What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Amazing how something so simple (grille) can absolutely kick your ass.
:buttkick:

Upper center plastic hole is broken on the grille.

2 right side holders broken.

You must be registered for see images attach

These originally had a round plastic head that held them in the rectangular slot of the core support.

Neither Vato Zone nor OReally had them - can't tell what LMC has but it sure looks like the square ones that get used only for the center 2 screws.

So, compliments of silicone and a washer, the upper center is halfway attached, the lower center is, and the 2 outer uppers are.

But - the brown painted bars are aligned.

If I had a go back in time button I think I would have left it alone...

:confused:

That button would have come in handy throughout my life ...

:dogpile:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My 87 is pretty much all original. Everything works, mostly, but its all OLD. Been replacing stuff as I can afford to. I have a few vehicles I'm always having to work on so I have to divide the time and money up between them all.
I've done the throttle body, o2 sensor, spark plugs, brake circuit from booster to the prop valve, clutch slave and line, and lots more.
The brake stuff and o2/plugs were last week. I've got a new throttle cable ordered at the local parts store. Picking it up this am and hopefully get it on this afternoon.
Anything special I should know or is it pretty straightforward? Looks pretty simple.

IAT Sensor. It's in the air intake.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Amazing how something so simple (grille) can absolutely kick your ass.
:buttkick:

Upper center plastic hole is broken on the grille.

2 right side holders broken.

These originally had a round plastic head that held them in the rectangular slot of the core support.

Neither Vato Zone nor OReally had them - can't tell what LMC has but it sure looks like the square ones that get used only for the center 2 screws.

So, compliments of silicone and a washer, the upper center is halfway attached, the lower center is, and the 2 outer uppers are.

But - the brown painted bars are aligned.

If I had a go back in time button I think I would have left it alone...

:confused:

That button would have come in handy throughout my life ...

:dogpile:

Check out Fastenal Automotive fasteners.
https://www.digiedition.fastenal.com/OtherFlyers/BigBluev11/#/

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I locked my keys in my 86 once at a car show. These two cats come by and claim they can get in, no problem. They took the wire off their master cylinder that holds the cover on and and proceeded to insert it in the back lower corner of the vent window, hook the lever, pull it out which pushed the lock button in and then just twisted it to unlock the vent window. I’m sure they were pros if you know what I’m saying? I had to do it one other time and it worked perfectly.
youtube it! lol

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
IAT Sensor. It's in the air intake.

I don't have much of an intake. I have the metal air filter holder and no snorkel or anything else. Heat risers were deleted before I got it. Where do I look for the IAT?

I replaced the thermostat and gasket today. Takin a break then gonna change the oil and replace a missing oil pan bolt.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Weather was nice, ground was dry enough to put some cardboard down so I finally installed new KYB's on the corners yesterday! First new shocks in about 35 years. No test drive yet. I'm sore as all get-out but it was FUN and it felt good.
Unfortunately I found that I have to remove the hood, fenders, wheel liners to align the doors.
And rain in the forecast every day this week. Chippin' away at the stone!
I put new ones on my square a few months back. Wow what a difference! I have had it 15 years and the same shocks on it that whole time. They were maybe 5 years old ish prior to that and cheap Gabriel ones. Wow what a difference from those 20 ish year old ones!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver I bought a huge bag of fasteners off Amazon for automobiles. I was thinking I might have found one that I used on mine? But I was thinking it was a square one? Maybe those middles I had enough half decent ones from junk yard and mine to work?

If you want I will look to see what I may have. If I have something I'd be glad to send it to you.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I don't have much of an intake. I have the metal air filter holder and no snorkel or anything else. Heat risers were deleted before I got it. Where do I look for the IAT?

I replaced the thermostat and gasket today. Takin a break then gonna change the oil and replace a missing oil pan bolt.

It should be screwed into the filter housing and have 1 if not 2 wires coming from it.
My bad: Intake Air Temperature sensor. Your '87 may not have one.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
It should be screwed into the filter housing and have 1 if not 2 wires coming from it.
My bad: Intake Air Temperature sensor. Your '87 may not have one.
My 87 with a 305 doesn't have any sensors upstream the throttle body and it's still all factory from the radiator support to the air cleaner housing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver I bought a huge bag of fasteners off Amazon for automobiles. I was thinking I might have found one that I used on mine? But I was thinking it was a square one? Maybe those middles I had enough half decent ones from junk yard and mine to work?

If you want I will look to see what I may have. If I have something I'd be glad to send it to you.

I'd love to see what your grab bag contains. :)

I bought an assortment of random ones tonight at Advance thinking kind of the same - maybe I can find 2 that will work.

The help section has a **** ton of fasteners, but nothing like what I have.

Of course!

Its "classic ".

:p

Post some pics of the stranger looking round and rectangular ones, please.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd love to see what your grab bag contains. :)

I bought an assortment of random ones tonight at Advance thinking kind of the same - maybe I can find 2 that will work.

The help section has a **** ton of fasteners, but nothing like what I have.

Of course!

Its "classic ".

:p

Post some pics of the stranger looking round and rectangular ones, please.
This is an overall pic of the bags contents. The smaller bag I bought at an earlier time to get those Toyota panel clips before I bought this bag. The smaller bag with white in it is Chevy era fasners for bumpers and grills etc used on many models. I bought those separate. I also have a random black push fastener bag I bought before the bag that I forgot about that has various push fasteners in it, but nothing like what your looking for. Many of those are in this bag already.

The bag was cheap it was probably what two or three little packages of fasteners coat at like advanced Auto.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Decarboned the plugs, back to running on 8 instead of maybe 6.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Drove it to work and back. But this weekend I did new headlight adjusters on all 4 (I can see again!!), new door lock cylinders and keys and messed with the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad