Wolverine Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

609 Square Body

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Gogats
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently got this cam from a friend. I'm building a 350 for my 1987 k10. Its an sm465 with the factory 308s for right now. The truck is going to be used in the woods with the occasional street drive. Do you think this cam will work for me? Or am I better off finding something else?

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice mild cam, should work well.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, looks like a good cam for low-mid range torque. It's probably happy with 8.0-9.0 compression ratio. Be sure to read up on breaking in a flat tappet cam.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
i would question the heat treat. wolverine? just a relabled copycat of a rv mellins? closes at 64? i wouldnt use it for a doorstop.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i would question the heat treat. wolverine? just a relabled copycat of a rv mellins? closes at 64? i wouldnt use it for a doorstop.

"Closes at 64". That's pretty much in line with other 266 cams from the 80s-90s. If you google Blue Racer, you'll find they had a decent reputation back then. Fast ramps like the newer stuff? No. Easy on the valve train and lobes? Yes. Reminds me of the GM factory cams and other 80s-90s cam families like CompCams High Energy and Crane Energizer. All were quiet and easy on valve trains, and didn't try to press the limits of flat tappet lobes.

FWIW, Crane bought Blue Racer in 1994, and carried the line for quite a while.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
"Closes at 64". That's pretty much in line with other 266 cams from the 80s-90s. If you google Blue Racer, you'll find they had a decent reputation back then. Fast ramps like the newer stuff? No. Easy on the valve train and lobes? Yes. Reminds me of the GM factory cams and other 80s-90s cam families like CompCams High Energy and Crane Energizer. All were quiet and easy on valve trains, and didn't try to press the limits of flat tappet lobes.

FWIW, Crane bought Blue Racer in 1994, and carried the line for quite a while.

i have never heard of them. who actually manufactured them? the cheap copy cams had, in many cases, poor heat treat as did some of the GM oem cams. there were even regrinds on the market. so, crane offered a cheaper cam and advertised it as part of the crane family? could this be a regrind? i dont know, but i do know the most expensive part of building the long skinny metal stick with lots of bumps would be the heat treat. and we are talking trucks here. those really heavy vehicles made for towing and hauling really heavy things. closing at 64 is too retarded, it would require cmpression bump to get back the low end, which requires different intake and exhaust tuning , which requires different ignition curves, etc: sure is a lot of work for a cheaper made part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub