Which carb would you recommend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
I have a built 383 stroker! And decide I'm just gonna run a carb and see how it goes. The engine has been all rebuilt and it should be making around 300-400hp! I would like to be able to start it during cold conditions with very little problems also! TBI and efi is out of the question right now. What carb would you recommend throwing on this motor?

Current state of the engine!

Attachments

• IMG_8922.jpg
    IMG_8922.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 102

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Can you share more details about what cam and what ignition you plan to run? Looks like you have a single plane square bore intake? With that info it will be easier to decide on a carb. Normally I would say a Q-jet but an Edelbrock would work well if took the time to tune it.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
Can you share more details about what cam and what ignition you plan to run? Looks like you have a single plane square bore intake? With that info it will be easier to decide on a carb. Normally I would say a Q-jet but an Edelbrock would work well if took the time to tune it.

I have not boughten the ignition system but I plan on running all msd componets the box, distributor, and coil. I haven't done much research on the ignition stuff yet sorry about that. But I'm running an enginetech brand cam, with .450 int. Valve lift and .460 ext lift with .224 duration INT and EXH. Cam
Lift is INT .300 and EXH .307! Part number ES1095M

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

I see a spreadbore dual plane :shrug::shrug::shrug:.

For all season driving, My personal vote is a Q-Jet.
I say stay away from edlebrock... others will say stay away from holley.

But I have yet to find an eddie that has kept up with my holley.

Tuning the holley is a bit more complicated, but is ultimately a lot easier than an eddie. Eddies are nice if you want a bling bling engine with lots of chrome, and they are CHEAP.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I have not boughten the ignition system but I plan on running all msd componets the box, distributor, and coil. I haven't done much research on the ignition stuff yet sorry about that. But I'm running an enginetech brand cam, with .450 int. Valve lift and .460 ext lift with .224 duration INT and EXH. Cam
Lift is INT .300 and EXH .307! Part number ES1095M

And that's a pretty mild cam, a nice choked, vacume carb would work perfect.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Tuning the holley is a bit more complicated, but is ultimately a lot easier than an eddie. Eddies are nice if you want a bling bling engine with lots of chrome, and they are CHEAP.

Ah, yes, a closer look and I see the spread bore. *******!
In that case I vote Q-jet.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
And that's a pretty mild cam, a nice choked, vacume carb would work perfect.

Like what? Give me some ideas to look into and ask around. I'm only 18 and this is my first engine build. I know nothing about carbs

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350

Does q-jett make multiple styles of carbs? How do I know what I need?

Last edited:

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350

What q-jet carb would you recommend, I've had some recommend me using the Holley truck avenger 670 cfm with electric choke? Would that work? It is going into a lifted truck

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Like what? Give me some ideas to look into and ask around. I'm only 18 and this is my first engine build. I know nothing about carbs
heres a holley that is a pretty great all around, its a vacume/chocked carb for a little better mpg, and the choke will ease starting(no chock in 10 below isn't fun). https://www.holley.com/products/fue.../avenger/off-road_truck_avenger/parts/0-90670

the offset runners are what gave it away for me
Does q-jett make multiple styles of carbs? Oh do I know what I need?
Theres 3 major Q-jets.
sbc(fuel enters at a 90* and are generally smaller cfm 650ish),bbc(fuel enters straight and are generally greater CFM 850ish),OPBC(olds,pontiac,buick,catilac. They are fed from the front, but are usually the smaller cfm body.)
The Q-jet is almost fully vacume operated, so you will only have the extra flow of fuel when its needed and the carb recognizes it, resulting in better all around MPG, and its choked. Unlike a mechanical carb where it gets the extra fuel no matter what.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
What q-jet carb would you recommend, I've had some recommend me using the Holley truck avenger 670 cfm with electric choke? Would that work? It is going into a lifted truck

lol.... speak of the devil

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
heres a holley that is a pretty great all around, its a vacume/chocked carb for a little better mpg, and the choke will ease starting(no chock in 10 below isn't fun). https://www.holley.com/products/fue.../avenger/off-road_truck_avenger/parts/0-90670

the offset runners are what gave it away for me

Theres 3 major Q-jets.
sbc(fuel enters at a 90* and are generally smaller cfm 650ish),bbc(fuel enters straight and are generally greater CFM 850ish),OPBC(olds,pontiac,buick,catilac. They are fed from the front, but are usually the smaller cfm body.)
The Q-jet is almost fully vacume operated, so you will only have the extra flow of fuel when its needed and the carb recognizes it, resulting in better all around MPG, and its choked. Unlike a mechanical carb where it gets the extra fuel no matter what.

So you would recommend the either the Q-jet or the Holley truck avenger?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
So you would recommend the either the Q-jet or the Holley truck avenger?

I would strongly recommend one or the other, I haven't used that carb first hand, but ive played with older holleys, and they have tweaked and made a better streetable carb with that one.

I would go Q-jet over the holley, but would run both without hesitation

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm pushing twenty, myself. I've only been doing this stuff for a few years, but I've dealt with the Holley and the Quadrajet. I've had a lot of luck with the Q-Jet, and there are unique features that I like about it. Personally, I like that the fuel filter is tucked away in the carb. I like the variable CFM. I was under the impression that most Quadrajets could achieve up to 750 CFM, but a fee BBC ones like off motorhomes and stuff could do 800. Either way, they bring in only what the motor needs. Finally, I think it's more plug and play in some ways. All the cabling, especially, detent/throttle valve will happily snap on without adaptation, and there aren't any spacer adapters or anything like that if your intake is stock or aftermarket spread bore. I think this would work well. I haven't had good luck with Holley carbs, but I know that's a more situational thing, and even then, I'd still buy their stuff if I needed like an intake or something. Just my opinion.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I vote Quadrajet. Surprise!

To chose a Quadrajet, here are some suggestions.
1. I prefer to build Chevy Quadrajets for Chevy engines. Not required, but is a better starting point.
2. Any Quadrajet you chose will need internal modifications to fit well with your 383. Not a big deal, but no out of the box generic would perform well.
3. Do you want a choke? If yes, electric? If yes, then a hot air or electric choke Quadrajet is what you need.
4. All quadrajets are at least 750cfm capable and a few designs were a little over 800 cfm. As mentioned above, they all will only deliver what your engine demands when set up correctly. 750 type would probably be plenty for you.

So I would probably recommend a late 70's Chevy Quadrajet, with front mount vacuum break, and hot air or electric choke. These would have the APT screw that can be modified to be accessible through air horn for better tuning.

I keep hundreds of cores on hand so if you are interested in a custom built Quadrajet, let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy