What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I changed the fluids in the rear diff today. Unfortunately there was metal pieces on the magnet, and a lot of sludge in the bottom of the housing. Upon further inspection I found three splines that were missing pieces. Cleaned everything, installed the new Lubelocker gasket, painted and installed the cover. I went ahead and put 4 oz's of friction modifier in before the gear oil. Maybe it will extend the life if the splines a little longer. I only put about 200-300 miles on my trucks a year so it should be ok for a while.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is yours a limited slip? Not that it matters much.

I did a lot of work on my 14-bolt SF, since it had pretty much self destructed. After putting all the pieces back together I installed synthetic gear oil and it's been fine for over 100K miles since. I should mention that my ring and pinion were okay. It was just everything else that was junk.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I don't know if it is limited slip or not. I know friction modifier can be used on limited slip (my Jeep) and Positrac. If it's neither then there's no harm. It's basically a fluid that makes things "slipperier". I don't go off road, and if road conditions are bad, I take my Jeep.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I changed the fluids in the rear diff today. Unfortunately there was metal pieces on the magnet, and a lot of sludge in the bottom of the housing. Upon further inspection I found three splines that were missing pieces. Cleaned everything, installed the new Lubelocker gasket, painted and installed the cover. I went ahead and put 4 oz's of friction modifier in before the gear oil. Maybe it will extend the life if the splines a little longer. I only put about 200-300 miles on my trucks a year so it should be ok for a while.

Just so you know, the picture you posted of the ring gear is showing the coast side of the gear, not the drive side. The drive side is the important side of the ring gear teeth.

I have seen this ring gear side posted in these forums many times showing the pattern after reassembly. Sometimes 3 or 4 pictures of the coast side and just 1 picture of the drive side. I am posting here for you and everyone who is new to a final drive axle.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Thanks turbo4whl. The three splines I saw damage on were on the coast side towards the heel. Any idea what the most common cause of damage in that location is?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks turbo4whl. The three splines I saw damage on were on the coast side towards the heel. Any idea what the most common cause of damage in that location is?

Extreme load while in reverse gear, such as pulling a stuck vehicle out of the mud. Always, if possible, pull any major load in forward gear. Or maybe backing up a hill with a full load in the bed of your truck.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

That's better then mine was. Lol

So I put this in

No telling how long I drove it like that. You're probably good for a while with yours. I can't seem to keep my foot out of it. Lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damage to the pinion gear at all? Something must have come loose and bounced around in there for a bit.

Bucket, I don't know. The only thing to come out were the 3 very small pieces of metal. Nothing else was seen. Next Spring I'll probably dig into it deeper, unless something comes apart.

That's better then mine was. Lol

So I put this in

No telling how long I drove it like that. You're probably good for a while with yours. I can't seem to keep my foot out of it. Lol

Yup spider gears are the usual weak link that start to grenade. If you have a posi rear it's hard to see any damage on them during a fluid change/inspection. If you find metal in the case highly likely that is where it is coming from. You may also see see light "sandblast" damage to the inside of the diff cover from the ring gear wash slinging fragments into it. Just went through this with mine last winter.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I'm on the final lap now. I pulled the valve covers and gaskets.Wow, were they bad !!! The gasket on the passenger side wasn't even sealing at the bottom above the exhaust manifold. No wonder I was seeing smoke after the engine had been running for a few minutes. I went with cheap chrome covers and expensive gaskets. After the engine had warmed up I had no more smoke. The chrome covers don't look very shiny because rain clouds were overhead. In person they look great, and I don't have to look at that tall oil fill tube anymore. Oh, and a new EGR valve too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
This kinda ties into the what new tools thread and this one. I bought this lil portable jump pack on sale for nearly half off at walmart. 1k amps so basically the same as the dead battery in my square.... i charged it up last night and gave it a try today on my COMPLETELY stone dead battery, i almost dropped a brown brick when it fired it right up with little effort! Im super shocked!!

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Picked my truck up today and tried to beat the weather out of town.....guess what I did NOT do. However, I had a plan to deal with not having any hvac hooked up. Pulled a page from the Vice Grip Garage playbook and grabbed my buddy heater and a blowtorch, rags and some rain-x sprays in all flavors. Away we went.

Let me tell ya fellas, that ole boy has some stones. I picked my truck up from a SHOP and knew it was G2G, but still had to shut down halfway home for safety. He's jumping in a complete unsub with minimal shakedown and lighting out. Me not being able to see, combined with high wind and a roadbed thats seeing its first rain in months - making it slicker than snot and I called it. I'm now holed up in a cheap motel with some tacos and a Reeses sticks contemplating my life choices.

On the plus side, most of my new cluster works. :33: I have to get some of the bulbs to kick on but I have temp, fuel, oil pressure and charging for the first time since I've owned it. Speedo is bouncy but functional. Will hook the tach up over winter. It's going to be a long row to hoe this winter...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Glad to hear @SirRobyn0 got ‘er runnin like a top for you.
Ifn I was you I’d get over Stevens sooner than later before you end up driving around due to mudslides or snow. Since she don’t look like a mudder or a Snomobile!
On the bouncy fuel gauge I read it’s a resistor or lack of that causes that. Both my gauges read perfectly except they also move constantly with the gas sloshing in the tank.
I believe it’s a thread in here. And the part is available.
On my list but even with the 86 being basically “done” there’s still a lot of items ahead of that.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I started up the truck today and adjusted the electric choke and curb idle speed. I took it out for a drive and it ran good. I was also able to confirm that the new EGR valve eliminated the backfire issue during deceleration. I did notice while standing next to the truck, while it was sitting at idle, that the exhaust gas was smelling rich. Next up is learning how to adjust the mixture screws I guess. While working on it a young man and his wife came by to see if I was interested in selling my '77 C10. I showed them the truck and showed them the few things that needed addressed. They're going to talk it over and make me an offer if they want it.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Fixed the wiring to tail lights on the bed. Also installed these window vent shades that I’d never install on a nice truck because of drilling holes in the door. But on this old blister with aftermarket doors, I had no regrets. Think it looks the part with them on for sure.

Ben

Attachments

• F9C1C872-6DD3-4130-8939-7774D2BA45AB.jpeg
    F9C1C872-6DD3-4130-8939-7774D2BA45AB.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 37
  • E8412013-1874-421B-A448-40DE41B82821.jpeg
    E8412013-1874-421B-A448-40DE41B82821.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 35

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Fixed the wiring to tail lights on the bed. Also installed these window vent shades that I’d never install on a nice truck because of drilling holes in the door. But on this old blister with aftermarket doors, I had no regrets. Think it looks the part with them on for sure.

Ben
Those same ones came on my 78 when i bought it. I love them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zippo854