What’s IT Worth? (Post all “what’s it worth threads here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shinkle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thinking about selling my 87 R10 long bed 2wd in AL. Highly original. My family bought it from the original owner's 92 year old farmer estate sale. Local AL truck with 110,000 miles. I've owned about 4 years and put about 8,000 miles on it. Straight truck with no rust. Great interior. 5.8L TBI. Electric windows and door lock, digital stereo with cassette, carpet door panels. Truck runs and shifts great. Original owner local paperwork and key chain from local dealer. This is what I've done to the truck:
- Complete new air conditioning system
- New tires
- New shocks, belts, hoses, battery, thermostat, carpet, new exhaust system including cat from header back

Known issues:
- Dual tank but only one tank works. Needs sending unit in second tank
- Small oil leak
- Blue puff smoke every once in a while on cold start up
- Paint clear coat on hood, cab, side is gone, but it looks cool
- Crack in middle of dash

WHATS IT WORTH ?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    915.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    846.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 41

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
It’s what it’s worth to you! Would you trade for a new Silverado, I wouldn’t. A new Silverado goes for over 50 grand, so……. I guess thats at least what it’s worth.
Thats also the “Not for Sale Price!”
KEEP IT, IT WILL ALWAYS BE A TANGIBLE PIECE

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thinking about selling my 87 R10 long bed 2wd in AL. Highly original. My family bought it from the original owner's 92 year old farmer estate sale. Local AL truck with 110,000 miles. I've owned about 4 years and put about 8,000 miles on it. Straight truck with no rust. Great interior. 5.8L TBI. Electric windows and door lock, digital stereo with cassette, carpet door panels. Truck runs and shifts great. Original owner local paperwork and key chain from local dealer. This is what I've done to the truck:
- New tires
- New shocks, belts, hoses, battery, thermostat, carpet, new exhaust system including cat from header back

Known issues:
- Small oil leak

WHATS IT WORTH ?
Maybe $7-8k to the right buyer. Based on how clean it is.

The truck is very nice, but needing paint job kills the value.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@shinkle I love the oem rough paint job! I’d pay 12k for that
I too appreciate an original paint and disagree with @Grit dog on the point about the paint. Not saying he’s wrong, but I prefer seeing original paint over a new paint job. I don’t care for new paint and place no value on it when looking at old vehicles. What new paint actually does, is make me wonder what they’re hiding. Then I want to get the magnet out and start knocking about on the entire vehicle. Whereas, original paint is honest—if you can, in fact, determine it is original and now just a really old respray.

@shinkle ‘s truck looks to be a very nice, solid truck that most of us would be happy to have, regardless of the fun I had about the 5.8L.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
- New tires

Known issues:
- Small oil leak

WHATS IT WORTH ?
Well it's a decent truck. The worth if you are just asking it's worth, no sentimental value! @Grit dog is pretty on the money. It has a lot going for it, and it has somethings that hurt it.

First thing not many people care about who has owned in the past anymore.
Second it's a 2wd longbed, everyone that is in the market to buy a Squarebody wants a shortbed, I'm sure you know this.
Third the paint all thou it's original most people that are going to pay top dollar is not going to want to buy it, than turn around and spend 10k on a paint job.
Forth it being all stock that appeals to some people, and some would turn their nose up at it.
Fifth you are in a country state most people looking to buy a truck they will have to fix up wants a 4x4.
Sixth It does seem like it has a nice interior, the dash pad will ding you a few hundred bucks.
Seventh You will have people come over and look at it that will pi$$ you off so bad you want to shot them. They will tell you everything that is wrong with it so they can get it cheaper.

My advice if you can keep it... is keep it. Enjoy the hell out of it, and pass it to one of your kids, or a family member that understands what it is. If you are in need of selling it, sell it up in the N.E. They don't have rust free Squarebodies up there. They pay top dollar for them, and you tell them they arrange the shipping for it. If someone in the N.E. buys it tell them you want half to hold it, and put a time frame on it. Don't give them six months to hold it. The other half when they want to pick it up. If they have a haul company come get it, make sure you have your money before it leaves you.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I too appreciate an original paint and disagree with @Grit dog on the point about the paint. Not saying he’s wrong, but I prefer seeing original paint over a new paint job. I don’t care for new paint and place no value on it when looking at old vehicles. What new paint actually does, is make me wonder what they’re hiding. Then I want to get the magnet out and start knocking about on the entire vehicle. Whereas, original paint is honest—if you can, in fact, determine it is original and now just a really old respray.

@shinkle ‘s truck looks to be a very nice, solid truck that most of us would be happy to have, regardless of the fun I had about the 5.8L.
I agree totally, if one is buying a project/builder, seeing only original paint or what’s left of it is a huge plus.
But it’s only going to net you a little more money than something that still needs paint even though it may have been repainted previously, and a heck of a lot less than a truck with a good new(er) paint job.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree totally, if one is buying a project/builder, seeing only original paint or what’s left of it is a huge plus.
But it’s only going to net you a little more money than something that still needs paint even though it may have been repainted previously, and a heck of a lot less than a truck with a good new(er) paint job.

It all depends. Most trucks with shiny new paint that pictures well, don't actually have nice paint. Sure, there's trucks that actually DO have really nice paint and bodywork, but they tend to be show trucks and demand 30, 40, 50K or more. But all (well, most) the other trucks can be picked apart, all over the body. If you want to fix it all and have actually nice paint, you are looking at redoing the whole truck usually, and then you uncover all the crap that the PO or hired shop did to it. Why pay more for a truck with newer paint if you won't be happy with it and end up repainting it anyway?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It all depends. Most trucks with shiny new paint that pictures well, don't actually have nice paint. Sure, there's trucks that actually DO have really nice paint and bodywork, but they tend to be show trucks and demand 30, 40, 50K or more. But all (well, most) the other trucks can be picked apart, all over the body. If you want to fix it all and have actually nice paint, you are looking at redoing the whole truck usually, and then you uncover all the crap that the PO or hired shop did to it. Why pay more for a truck with newer paint if you won't be happy with it and end up repainting it anyway?
^^^^THIS^^^

I mean, look at what @CalSgt is doing to his truck.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
^^^^THIS^^^

I mean, look at what @CalSgt is doing to his truck.
Boy oh boy, thanks for the compliment…

My truck was a mess when I got it in ‘96, and trashed again when I started it this time.

If I would’ve started with one this clean I would’ve D/A’d it down, primed, blocked it out with 400, primed, blocked with 600 and squirted it with factory matching colors. I would have left everything else factory original. This truck looks like an absolute gem to me.

shinkle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Well it's a decent truck. The worth if you are just asking it's worth, no sentimental value! @Grit dog is pretty on the money. It has a lot going for it, and it has somethings that hurt it.

First thing not many people care about who has owned in the past anymore.
Second it's a 2wd longbed, everyone that is in the market to buy a Squarebody wants a shortbed, I'm sure you know this.
Third the paint all thou it's original most people that are going to pay top dollar is not going to want to buy it, than turn around and spend 10k on a paint job.
Forth it being all stock that appeals to some people, and some would turn their nose up at it.
Fifth you are in a country state most people looking to buy a truck they will have to fix up wants a 4x4.
Sixth It does seem like it has a nice interior, the dash pad will ding you a few hundred bucks.
Seventh You will have people come over and look at it that will pi$$ you off so bad you want to shot them. They will tell you everything that is wrong with it so they can get it cheaper.

My advice if you can keep it... is keep it. Enjoy the hell out of it, and pass it to one of your kids, or a family member that understands what it is. If you are in need of selling it, sell it up in the N.E. They don't have rust free Squarebodies up there. They pay top dollar for them, and you tell them they arrange the shipping for it. If someone in the N.E. buys it tell them you want half to hold it, and put a time frame on it. Don't give them six months to hold it. The other half when they want to pick it up. If they have a haul company come get it, make sure you have your money before it leaves you.
Thanks for the input. I've definitely thought about keeping it. Its just a great running fun truck to drive, go fishing, hunting, haul stuff around. The interior is really nice and its straight and rust free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64