wiring questions. bad ground?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I know its not a technical squarebody but I just picked up a 1990 chevy for $400. I have a problem tho. When the head lights and cabin lights are off everything works but when the cabin lights and head lights are on the tail lights blinkers and radio dont work. Any help? Thx

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know its not a technical squarebody but I just picked up a 1990 chevy for $400. I have a problem tho. When the head lights and cabin lights are off everything works but when the cabin lights and head lights are on the tail lights blinkers and radio dont work. Any help? Thx

That is wierd cuz those items aren't on the same circuit to the best of my recallection. When you say cabin lights are you referring to the dome light? Dash lights? or overhead cab marker lights?

Does make me think of the headlight switch though. But why would that affect radio? :shrug: There are a few GMT400 body guys here. Help will be here soon.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
That is wierd cuz those items aren't on the same circuit to the best of my recallection. When you say cabin lights are you referring to the dome light? Dash lights? or overhead cab marker lights?

Does make me think of the headlight switch though. But why would that affect radio? :shrug: There are a few GMT400 body guys here. Help will be here soon.

Aftermarket radio? Almost sounds as if someone butchered the electrical to put something in there that wasn't there originally. Extra amp or something. I've seen guy cross circuit stuff doing their own work.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would be dash lights. Yes it has an aftermarket radio in it but it doesnt work half the time. If the radio is on and I hit the any button on the dash the radio shuts off and then turns back on even if I hit the horn the radio flickers

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
then your culprit is the radio. I bet the PO tied into the instrument cluster for power and lighting.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there anyway to deal with this while keeping the radio or is just getting rid of the radio the best option

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
you can keep the radio, you just need to get it tapped into a different source than it currently is.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
what would you recommend taping into? just an open slot in the fuse box?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hopefully somebody can post up some diagrams for you. Retro is GMT400 savvy. Hopefully he can chime in.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok thx. ill just have to start digging until then

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
not really. i just need to know what wire to splice back together and what what to cut into

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wiring diagrams for base and "deluxe" sound systems:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than the speaker feeds you are dealing with only 3 wires on the original side of the head unit to chassis wiring connector.

The Chevy yellow wire - main power. It is switched on when the key is in either the run or accessory position. It should go to the red wire on the radio.

The Chevy gray wire - lighting supply. It should go to the orange/white wire on the radio

The Chevy black wire - ground. It should go to the radio's black wire.

If you are having problems when the parking or headlights are turned on, there is probably a short in the illumination wiring circuit (gray- to -orange white). It plugs into the fuse block at one of the "L" sockets. Pull the gray wire from the fuse block and see if it resolves the issue.

Orange/white is the aftermarket standard color for head unit lighting - but without a make/model of the head unit I can't say for sure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thank you Jerry

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok guys new problem. Radio is wired 100% percent correct I looked at it and ever had a shop look at it but for some reason the tail lights and radio dont work with head lights and cabin lights on..
Any more help?
Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1