04' Cavi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dave's not far off. Start the car and turn on the AC, then smack the blower motor with a hammer and prybar. The motor will probably start going with a couple good smacks and you know it needs replaced. If it still doesn't run, unplug it and test for power.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
agree with dave and bucket on this one

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Did anybody ever think that would come out of here that we agree with Dave lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I ran it in 90 degree heat and the a/c cycling on and off, even still that little tech 4 cylinder still hovered around 195 degrees refusing to over heat. I think I might stick one of those 4 bangers in muh burb.

It is very tight and compact in there where the fan is, I will try to knock it loose and go from there. Thanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did anybody ever think that would come out of here that we agree with Dave lol

No, and I still don't. The question wasn't, my fan motor doesn't come on. The question was, shouldn't the fan motor come on with the AC leading me to believe the fan motor was working but not when the AC was on. Or the complaint was, the fan doesn't come on with the AC. So I'd have had to have more info before I started suggesting replacing the fan motor.
It's almost like telling someone to rebuild their transmisison cuz it slipped in reverse a little bit this morning when backing out of the driveway, before you ask if they checked their fluid level. He may have gotten LUCKY and made the right guess without all the important info. But, that's the difference in a parts changer and a mechanic. Know all the details before you make suggestions.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Another possibility is that the tstat is stuck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No, and I still don't. The question wasn't, my fan motor doesn't come on. The question was, shouldn't the fan motor come on with the AC leading me to believe the fan motor was working but not when the AC was on. Or the complaint was, the fan doesn't come on with the AC. So I'd have had to have more info before I started suggesting replacing the fan motor.
It's almost like telling someone to rebuild their transmisison cuz it slipped in reverse a little bit this morning when backing out of the driveway, before you ask if they checked their fluid level. He may have gotten LUCKY and made the right guess without all the important info. But, that's the difference in a parts changer and a mechanic. Know all the details before you make suggestions.

Except in this case, yes the fan is supposed to come on with the AC and it's a VERY common problem with the newer Cavi's and Sunfires. If the ac doesn't work, some people drive for years without knowing the fan motor has failed just because the cooling system is plenty good enough and it's difficult for one to run hot. Lucky guess or not, Dave had the right answer and i don't think it's right to rag on him about it. Just my thoughts.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Except in this case, yes the fan is supposed to come on with the AC and it's a VERY common problem with the newer Cavi's and Sunfires. If the ac doesn't work, some people drive for years without knowing the fan motor has failed just because the cooling system is plenty good enough and it's difficult for one to run hot. Lucky guess or not, Dave had the right answer and i don't think it's right to rag on him about it. Just my thoughts.

Well Dave, you and towman are right, I got an extension bar and a hammer and smacked it lightly and that sumbitch fired right up!

So now I know what I got to order. I don't think I can install it, I can't even fit my hand in there to reach the harness plug, it's TIGHT. I imagine it might have to be installed from underneath on a lift? Anyway I can at least get the part for a good price and have somebody charges us an hour labor to install and not get raped on the part. Appreciate the help fellas.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can get to everything from up top, but I have skinny arms. The problem is usually the two lower mounting bolts. The speed nuts rust and break off, then the bolts just spin. Your options are break the shroud loose at the bottom, or do an in-car fan motor replacement. Or I guess you could cut little access holes in the lower core support, to get at the speed nuts with vice-grips.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Well Dave, you and towman are right, I got an extension bar and a hammer and smacked it lightly and that sumbitch fired right up!

So now I know what I got to order. I don't think I can install it, I can't even fit my hand in there to reach the harness plug, it's TIGHT. I imagine it might have to be installed from underneath on a lift? Anyway I can at least get the part for a good price and have somebody charges us an hour labor to install and not get raped on the part. Appreciate the help fellas.

Can I caution you on buying the part and paying a shop do it. Reason being most shops wont put on parts that customers buy ahead time cause if the part fails they expect the shop to warranty it even they didnt buy the part. Now if your having someone come to house and do it that know then thats diferent.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You have to take the whole fan assembly out. Some vehicles you gotta take the radiator too just replace the fan motor.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Not so sure I call it a ragging. He is attending school for auto mechanics correct? I call it education. Point I was making, collect more info BEFORE you start throwing **** on the wall to see what sticks. In this case, he was lucky and threw a biggo fist full of diarreha and not only did it stick, it ran down the whole wall and covered the issue.

Now if you, Retro or a few others came in said the same thing, I'd probably be on board, but I'd more expect a response of, It's very common that these fans fails in Cavis and Sunfires so check it by.... Make sense???

No it wasn't a rag, and if I'm guilty of anything, I'm guilty of considering the source if that makes any sense. :signs75:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS