What’s IT Worth? (Post all “what’s it worth threads here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know a ballpark value, other than "not enough". The medium duty rigs seem to ALWAYS go for a fraction of the price of the lighter trucks, no matter the location. Midwest farmers literally scrap them just because they have been sitting for a few years and they don't want to put a battery in them. It's a damn shame.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
We've been storing our old '68 C50 winch truck in the shed for the past 3 years, but have decided to sell it. Fired right up this evening, so I brought it back to the shop. No brakes though, so we have to look into that....350 SBC with less than 10,000 miles on it, 5 speed and pto driven winch with gin poles to lift whatever heavy thing you want. 141,000 miles on the truck. What do you guys think it would be worth? Cab has the typical rust for these trucks and the paint is pretty bad, especially on the driver's door. Wood needs to be replaced on the flat bed too.

You must be registered for see images attach
Here in East Texas, a winch truck like that would go for around 8-10K. They are still used for oil pump motor replacement, and oil field odd jobs. The company I worked for years ago had an 81. My boss sold it to one of our welders for 6k and it needed a boat load of work.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here in East Texas, a winch truck like that would go for around 8-10K. They are still used for oil pump motor replacement, and oil field odd jobs. The company I worked for years ago had an 81. My boss sold it to one of our welders for 6k and it needed a boat load of work.
Yeah, this truck has spent its whole life in the oilfields up here. There are very few winch trucks with poles left around here. Most roustabout companies use either loaders or cranes now days to do what these winch trucks used to do. We used to use this truck to set pumping units and tank batteries. I think the last winch job it did was moving a big Continental gas engine off a pumping unit in order to put an electric motor in its place. My uncle said that back in the '70's, they often would have 4 guys stand on the front bumper to keep the front end down when they were lifting stuff too heavy for the truck.

Speaking of lifting stuff too heavy at some point....the truck was hemorrhaging brake fluid so upon investigating, we found evidence of said "too heavy lifting" back in the day! Repair work is underway....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here’s one. Won’t say what he’s asking but here’s the stats.
Original verified 51k miles ‘78 Heavy Half. Current owner bought it from the original owners widow recently. Comes with build sheet, all original dealer paperwork maint records etc. All the “original” paperwork looks like new including the sales receipt from the dealer in 1978. ($6700 exactly in 1978…)
All original except the Ford mirrors, lol and a big ole winch the original owner put on the front. (Would go nicely on the blue truck…). And I’m not sure if 78 models still came with the old style hubcaps like are on it. But regardless they are also supposedly mint.
Original paint with light use scratches and dings. Said the worst dings are in that picture on the top of bed and back of cab.
Truck is base model, 350/350, no AC tilt cruise and roll yer own windows.
Interior is supposedly even cleaner than the pic. Supposedly never stored in the sun for long periods in 45 years.
Runs drives, fluids changed and minor work done to make it driveable. Sitting on 30 year old tires that are rollers only.

What’s it worth? Need a gut check from the GMSB brain trust here. It’s not a steal but seems well below the high end prices for very similar original trucks on BaT. I’m considering purchasing it.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Okay I have a question. My technician is looking to part with his (yes, I know it's not a squarebody) '93 Crew Cab Dually. The truck is mostly immaculate except the clear coat is starting to come off the tops of the bed rails, and the wheel flares. There is one small dent in the top edge of the tailgate.

The truck has less than 15K miles on it. Unfortunately it's powered by a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. However, it's a mechanical injection system, not the dreaded DS injection pump. These are older photos, but the guy is very particular about his equipment. So other than the aforementioned paint and dent issues the truck still looks quite good.

What's it worth?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, that's a nice truck. Would leave as is (maybe not the mirrors)
May go look at it this weekend.
The mirrors suck but not sure which is worse. Decent Frod mirrors or 4 holes in each door…

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Original verified 51k miles ‘78 Heavy Half. Current owner bought it from the original owners widow recently. Comes with build sheet, all original dealer paperwork maint records etc. All the “original” paperwork looks like new including the sales receipt from the dealer in 1978. ($6700 exactly in 1978…)
All original except the Ford mirrors, lol and a big ole winch the original owner put on the front. (Would go nicely on the blue truck…). And I’m not sure if 78 models still came with the old style hubcaps like are on it. But regardless they are also supposedly mint.
Original paint with light use scratches and dings. Said the worst dings are in that picture on the top of bed and back of cab.
Interior is supposedly even cleaner than the pic. Supposedly never stored in the sun for long periods in 45 years.
Runs drives, fluids changed and minor work done to make it driveable. Sitting on 30 year old tires that are rollers only.

What’s it worth? Need a gut check from the GMSB brain trust here. It’s not a steal but seems well below the high end prices for very similar original trucks on BaT. I’m considering purchasing it.
If it were mine I wouldn't want to sell it, so I would put a higher price on it, like 15k. Then again that is low now thanks to auctions. Cool truck

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Okay I have a question. My technician is looking to part with his (yes, I know it's not a squarebody) '93 Crew Cab Dually. The truck is mostly immaculate except the clear coat is starting to come off the tops of the bed rails, and the wheel flares. There is one small dent in the top edge of the tailgate.

The truck has less than 15K miles on it. Unfortunately it's powered by a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. However, it's a mechanical injection system, not the dreaded DS injection pump. These are older photos, but the guy is very particular about his equipment. So other than the aforementioned paint and dent issues the truck still looks quite good.

What's it worth?

Not square but still a looker in my book! I feel these were the LAST of the good chevy trucks! Id buy it.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Not square but still a looker in my book! I feel these were the LAST of the good chevy trucks! Id buy it.

Okay. But how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Im a cheap a$s so.... id say id be comfortable at 5k and under. In todays world that might be impossible.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

What do you think a fair market value would be?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

What do you think a fair market value would be?
If the mileage really is that low and the interior is as clean as the exterior, in todays market it would not at all be unreasonable to ask 12 for that. I sure as sh!t wouldn't pay for it, but seems par for the course these days

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I agree, niche buyer. A low mileage gmt400 K2500 burb with a 6.5 would be of interest to me. Decent fuel economy 8 passenger 4x4, yes please. I’d 6bt and SAS before too long I’m sure.

However, a dually 2wd 3+3 pickup is an interesting combo. It can’t tow much, though it’s payload may be respectable for the era. And one would think being a dually, the efficiency benefits will be diminished.

Super clean though and I think RecklessWOT is pretty close. Current interest rates kind of kill it for non-cash buyers. Anything more than 10 years old, is already more expensive to finance typically.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Here is a new 25 with those caps. Are the wheels six or eight lug, or only five?

The company always took file pictures before a new truck went into service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019