Fuse Box Ground issue /? 77 K15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crownsd11

Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Picked up a 77 K15 project no engine, I dropped in a 350 and wired up the basics , starter, alternator and distributor with the original harness which found pretty intact on the firewall. While I'm at it I'm replacing all the gauges with some nice looking autometer's which leads me to my main concern as is started wiring up some of the gauges by tapping into the back of the original instrument panel for some basic power and ground I noticed that my fuse panel is giving a ground to the frame and to black ground wires on the instrument panel.

Example of how I found this issue is I put a lead from my meter to the main power fuse or power lead on my fuse panel and the other lead to blk ground wire and get continuity between those 2 areas. I also put my lead to the frame ground and same thing. I then put my lead on another area on the fuse panel and turn the key ignition on and get continuity thru that circuit. I took it a step further and went straight to the positive battery cable with 1 lead and again to frame ground and I get continuity there as well. Keep in mind I have not installed a battery or even attempted to start the engine yet because of this issue I discovered while wring up some gauges.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting a ground type of short to my fuse box and in some cases to some fuses only when I turn the ignition to the on position?

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
The circuits are a loop. You will see continuity with ground on the positive side of the circuit.

Crownsd11

Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Your right I got to much in my head when I was working through this , thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag