wingate,

Since everything that used to be Standard, 7/16" - 20, is now metric! Find you a metric scale and measure that bolt and I'll bet you it's metric! It being so big my scales don't go that high or I'd tell you what it is.

Don't think that just because it's a Chevy part that means it's standard. Not any more. And they won't tell you that fasteners are all now metric either. I guess they leave that up to the customer to either know, or find out. If it won't go in but part of a thread, it's metric.

Bruce, don't retap the crank, that would be terrible if you ever wanted to use that crank for something else in the future. Just go get the right length 7/16" bolt and put that in. It's no wonder if it had been someone else they would have had a 3 foot breaker bar on that sucker cranking down on it by standing on the end of the bar and bouncing on it to get it to go in, ha, ha.

Last edited:

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
dry without antisieze)

Bruce,
The torque spec is for oil only. If you use anti-seize you can actually overtighten the bolt and risk stripping the threads. Just keep that in mind when you tighten it. I have never used anything but a little oil on those bolts.

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Bill K thanks for your help, after a couple of false starts, I got the right chasing tap and cleaned the threads up. A little oil on the threads and I got the bolt all the way in and torqued down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406