3/4 ton suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What springs do I need for a 6" lift on it. Asking for a friend.
Tell your friend to join the forum, introduce himself (herself..?) and then learn how to use the search feature.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Basically, I'm just looking for suspension upgrades on ride quality. Went through a dip, that I've gone through hundreds of times with my 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD, and was almost thrown through the roof in the 3/4 ton. lol. I didn't think the difference between 1/2 tons and this 3/4 ton would be night and day.

Welcome-

Quite possibly your truck might have been setup just to haul a lot of weight. That diesel engine used to weigh a lot more than that small block. Without the weight it will ride horrible.

For suspension upgrades for ride quality I'd recommend:

1) Tuff Country softride front springs
2) Remove front sway bar or buy a disconnect kit for it. This will make a big difference in the ride if a lifted truck.
3) Buy some quality shocks. I like Bileteins...
4) Rear suspension... depends on what leaf spring packs you have and if they added add-a-leafs to it to stiffen it up even more. (might have to remove leafs or just get a new set of stock replacement springs). With a standard leaf pack installing a shackle flip can make it ride a lot nicer and still maintain load carrying capability. The stock shackle is pretty much stuck in place. With a shackle flip it is now able to flex and move thus soaking up a lot of the bumps. Shackle flips start at a 2.5" lift.
5) Greasable bushings are nice to allow the springs to flex and move also.
6) Tire pressures and sizes. My truck had 235/85R16s on it once upon a time. Original owner had all 4 at 80 psi. Might as well have solid rubber tires. I changed to 265/75R16 then 285/75R16 tires at about half the pressure and they both rode a lot better.
7) Or for the best ride look at Alcan or Deaver springs. $$$ but very nice.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog.htm

This is a good place to check out and learn about suspension and what upgrades are available.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Tell your friend to join the forum, introduce himself (herself..?) and then learn how to use the search feature.

Your kidding of course.

It's a joke.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Y'all are funny.

Even the OP made a funny but he didn't realize it.

Dude. Are you SERIOUSLY expecting a live front axle METAL :headbang: 4x4 , 3/4 ton truck that was built THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO to be anything remotely like a six year old, plastic piece of ****, with an independent front suspension with a less than 10 year life expectancy?

I bet it gets really good gas mileage huh grandpa? It is OBVIOUSLY too much truck for you. This thread cannot be lived down. Bow out now and walk away..
A 3/4 has more/ thicker springs. The fix you want involves a different truck. Sell it to somebody else and buy something different.
Leave your man -card at the front desk or we'll call Security. :893karatesmiley-thu

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Y'all are funny.

Even the OP made a funny but he didn't realize it.

Dude. Are you SERIOUSLY expecting a live front axle METAL :headbang: 4x4 , 3/4 ton truck that was built THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO to be anything remotely like a six year old, plastic piece of ****, with an independent front suspension with a less than 10 year life expectancy?

I bet it gets really good gas mileage huh grandpa? It is OBVIOUSLY too much truck for you. This thread cannot be lived down. Bow out now and walk away..
A 3/4 has more/ thicker springs. The fix you want involves a different truck. Sell it to somebody else and buy something different.
Leave your man -card at the front desk or we'll call Security. :893karatesmiley-thu
Well said. One other point to make, not only is the newer truck you're comparing it to a half ton, it's actually heavier than the square. Not a lot of people realize that. All that thin sheet metal and plastic adds up after a while. More weight, softer suspension, just like all the soccer moms wanted for a grocery getter.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Don't know why you guys are going on like this... it is a perfectly good question.

With my setup right now I'd take it head to head any day with any newer truck (half ton or 3/4 or 1 ton) except for maybe the Raptor or the new ZR2 and compete against load carrying capability or fast travel across any terrain. And I'd win.

Get some Alcan or Deaver front springs then some long 56" rear springs with a shackle flip. Then quality shocks. It rides nice. Better than anything else I've been in.

Whats so hard to understand about that?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
My solution is to drive around with a yard of gravel in the bed. Makes it plush.
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Wow- that's a clean looking truck. Mine hasn't been that clean in... well... 42 years.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
1/2 and 3/4 ton Square Bodies are two totally different rides. In no way can you compare either with today's trucks. Going with a full coil over set up would probably be the only way to get the same ride quality. Very pricey though.

I have run Tuff Country EZ Ride springs in the front of a couple of trucks and they have been the best of the 5 lifted Square bodies I've had. For the rear, you could probably remove a leaf or two, then make up the load capacity with a set of bolt-on air bags like those by Firestone or Hellwig.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
For the rear, you could probably remove a leaf or two, then make up the load capacity with a set of bolt-on air bags like those by Firestone or Hellwig.

If I do something different, this is the route I’d go.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Double post

Lance Fillspipe

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
Welcome-

Quite possibly your truck might have been setup just to haul a lot of weight. That diesel engine used to weigh a lot more than that small block. Without the weight it will ride horrible.

For suspension upgrades for ride quality I'd recommend:

1) Tuff Country softride front springs
2) Remove front sway bar or buy a disconnect kit for it. This will make a big difference in the ride if a lifted truck.
3) Buy some quality shocks. I like Bileteins...
4) Rear suspension... depends on what leaf spring packs you have and if they added add-a-leafs to it to stiffen it up even more. (might have to remove leafs or just get a new set of stock replacement springs). With a standard leaf pack installing a shackle flip can make it ride a lot nicer and still maintain load carrying capability. The stock shackle is pretty much stuck in place. With a shackle flip it is now able to flex and move thus soaking up a lot of the bumps. Shackle flips start at a 2.5" lift.
5) Greasable bushings are nice to allow the springs to flex and move also.
6) Tire pressures and sizes. My truck had 235/85R16s on it once upon a time. Original owner had all 4 at 80 psi. Might as well have solid rubber tires. I changed to 265/75R16 then 285/75R16 tires at about half the pressure and they both rode a lot better.
7) Or for the best ride look at Alcan or Deaver springs. $$$ but very nice.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog.htm

This is a good place to check out and learn about suspension and what upgrades are available.

This is the stuff I was looking for, thanks for the great information and help, I'm not the richest guy in the world and want to make sure I do it right the first time. I can't afford to be throwing money into it and not build it right. And because I don't know anything about lift kits I asked for help on best suggestions from those that have tried different lift kits, what they preferred and would recommend.

Yes, I know a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are two different animals that's why I asked for suggestions and threw some humor into my post. Thanks for the the help and the laughs. I'll keep looking to see what other hidden gems I can find in the threads on lift kits, shocks, leaf springs, and ride quality. Think I'm looking for that 4 inch lift kit, Z-71 package for my 3/4 ton square body hahaha

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I found that the ride of my 3/4 ton truck really smooths out once I get about a ton (2000 lbs) of weight in the bed. But its a little slower off the line.

However, I made the mistake of buying two cubic yards of dirt without first calculating that it probably weighed about 3600 lbs - only about 1000 lbs over my load rating. I heard suspension creaks and groans that I've never heard before, but it handled it without anything breaking.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28