What’s IT Worth? (Post all “what’s it worth threads here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Here’s one. Won’t say what he’s asking but here’s the stats.
Original verified 51k miles ‘78 Heavy Half. Current owner bought it from the original owners widow recently. Comes with build sheet, all original dealer paperwork maint records etc. All the “original” paperwork looks like new including the sales receipt from the dealer in 1978. ($6700 exactly in 1978…)
All original except the Ford mirrors, lol and a big ole winch the original owner put on the front. (Would go nicely on the blue truck…). And I’m not sure if 78 models still came with the old style hubcaps like are on it. But regardless they are also supposedly mint.
Original paint with light use scratches and dings. Said the worst dings are in that picture on the top of bed and back of cab.
Truck is base model, 350/350, no AC tilt cruise and roll yer own windows.
Interior is supposedly even cleaner than the pic. Supposedly never stored in the sun for long periods in 45 years.
Runs drives, fluids changed and minor work done to make it driveable. Sitting on 30 year old tires that are rollers only.

What’s it worth? Need a gut check from the GMSB brain trust here. It’s not a steal but seems well below the high end prices for very similar original trucks on BaT. I’m considering purchasing it.
You must be registered for see images attach
I gotta be honest it's pretty clean. Minus the crap on the side of the bed, and those mirrors. It nice for a stock no frills truck. Down here in Texas that would be a sold 7K. If a couple of people were interested might get up to 9K.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Okay I have a question. My technician is looking to part with his (yes, I know it's not a squarebody) '93 Crew Cab Dually. The truck is mostly immaculate except the clear coat is starting to come off the tops of the bed rails, and the wheel flares. There is one small dent in the top edge of the tailgate.

The truck has less than 15K miles on it. Unfortunately it's powered by a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. However, it's a mechanical injection system, not the dreaded DS injection pump. These are older photos, but the guy is very particular about his equipment. So other than the aforementioned paint and dent issues the truck still looks quite good.

What's it worth?

One of the guys I work with just got something similar. It all started when he bought a 94 Pickle Fork boat. He wanted to find something to color match the boat, and haul it. His has a 454, and a manual trans. It is in pretty good shape like this one is. Interior needs help. He had to do a few things to it. The lady was asking 7K, he told her with all the stuff that needs to be fixed, 6100. He took it home for that. As clean has the one you are looking at and it having the motor it has in it... I'd say 8K, maybe 9K

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I gotta be honest it's pretty clean. Minus the crap on the side of the bed, and those mirrors. It nice for a stock no frills truck. Down here in Texas that would be a sold 7K. If a couple of people were interested might get up to 9K.
Wow, that seems low, and contrary to what some of the other Texas boys have said in the past (in general).
But thanks for the input. I was in the $10k ish camp personally. Also been for sale for a few weeks now, asking $12k.
That said I haven’t seen it in person. The mirrors and the goofy bed tie downs (why does it seem every grampa truck that is in good shape from the 70s/80s had 20 different accessories screwed to the sheetmetal?). There were 9 of those damn things installed on the ‘86 at some point. 27 holes and 9 dents that needed fixed….
one of the only things that is making me think twice. If there’s dozens of scratches, dings and holes in the body, it basically kills the value of original paint IMO.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Wow, that seems low, and contrary to what some of the other Texas boys have said in the past (in general).
But thanks for the input. I was in the $10k ish camp personally. Also been for sale for a few weeks now, asking $12k.
That said I haven’t seen it in person. The mirrors and the goofy bed tie downs (why does it seem every grampa truck that is in good shape from the 70s/80s had 20 different accessories screwed to the sheetmetal?). There were 9 of those damn things installed on the ‘86 at some point. 27 holes and 9 dents that needed fixed….
one of the only things that is making me think twice. If there’s dozens of scratches, dings and holes in the body, it basically kills the value of original paint IMO.
Yeah everyone is pipe dreaming now, everyone thinks they have Gold, when all the have is copper. I have seen some guys ask stupid money for crap trucks. I had one guy tell me he saw a truck just like his sell for 71K in Barrett Jackson. That's why he's asking 10K it needs just a little TLC... it needed floor pans, rockers, cab corners, all of the glass, fenders, hood, bed looked like it hauled rocks all of its life. Didn't run, transferase wouldn't come out of gear, but it just needed a little TLC. Guy still has it, and the price is much lower. When it comes down to it... What you want for it, and what you get are usually two different things.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

