Whose got the best body replacement parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Where is everyone getting their metal from? I am looking at getting both front fenders on my '87, cab corners and a cowl hood.

LMC is only about a half hour drive, given heavy traffic, and classic parts warehouse is only a few miles down from my work. I have seen some reviews that LMC has crappy metal and fitment issues. Nothing on Classic Chevrolet parts as of late.

Only other companies I've seen are Brothers and Goodmark.

Suggestions?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have bought amd metal for my camaro and it was decent

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
LMC and classic parts are essentially the same thing as far as body panels. My '77 has LMC panels for the front fenders, hood and doors. Fitment was perfect so it has to be worked with like all non OEM metal but once all was said and done I felt like the panels weren't bad :shrug:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
LMC and classic parts are essentially the same thing as far as body panels. My '77 has LMC panels for the front fenders, hood and doors. Fitment was perfect so it has to be worked with like all non OEM metal but once all was said and done I felt like the panels weren't bad :shrug:

I kinda figured they were the same, or at least got their parts from the same supplier. Hmmm nothing best OEM parts but that comes with a price tag and scarcity. Your '77 looks great too. We have some time still but just trying to get a parts list and price range ready.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Front fenders can be found from part outs in good shape. Shipping price not that much different from buying repro. The repro hood i have is almost twice lighter compaired to original. Not necessary a bad thing, but is different.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Front fenders can be found from part outs in good shape. Shipping price not that much different from buying repro. The repro hood i have is almost twice lighter compaired to original. Not necessary a bad thing, but is different.

I did not even think about looking for "part out" threads on facebook or Craigslist. Good call.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I did not even think about looking for "part out" threads on facebook or Craigslist. Good call.

Yes, CL can be quite good. The most recent deal i did was to buy a '86 K20 4x4 for $700. Kept the OE right fender, complete 350 four bolt main engine, instrument panel, good air condition system, & misc chrome pieces. Sold the balance of the parts for $1700, netting $1000 into my pocket.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Yes, CL can be quite good. The most recent deal i did was to buy a '86 K20 4x4 for $700. Kept the OE right fender, complete 350 four bolt main engine, instrument panel, good air condition system, & misc chrome pieces. Sold the balance of the parts for $1700, netting $1000 into my pocket.

That's an excellent idea too and puts money into the build.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All the body shops around here say Goodmark is best. I guess they bought GM's dies.

Note that all aftermarket panels punched since 1992 are galvanized on the back side, like modern car sheet metal, so they will not rust for a very long time if at all. Original panels that are parted out are not galvanized, and will rust out.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
All the body shops around here say Goodmark is best. I guess they bought GM's dies.

Note that all aftermarket panels punched since 1992 are galvanized on the back side, like modern car sheet metal, so they will not rust for a very long time if at all. Original panels that are parted out are not galvanized, and will rust out.

good to know. that would help down the road, especially when this truck will be garaged during the winters. thanks for the input!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
The best bet would to keep an eye out on craigslist. Don't even get me started on fitment issues using aftermarket crap steel parts. Both LMC and Classic buy from the same supplier in China and you'll pay more for a part that will cost more time and frustration then it's worth. Stick with oem whenever possible. I was fortunate enough to have an ample supply of donor trucks and burbs locally for my build back when I started. HELL....I have heard of three people going on a road trip to Az, just to buy up parts vehicles. No rust here...and lots of cabs, doors, and panels still available.

X2 on sourcing through Goodmark...

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The best bet would to keep an eye out on craigslist. Don't even get me started on fitment issues using aftermarket crap steel parts. Both LMC and Classic buy from the same supplier in China and you'll pay more for a part that will cost more time and frustration then it's worth. Stick with oem whenever possible. I was fortunate enough to have an ample supply of donor trucks and burbs locally for my build back when I started. HELL....I have heard of three people going on a road trip to Az, just to buy up parts vehicles. No rust here...and lots of cabs, doors, and panels still available.

X2 on sourcing through Goodmark...

Ive been looking but around here is crap and can't really take a road trip down to AZ at the moment.

Checked Goodmark last night and wow, $190 per fender. Who knows how much shipping will be on those bastards. The site couldn't give me a proper quote. But I do have access to a business address so maybe freight will be cheaper if I use that over my home. LMC is in my backyard and only 25 min drive or so.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
the good thing about LMC and it being local is you can look over your parts before you walk out the door with them so if one is visibly damaged they'll go grab another one. Whereas if you buy one and have it shipped and it arrives with a dent it's a pain to return and get a different fender.

A LOT of good points in this thread and I'm not discounting any of them. Just another "food for thought" point LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man