What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info like I said to Nate it's unlikely that I'll be getting on the rain-x plan anytime soon, but I'm always interested. Are you running the rain-x washer fluid as well. Thanks for the chuckle on the "rusty pile" comment... IDK when people started calling them squares I feel as I woke up one day and I was the only guy that didn't know, but that's typical I've never been one for keeping up on what people call different things.
Ya, I'm not even sure I knew that terminology until I started shopping for the blue truck. And that was in 2020, so don't feel bad.
I haven't used the washer fluid.

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never to late, seems like I'm always hanging around. Well I rehabed the wiper linkage and that alone has made such a big difference not hearing the constant squeaking. And the wipers work well otherwise I've got a good motor and great blades. It's unlikely that I'll get on the Rain-x train anytime soon, but I am curious do you run the rain-x washer fluid as well? I have to admit I'm pretty hung up on 20/10 washer fluid, but I can see how the Rain-x products might work best if used together.
You know what, I think I did end up with some. I think I might have bought a few gallons of some winter formula last year cause it was cheaper than Walmart brand. I could be running rain x washer fluid which would make sense to the constant beading action. But to be honest I'm not really sure what's in there. It takes me forever to use the tank in my daily driver. But I usually just buy cheap Walmart fluid. And for all I know as good as I remember that rain x I bought could of been three years ago?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did some more EFE trouble shooting- I am getting ballpark 16 to 18 inches of vacuum on the EFE line with the engine fully warmed up. I experimented with a pair of new vaccuum check valves in lieu of the round 4 ported one - no change.

I am convinced that new(er) TVS is *****.

Really? F-u-b-a-r is focking censored?
:mad:

I also found one of the Auto Thermac hoses I flipped the other day had a split in it causing a mild leak so my efforts were not all in vain.

And, I ordered those 2 TVSs - due in Friday.

I'll play then - unless the shop can take her in tomorrow for the brakes.

Which we tried again to trip the valve and get the light to come on - just ain't happening.
:(

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You know what, I think I did end up with some. I think I might have bought a few gallons of some winter formula last year cause it was cheaper than Walmart brand. I could be running rain x washer fluid which would make sense to the constant beading action. But to be honest I'm not really sure what's in there. It takes me forever to use the tank in my daily driver. But I usually just buy cheap Walmart fluid. And for all I know as good as I remember that rain x I bought could of been three years ago?
I know what you mean on the three year comment. IDK, there is that part of me that wants to try rain-x again, with the washer fluid, just to see but I guess just like my safelite story even though it happened so long ago it just leaves me with a feeling. And I've got a windshield formula I've very happy with, which is quality blades replaced every fall, 20/10 fluid and a clean windshield, I'm a big sprayway fan btw. Thanks again for the info.
Did some more EFE trouble shooting- I am getting ballpark 16 to 18 inches of vacuum on the EFE line with the engine fully warmed up. I experimented with a pair of new vaccuum check valves in lieu of the round 4 ported one - no change.

I am convinced that new(er) TVS is *****.

Really? F-u-b-a-r is focking censored?
:mad:

I also found one of the Auto Thermac hoses I flipped the other day had a split in it causing a mild leak so my efforts were not all in vain.

And, I ordered those 2 TVSs - due in Friday.

I'll play then - unless the shop can take her in tomorrow for the brakes.

Which we tried again to trip the valve and get the light to come on - just ain't happening.
:(
As you know should be no vac at the EFE when warmed up. I don't know what else could be the problem other than the TVS.

MikeGs1982

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/350
Hi Goldie! Just joined a few days ago. My homeowners said I have to either put my 82 in the garage or get it registered. So I’m starting on getting it road worthy again. It’s running poorly now and I’m working through vacuum issues. I haven’t been able to find that thermal sensor that operated the breather butterfly vacuum motor……my is passing vacuum all the time to the butterfly, so it stays shut and pulls heated air in….

Do you know who is the guru on the vacuum system on here? Before I have to spend a day searching… thanks in advance!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hi Goldie! Just joined a few days ago. My homeowners said I have to either put my 82 in the garage or get it registered. So I’m starting on getting it road worthy again. It’s running poorly now and I’m working through vacuum issues. I haven’t been able to find that thermal sensor that operated the breather butterfly vacuum motor……my is passing vacuum all the time to the butterfly, so it stays shut and pulls heated air in….

Do you know who is the guru on the vacuum system on here? Before I have to spend a day searching… thanks in advance!

@SirRobyn0 seems to be pretty sharp.

When you say you can't find the sensor - meaning you cannot find where it is, or where to buy it ?

Where it is on Goldie - and presumably yours - is on the water neck. I have 2 of them - lucky me :anitoof: - and there is one on the water neck for the EFE and one in the intake manifold just to the left of the water neck for the EGR.

Standard Motor Products P/N PVS82 for the EFE , and for me, PVS53 for the EGR based on the port configuration. Yours may be 100% the same, or , maybe not.

I have my EFE line plugged w/ a screw for now, laying up on the valve cover until I get my TVS valve.

This is all band aid stuff as when the motor gets done all this malarkey goes buh bye ! Well, except for the PCV & charcoal cannister.

Best of luck !

MikeGs1982

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/350
@SirRobyn0 seems to be pretty sharp.

When you say you can't find the sensor - meaning you cannot find where it is, or where to buy it ?

Where it is on Goldie - and presumably yours - is on the water neck. I have 2 of them - lucky me :anitoof: - and there is one on the water neck for the EFE and one in the intake manifold just to the left of the water neck for the EGR.

Standard Motor Products P/N PVS82 for the EFE , and for me, PVS53 for the EGR based on the port configuration. Yours may be 100% the same, or , maybe not.

I have my EFE line plugged w/ a screw for now, laying up on the valve cover until I get my TVS valve.

This is all band aid stuff as when the motor gets done all this malarkey goes buh bye ! Well, except for the PCV & charcoal cannister.

Best of luck !
Oh, i should have been more clear. Where to purchase the thermal sensor in the breather.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Havnt really done anything TO the square lately..

But I HAVE aquired some parts for its resto.

"New" doors, New fenders, hood & hinges, bench seat..

I'll be making a trip to get the rest of what I need to do the round eye front end swap in a couple weeks.. gotta get myself a MIG to do the metal work on the cab.. excited for this year.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Just verified with a vacuum gauge that the OE EGR TVS works - yay ! Zero vac at cold start up, even revving it a bit, then let it run for a few minutes and you start getting vacuum to the EGR.

So, the only one to change is the aftermarket Standard Products one on there now for the EFE.

And I did order one of those Snap On sockets - did not know there was a D - I ordered the A which appears to have a smaller hole. Oh, well.

I assume the D is a later revision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1