What are your emmissions testing laws in your state?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's great info there Jerry. Especially the lower portion explaining the CO, HC and NOX, what cuases them to get high etc. I say everything is right on target according to what I know, and some of it even refreshed my memory since it's been so long now since I tested cars. In CA, all that was measured was CO and HC. Most people didn't even know what NOX is/was. NOX has been a battle in CA since early 70's and even required cars 66 and later to be retrofitted with a NOX device. If you've heard of NOX bumps in heads, this started in the late 60's and some manufactuers even earlier than that anticipating it happening and coming a federal gubment requirment. Good news is, for those heads that have it, it can be grinded out and really increases flow tremendously. The only other things I did not see on that least was High HC,s. In a very hi HC condition you can also have a lean misfire in the combustion cycle. I guess maybe they considered that covered in air/fuel mixture.

A GOOD smog tech can usually tell exactly what makes emissions fail by looking at all readings. For example, if you have a very hi HC, extremely low CO, that means this, both being hi mean this, hi HC but with normal CO and low of high o2 means something different. Then of course you also have the Very Low HC, and low CO which you think is good right? Well yeah that's all good but if the o2 is to high then the tech knows to start looking for exhaust leaks, holes in mufflers etc and equipment today is smart enough to detect this and wll fail you anyway for o2 saturation even though the HC and CO are all good.

Not evey county in AZ requires emissions testing right? I sure hope not. I want to move there someday but I damn sure don't want to deal with emissions ******** cuz I want to be able to run big cams and big performance etc. Big Cams are dirty dirty dirty. Way Way high in HC's. Just about raw gas coming out the tailpipe at idle.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Not evey county in AZ requires emissions testing right? I sure hope not. I want to move there someday but I damn sure don't want to deal with emissions ******** cuz I want to be able to run big cams and big performance etc.

As far as I know, just Maricopa Co (Phoenix Metro) and Pima Co (Tucson Metro). Even at that, I believe Pima Co is a tad more relaxed.

I think its just about $30 for Maricopa and $20 for Pima, per year.

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/tested.html

Like I said, never had to do it before, Im due mid Dec :bawl:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't care about the cost, I'm more worried about passing. But NO, I will not be in big city AZ. I'd be like in Kingam, Golden Valley or Bullhead City. Maybe closer to Havasu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade