What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well not much square work for me today @Goldie Driver I pulled #7 to check on it this afternoon to find it dang near fouled out, now actually seriously considering doing valve stem seals on the one cylinder. I'm getting to where I have to do something. It's either that or else messing around with an anti-fowler on that cylinder again, which I might do, I have to do something it's just to bad on that cylinder.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Replaced the Ignition Control Module. Again. This time I ordered AC Delco parts, but I am suspecting I have something else causing these things to fail.

I have a new AC Delco distributor cap and rotor on the way but I didn't want to wait. I want to be able to drive the old truck anytime I want and didn't like that it was "broke down".
Waiting to see if I'll need to do the same..lol since I had to do an oil sending unit swap after you

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just out of curiosity how many modules have you been though?
I don't actually know... I have replaced two in about a month.

When I bought the truck the guy told me he was having problems with these modules. He had a brand new one, still in the box from Napa in the toolbox. He said his mechanic had found some wires chewed by rats, had made the repairs and that he thought the problem was gone.

I drove the truck without any issues for several months and then it began bucking, snorting and acting stupid under any acceleration. It progressively got worse and more often over a two week period. Remember, this is not my daily driver.

I have looked pretty hard and I have yet to find ANY wires that look like they have been replaced other than the one going to the O2 sensor. Everything else looks factory original to me.

I have never felt like this motor acted right above midrange, I wonder if the timing is actually advancing like it should. I sort of suspect the advance mechanism in the distributor, which this module controls, may be messed up.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I got 'Puddle Jumper' back!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Only the tach worked in the dash.
Unplugged the cluster connector 3 times and all is happy now, except fuel.
Crawled underneath and, 'Where the ef is the wire?' Found both ends with about 2 feet missing! Fixed that.
Tranny won't kick down. 'Where's the dayum cable?!' Found it behind the engine. I'm leaving that to the mechanic first thing Monday morning!
Got out the shop vac and cleaned out all of the leaves; etc. and 1 wasp nest; and the wasp. He was happy when I let him out of the vacuum. Dizzy, but happy.
The drinking lamp (now that I'm thru driving for the day) is lit. As I will be too very shortly. Woo Hoo!

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Disc brake conversion in progress..driver side is done and breaking for dinner. UPS is running behind on my new Skyjacker leaf springs for the rear and planned on doing them the same time but oh well, first world problems lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_145157.jpg
    IMG_20220430_145157.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220430_145145.jpg
    IMG_20220430_145145.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 48

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Disc brake conversion in progress..driver side is done and breaking for dinner. UPS is running behind on my new Skyjacker leaf springs for the rear and planned on doing them the same time but oh well, first world problems lol
That looks really nize! From where did you get your kit?

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
That looks really nize! From where did you get your kit?
Thank you sir! Lugnut4x4.com great folks to deal with. I was gonna acquire all the parts separately and source from other trucks but for $350 shipped to my door the price was good. In the kit came: conversion brackets, rotors, calipers, pads, axle seals, brake hoses, and hardware.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice work! I was planning that with basically any truck I bought if the rear brakes were questionable. $350 isn't any more $ than it would cost to completely re-do a set of drum brakes on a HD truck, including new drums.
Was fortunate enough that the truck I bought had/has all new brake parts at all 4 wheels including brand spankin new drums, so I'll be packing that extra weight for some time to come I imagine!

(Now if the PO that did the lift and/or the brakes on mine hadn't cheaped out and not gotten extended brake hoses, I wouldn't have to doo that...

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Nice work! I was planning that with basically any truck I bought if the rear brakes were questionable. $350 isn't any more $ than it would cost to completely re-do a set of drum brakes on a HD truck, including new drums.
Was fortunate enough that the truck I bought had/has all new brake parts at all 4 wheels including brand spankin new drums, so I'll be packing that extra weight for some time to come I imagine!

(Now if the PO that did the lift and/or the brakes on mine hadn't cheaped out and not gotten extended brake hoses, I wouldn't have to doo that...
I know it..started adding up new drums, shoe kit, cylinders, seals and quickly got to $300. If the seals hadn't of done the damage they did I would have rebuilt the drums but jumped on the opportunity to convert, was an easy process too.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Once again used it to fetch the crawfish for a little boil. I really enjoy using this old truck to haul stuff, the tailgate seems to be exactly the correct height.

Pop parked his AT4 next to it and the difference in technology is incredible. Pop got me started on Square Body GMCs back in 1977 when he special ordered his. That truck was also a burgundy, although a good bit lighter in color than the new AT4.

Since I am feeling nostalgic, I went Old School for a beverage choice as well.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Bled the brakes today and put some new hard brake lines in the rear with the new disk conversion. Cracked open the front diff and changed the fluid out. Bolted on an Eddy air intake and filter, engine bay is a lot cleaner looking with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_194554.jpg
    IMG_20220430_194554.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 45

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had to replace three of the valve stems on the '88 Suburban. I finally got sick of having to air up the tires every couple of weeks. The stems have leaked since the wheel/tire combo was new.

The beads were on there pretty good. The weight of the truck wasn't enough, had to wiggle the steering back and forth too.

After owning it for over 16 years, it finally gets to be a garage queen. It's a shame it's completely rotten now though.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
pulled my steering box out- blown sector shaft seal.
got a Redhead box on order

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Did you loose the parking brake with that setup?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128