What are your emmissions testing laws in your state?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Look at this phuckin ********. You car got to be 38 years old (pre-1975) or under 5K miles a year in PA. DROP DEAD YOU PHUKIN THIEVES. :flipthebird:

VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

A car, van, truck or light-duty truck (9000lbs or lighter) requires an emissions test when:

- It is a 1975 model or newer.
- It is registered in the counties of Allegheny, Beaver, Berks, Blair, Bucks, Cambria, Centre, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Erie, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, Mercer, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Washington, Westmoreland and York.

EXEMPTIONS:
A vehicle is exempt from emissions testing when:

- It is a motorcycle.
- It is a vehicle owned for a year and more and has driven less than 5000 miles in the year before the inspection.
- It is a new vehicle and has driven less than 5000 miles.
- Registered antique, collectible or classic vehicles.
- Registered street rods.

EMISSIONS TEST FAILURES
In case your vehicle fails the emission test, all expenses that will accrue from making the vehicle road-worthy will have to be borne by you. It must then be retested, which if undertaken within 30 days of the first test, will be free of charge. If the vehicle fails the test again, you could receive a one year waiver if proof of spending over $150 in repairs is submitted. This can only be done by a PennDOT Authorized Emissions Inspection Station.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

If you happen to be out of state for over 30 days after the expiration of your vehicle's emission sticker, you will have to retest your vehicle within 10 days of return to the state. It would be advisable to carry proof of having been out of state for the period of time claimed by you.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?
All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection; however, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

ASM Emissions Test
What is ASM2 and how does it work?
This test uses a dynamometer, which measures emissions under simulated driving conditions. In a sense, it's like a treadmill stress test for your vehicle. This tailpipe test is a cost-effective way to get very accurate, realistic results. A vehicle will fail the test if there is an excessive amount of Hydrocarbon, Carbon Monoxide or Oxides of Nitrogen.

Please note that 4 wheel drive vehicles will continue to receive the current Two-Speed Idle test. If your vehicle fails the ASM test, you can return to the same public inspection station within 15 days of your initial test for a free retest.

Two Speed Idle Test
The Two-Speed Idle test is a tailpipe emissions test. This means the analyzer measures exhaust emissions directly from the vehicle's tailpipe with the engine idling at a high and then low speed. TSI measures most of the common factors contributing to the formation of lung damaging ground level ozone.

A vehicle will fail the test if there are excessive amounts of hydrocarbons or carbon monoxide. TSI is used for older vehicles that are not equipped with the advanced on-board diagnostic computer system.

A Few Reasons Why A Vehicle May Fail the ASM2 Test

Excessive Hydrocarbons (HC):
High hydrocarbon emissions result when fuel in the engine does not burn completely. HC in the presence of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and sunlight may form ground-level ozone, a major component of urban smog. Check the following:
Internal Engine Problems
Faulty Air Pump
Ignition System
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)
Catalytic Converter
Gas Cap
Excessive Carbon Monoxide (CO):
A rich fuel mixture can cause high amounts of carbon monoxide, which can occur when there is too much or too little air reaching the combustion chamber. Check the following:
Misadjusted Carburetor
Faulty Fuel Injection System
Worn Rings/Valve Guides
Air Pump System
Excessive Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx):
High NOx can occur when there is excessive temperature in the combustion chamber or a damaged catalytic converter.
Check the following:
Air Injection System
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)
Combustion Chamber Deposits
Oxygen Sensor
Catalytic Converter
Diagnostics for NOx failures

OVERALL
Check for causes of high combustion temperatures. Primary systems that affect NOx include:
Mixture control (lean)
EGR
Ignition
Check Catalytic Converter
1981-86
Check the following:
O2 sensor (The signal from the O2 Sensor provides a wealth of information on how the vehicle is running.)
EGR valve and EGR hose
Ignition timing and system (advanced timing and ignition components are some of the most common problems)
Vacuum lines (deterioration of vacuum lines, inlet manifold seals become more prevalent causes with age)
Catalytic converter
Primary feedback sensor failure, including oxygen sensor, MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors
1987-95
Check the following:
Use OBD, if available
O2 sensor
EGR valve and EGR hose
Ignition timing and system (advanced timing and ignition components are some of the most common problems)
Primary feedback sensor failure including, oxygen sensor, MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors<
Vacuum lines
Catalytic converter
Diagnostics for HC failures

OVERALL
Check for cause of rich mixture, e.g. Oxygen Sensor
Check carburetor if equipped
Check lines and hoses
Check catalytic converter
1981-86
Check the following:
Carburetor
O2 sensor
Catalytic converter
Vacuum lines (deterioration of vacuum lines, inlet manifold seals become more prevalent causes with age)
Primary feedback sensor failure including MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors
1987-95
Check the following:
Use OBD, if available
O2 sensor
Ignition timing (advanced timing and ignition components are some of the most common problems)
Catalytic converter
Primary feedback sensor failure including MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors.
Diagnostics for CO failures

OVERALL
Check for cause of rich mixture, e.g. Oxygen Sensor
Check carburetor if equipped
Check lines and hoses
Check catalytic converter
1981-86
Check the following:

Carburetor
O2 sensor
Catalytic converter
1987-95
Check the following:

Use OBD, if available
O2 sensor
Fuel Injectors/Carburetors

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Keeping my KS tags for sure!!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I should change my front clip and vin #'s. :lazer:

No, you should register it as an antique and be done :deal: I'm surprised you don't meet the under 5k miles rule anyway as little as you drive.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I don't think we have any emissions testing. I definitely don't on the '77!! :D

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
No, you should register it as an antique and be done :deal: I'm surprised you don't meet the under 5k miles rule anyway as little as you drive.

I can only drive it one day a week registered as an antique. :roflbow:

Last year I was under 5K so it was exempt. I am right on the line with that. Regardless, it still needs a visual inspection for the parts.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I can only drive it one day a week registered as an antique. :roflbow:

does your state actively check antique vehicles to make sure they are abiding by every rule? Missouri doesn't. You get tagged and you may never be checked again :shrug:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I'm surprised you don't meet the under 5k miles rule anyway as little as you drive.

It b a loooonnngggg way to Texas to chase Retro around the room:roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
does your state actively check antique vehicles to make sure they are abiding by every rule? Missouri doesn't. You get tagged and you may never be checked again :shrug:

I have heard stories about local cops that see you DD with an antique tag they will ticket you. All the cops at the boat ramp know my truck well, they see it every day. :roflbow:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I have heard stories about local cops that see you DD with an antique tag they will ticket you. All the cops at the boat ramp know my truck well, they see it every day. :roflbow:

Then they should be cool with looking the other way for you :deal:

:roflbow: just deliver them some :favorites25: and a box of doughnuts :D

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
none here in Indiana as of yet. Just unhook your odometer, Duh prove how many miles I drive a year.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
none here in Indiana as of yet. Just unhook your odometer, Duh prove how many miles I drive a year.

Unfortunately the speed sensor is in the speedometer and needs the cable connected to get a reading off the spinner. I can pull apart the gauge and remove a gear to keep the clocker from adding miles, just a pain in the ass to take apart and put back together. I have done it though.
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69