well, this isn't good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
You must be registered for see images attach

Sunday I was running the 250 and this happened. i didn't realize that the harmonic balancer was shot and i ran the engine (at a very high rpm) for about 10 minutes after this happened. the engine still runs but how can i tell how much damage has been done to the engine? I've been told that the 250 is internally balanced so nothing should be wrong. I've also been told that since the one part of the balancer is still on the crank that nothing should be damaged (something about the outer ring is balanced to zero and the part on the crank is the actual counterweight. NONE of these people are experts and you guys are so... how bad am I boned and what is next?

Thanks

Mike

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Over the years have seen quite a few dampeners fail like that. Nothing to worry about. Put a new one. It will be fine.

Might add re-check the timing. Those usually slip slightly before they become a 2-piece unit.

Last edited:

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Over the years have seen quite a few dampeners fail like that. Nothing to worry about. Put a new one. It will be fine.

Might add re-check the timing. Those usually slip slightly before they become a 2-piece unit.
when i get the new balancer on i'm going to not only going to check the timing but i'm going to do a full tune up. The truck is running rich and there is a slight miss and the throttle bogs at about half pedal...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I seriously doubt you hurt anything. Properly maintained, those engines just won’t quit.

If it makes you feel better, next oil change cut open the oil filter. If the engine is hurt, that’s the first place you will find debris. Actually, cutting the filter open at every oil change is good advice, it gives you an opportunity to monitor engine internals.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No expert...but I am the best till the best comes along! As I am "The Smart Man" lol.
I'd run it...

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
WOOHOO!!!!!!! I came home from a crappy day at work and what was sitting next to my gate? An early birthday gift from my buddy in Pennsylvania. What is in the box might you ask? A new lifetime warranty harmonic balancer. Gee, I was going to start to replace the transmission (i have a bad back so this is going to take some time) but now I can replace the balancer AND start to pull the transmission...... Weekend of fun coming up!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I have worked on trucks my entire adult life. I know there are no experts, just some people may know more than others.

I still remember the first time I found a loose balancer over 40 years ago. Buddy asked me to set the timing on his Olds'. I chalked the balancer, chalked the tab and hooked the timing light. Pulled the vacuum off the distributor and fired it. See nothing, rev a little and all of a sudden there is the mark! Now with each blink of the light the mark is moving, what?? Then it's gone, but after a few seconds there it is again, still moving..

From that day on, there is always something new to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub