1981 El Camino parts runner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Airbags are in and new rear shocks. Need to bleed rear brakes again and then move to the front after I get better tires put on the 15's for the rear. Also installed oil pressure gauge and the circuit is doing odd things. Need to troubleshoot as gauge pegs to max at warm idle while pressure switch indicating less than 5psi
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Other than the grey, no actual shavings in the oil yet. Did not look that great. Maybe the grey part is from the bearings or assembly/break in, not sure yet. I am leaning towards oil pick up sealing issue, but it is a pain to pull the pan as engine has to be raised up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does it sparkle at all in the sunlight? A cam going south can produce oil that looks like that. If it's from break-in lube, they used way too much.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Does it sparkle at all in the sunlight? A cam going south can produce oil that looks like that. If it's from break-in lube, they used way too much.
Never got a sparkle with a flash light. 15w40 gets me 25psi cold idle, 3-5psi warm idle. Goes up with throttle 3k rpm 30psi hot or cold

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Never got a sparkle with a flash light. 15w40 gets me 25psi cold idle, 3-5psi warm idle. Goes up with throttle 3k rpm 30psi hot or cold

Sounds like my old green Suburban that someone stuck a worn out 305 under the hood. I ran heavy oil and that was the oil pressure readings it had for the couple years we used it as a daily driver. The oil never had the gray deposits though.

Is the pressure reading coming from down by the oil filter or up by the distributor?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Get a magnetic oil pan plug.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sounds like my old green Suburban that someone stuck a worn out 305 under the hood. I ran heavy oil and that was the oil pressure readings it had for the couple years we used it as a daily driver. The oil never had the gray deposits though.

Is the pressure reading coming from down by the oil filter or up by the distributor?
Measuring by the distributor. Some one did something with the motor before as it has been painted, resealed and freeze plugs replaced. Maybe more. Then all the old accessories put on it. No timing tab either.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Get a magnetic oil pan plug.
I took a very strong magnet through the old oil and nothing really got picked up. Grey is not magnetic

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Thicker oil doesn't really change anything. At warm idle pressure drops to 2ish psi and instantly jumps up with rpm rise. Guessing probably going to be trying to drop the pan in the next couple of days.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Pulled the pan. Random crank and rod bearing check appears fine. Oil pump is standard m55 and looks to be fine as well. Either need to start pulling all the caps to check bearings or problem is elsewhere.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Still low oil pressure but needed to move things. Helper bags really help with the ride. Ordered high volume oil pump for it.