Well, it is stock, but it's not no-frills. I'm sure it's Silverado trim, or whatever they called it on a GMT400. The mirrors are because he uses it primarily to tow a trailer. I kind of figure if you're operating a dually it's for towing, I don't know that you'd want all that extra width in the hips for the few extra pounds of cargo capacity. So, one would hope they go along with the purpose.

I don't know why people hate running boards so much, but I admit they are a little awkward on a dually. One could always take them off.

Thanks for your input. It seems to be falling around the $8-10K mark. Mostly because of the engine and age I guess. It's sad how little value such a clean, low-low mileage truck has.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Here is a new 25 with those caps. Are the wheels six or eight lug, or only five?

The company always took file pictures before a new truck went into service.
I saved the photo to file, then enlarged it to 459%. The way I read it, it says Sierra 25. For this era, Chevrolet used 10, 20 & 30. GMC used 10, 25 & 35.

GMC 25 is a 3/4 ton, with 8 lug hubs.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well, it is stock, but it's not no-frills. I'm sure it's Silverado trim, or whatever they called it on a GMT400. The mirrors are because he uses it primarily to tow a trailer. I kind of figure if you're operating a dually it's for towing, I don't know that you'd want all that extra width in the hips for the few extra pounds of cargo capacity. So, one would hope they go along with the purpose.

I don't know why people hate running boards so much, but I admit they are a little awkward on a dually. One could always take them off.

Thanks for your input. It seems to be falling around the $8-10K mark. Mostly because of the engine and age I guess. It's sad how little value such a clean, low-low mileage truck has.
I think you are quoting the wrong post. My quote was from Grit dogs post.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I think you are quoting the wrong post. My quote was from Grit dogs post.

Ah. I thought the two responses were a little crossed up. Should have dig deeper.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Ah. I thought the two responses were a little crossed up. Should have dig deeper.
LOL... It's Okay we are allowed one mistake. :happy175:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

That’s because it’s unfortunately not that desirable to the majority of truck buyers. It’s something I’d buy tomorrow if I was say a self employed contractor and wanted a work truck and no winter weather. But I’d ding the price for the same reasons as everyone else.
Now if it was a srw cc 4x4 gasser with 15k miles, Bonus if a 5 speed, it would be worth almost double. If it was a short bed Z71 in that shape with 15k miles it would be at least a $20k truck in todays market.
Nobody who was serious about diesels bought those trucks, even in the 90s and 2000s (used).
That’s just the breaks

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thinking about selling her. It just sits in the garage and doesn’t get used very often. What’s she worth?

1985 Silverado K10
2” Tuff Country EZ-Rides Front/Rear
Garage paint job 2020 base/clear
Zero rust
New a/c Everything replaced
3.42 gears
Weak SBC 350, headers, intake
All gauges work
700R4
Tires in good shape
Interior clean, but not OEM

Last edited:

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am reluctantly ready to sell my square and trying to figure out a fair price. 1977 K10 Heavy Half Scottsdale. 3rd owner (Dad was 2nd). No accidents. All rust remediated. Tons of work done in the last few years.

The bad:
- Left turn signal indicator in the cab doesn't work
- Clear coat on the rear is beginning to peel
- Door panel fit could be a little tighter

The good:
- runs great
- EFI Sniper with 87 tanks and in tank pumps and left and right work flawlessly
- Headers
- Roller Rockers
- Exhaust
- Retrosound radio
- 8; speakers including subs in custom box and 5 channel amp
- Spray in bed liner fem Xtream
- Custom bench seat
- New carpet kit, door panels, dash pad, wing windows, climate module, visors, and more

More pics and info

What's a fair list price in Oregon??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus