What of brand of engine oil and oil filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Whatever on sale and an AC Delco filter.

I also run 1/2 quart of ATF, the detergents help keep the engine super clean inside. Seriously, my 163,000 mile 3.8 V6 looks like it has 10,000 miles on it.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Yea thanks to this forum I know better now. The mustang has upper valve train ticking since my last oil change, I've been using fram oil filters on it for years now.

use motorcraft oil and filter and it will stop.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
With Conventional Oil, I use Valvoline, Castrol or Super Tech if my brands aren't on sale anywhere, and I use a $3-$4 Motorcraft filter since its a Purolator Pure One filter $7-$8 filter. And I change that combo every 5000.
If I use Full Synthetic, which I usually do on my newer motors and my box van that has 171,000 miles on it, I use a Mobil 1 or K&N, which ever is cheapest at the time, and I change that every 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. I rarely put 10,000 miles a year on my box van, so it gets an oil change every early spring so its ready for travel at a moments notice since I use it as my RV also to haul my ATV's, camping gear, hunting and fishing gear. That is likely to change though when I get the SB 4x4's running.

The amsoil oil filter is around $15 and then $6 per quart for synthetic oil.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I also run 1/2 quart of ATF, the detergents help keep the engine super clean inside. Seriously, my 163,000 mile 3.8 V6 looks like it has 10,000 miles on it.
I have never heard that before.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Synthetic oil cleans the engine also and would rather use that than putting ATF in my engine.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
$5.99 for one quart of ATF vs. $7.99 each for 5 quarts of synthetic...Gotta watch the dollars these days.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I put Castrol GTX in my trucks and the wife-mobile. I use to use Fram filters all the time but now I just use whatever is on sale which is usually Purolator.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I use Castrol GTX and Purolator filters.Get it free from work :) I use Mobil 1 oil and purolator gold filter for the XB.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have to share this concerning motor oil-

My father in law is over in Peru so he asked if I would get the oil changed in his Shelby GT-500 and his 09 F-250. I took the car to the dealership in Ruidoso but they closed. The last option was to get it changed at wally world. I called and tried to talk him into letting me do it and us AMSOIL or some Royal purple but he TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO WALLY WORLD.

I dropped off a brand new GT 500 for "technicians" at wally world to change the oil in. A couple weeks ago my brother in law was fighting a stripped drain plug in their trailblazer because of wally world "technicians".

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yep I used to be a Wally world tech.I literally quit because everyone else were total morons but thought they were geniuses.And they couldn't balance a wheel to save their life.The manager wasn't any better,he constantly told us he'd spent more time on the ******* than any of us had been alive so we couldn't argue with him.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I have to share this concerning motor oil-

My father in law is over in Peru so he asked if I would get the oil changed in his Shelby GT-500 and his 09 F-250. I took the car to the dealership in Ruidoso but they closed. The last option was to get it changed at wally world. I called and tried to talk him into letting me do it and us AMSOIL or some Royal purple but he TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO WALLY WORLD.

I dropped off a brand new GT 500 for "technicians" at wally world to change the oil in. A couple weeks ago my brother in law was fighting a stripped drain plug in their trailblazer because of wally world "technicians".

I don't trust them. I heard too many bad stories about them here. I also had a bad experience with them. They changed the oil in my 88 f150 I used to and filled it. I checked it when I got and it was one quart low. So I never went back since then.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
A couple weeks ago my brother in law was fighting a stripped drain plug in their trailblazer because of wally world "technicians".
That friggin sucks.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Only reason I EVER go there is because one of my best friends works there and he's a car guy ('67 Firebird 400 convertible, '01 Camaro both with nasty motors) He's the only one that gets to touch my vehicles, the other morons stay away.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Only reason I EVER go there is because one of my best friends works there and he's a car guy ('67 Firebird 400 convertible, '01 Camaro both with nasty motors) He's the only one that gets to touch my vehicles, the other morons stay away.

Walley world is screwed placed full morons anyways. I heard they hire people that have attempt of murder on there criminal record to work there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06