3/4 ton suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Haven't tried this before... @poboy73 and @colonel mustard

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/86-gmc-4”-rough-country-to-deaver-springs-4”.22683/

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/let’s-talk-bout-ord-flex-emoji123.22702/

Maybe these guys can help provide info about their custom spring setups and how they think it rides now.

This forum is about learning about what is available and what works for these trucks.

Years ago I asked questions about ORD custom springs and got some laughing response "I have 50 years of experience with leaf springs and know everything about them. Leaf springs cannot work like they claim. Huge waste of money, don't do it, you're stupid... etc"

I bought them from ORD and they do like they say. Downside is they cost twice as much as standard leaf springs.

From their website:

In a nutshell, we maximize the performance of the leaf spring suspension with more vertical wheel travel, more articulation ability, and a much softer ride. Our custom springs typically provide 10-11” of vertical wheel travel (about 50% more than lift kit type springs), articulation to rival link and coil systems (they'll use all of a 14" travel shock in articulation) and ride quality that lets you travel over rough terrain smooth and easy.

It's not all about wheel travel, many of our customers use our custom springs simply to make their old truck ride nice. They are a night-and-day difference compared to "lift kit" springs.

The springs are built specifically for your truck based on our experience and your needs.

An ORD custom leaf suspension system is as close as you can get to link and coil performance and still bolt them on your truck quickly, easily and affordably.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
I have a question, I just picked up a 1983 GMC High Sierra K2500 and it rides very stiff. It came with a towing hitch and 5th wheel already on it. Not sure if the towing package was stock and if that's why the ride is so stiff but it was a 6.2 diesel that a previous owner converted to 350 sbc if that helps.
Its way more stiff than I expected, compared to the 1978 half ton 2wd Chevy I had back in high school. Is there a lift kit, suspension upgrades, and/or seat conversion you would recommend for better ride quality? Not sure my kidneys will be able to handle hunting season with the current set up hahaha. I'm new to the forum and new to the Square body 4WD scene. Thanks in advance for any and all info.

yes there is. because your truck is set up for towing and its diesel (converted to 350?) you should call Stephen Watson at off road design. don't just order whatever you see on there website. its much easier to spend that kind of money if you can hear someone explain to you why there custom springs are so much better.

I have had many lifted trucks.in all sorts of different setups. I have now been riding on ORD custom 6" springs for 5-6 months now. this is hands down my favorite kit. its as smooth as my 2011 Silverado. it soaks up bumps offroad, flexs' like crazy. I honestly cant say enough good things about them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think we ever did find out what spring setup is currently in use. It could be stock or it could have a bunch of leaves added in, making ride like a log wagon. If that is the case, just getting a stock type ride quality back might be all it takes to be happy with the truck.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Spent 11
Hours installing new Alcan springs yesterday

Rides so much better !

About the same as a new pickup
Firm but not jarring or stiff

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Nice! Did you post any pics of this anywhere yet? How much lift? Front springs only? Front and rear?

Submariner592

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I also have a 2wd 3/4 tone. I switched the 10 ply tires to General AT's and I have lowered the air pressure to 36psi. I have not seen any extra wear on the tires. In the Winter I also add 350lbs. of sandbags over the rear axle. I must say the ride is surprisingly good, especially in the Winter.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My dad used to have a '67 Chevy C10 that wouldn't make it out of the driveway in winter without weight in the back. His mechanic friend told him to buy semi truck intertubes at the truck stop then crimp the ends closed after adding sand (with wire). Kinda looked like sausages. The rubber wouldn't let them slide around and the crimped ends make for some good handles when loading/unloading. Plus the sand stayed dry in case you did get stuck it wasn't one big frozen clump and could open the end to sprinkle some on the ground.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice! Did you post any pics of this anywhere yet? How much lift? Front springs only? Front and rear?
No pics

It looks the same as before

Truck had a four inch lift of unknown brand we installed a couple years ago from a parts truck we bought for the axles and lift

New Alcans front and rear

Oh and to the people planning on swapping springs

A lesson learned :

Buy new bushings for the shackles and new bolts for everything and a large package of high quality blades for your sawzall
I would recommend the greasable bolts / bushings from ORD

Just cut the old bolts on each side of the spring

Half the bolts are rust welded to the metal sleeves in the bushings and no amount of pounding with a BFH will get them out

It took us a lot longer to get the old bolts out without damaging them so we could reuse em
We borrowed a shop on Saturday from a business jays closed on the weekends so we had to be done and gone , we couldnt order more bolts and finish the install a week later

The rear shackle flip kit is a pain to install
Grinding and knocking out the rivets to get the old hanger off is a pain
But rides better than lift blocks

I can’t praise Alcan enough

They asked a lot of questions
And if you can you should weigh your truck and be able to tell them what the actual weight on your front and rear axles is

THey will custom make the springs to your truck and although they said 4-6 weeks lead time when we ordered , they were done in a week

Shipping is pricy , around $250, but gotta get them to you somehow
They will allow you to arrange truck freight but we chose to have Alcan ship them so if there was any damage or issues with shipping, it would be alcans problem , not ours .

If you’re around Atlanta and wanna test drive some 4” Alcan springs
Lemme know
It’s firm but not harsh
When we first bought this truck it had stock springs
And the Alcan 4” springs ride better than the stock ones did

There are some bumpy streets near where I live you learned which side of the road to drive on to dodge the sewer manholes and where the tree roots have pushed up the pavement

you can still feel em but it doesn’t slam and bang over every crack in the pavement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120